Drum Sander

I have looked online for a mini drum sander but have been unable to find one. I prefer not to use the drill press conversion idea. Does anyone make a small drum sander that they would recommend? So far I have been using this. .

post-8351-0-29551500-1422501004_thumb.jpg

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

Model Machines makes a great thickness sander. Is that what you are looking for?

Russ

That's pretty much the same as the one I've got on my list - the Scheppach HG580 - for sanding inside curves. 

I'm toying with the idea of making a thickness sander as well, copying somebody's design - it's here:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/8927-home-built-thickness-sander/

Edited by Yambo

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.

I have an older Sears Craftsman oscillating spindle sander that I find very useful indeed for sanding inside curves (like frames). One thing I like about mine is that it has a large, square table. Some sanders (like the Rockler) seem to have very little table space in front of the spindle. I see that Grizzly makes one similar to mine for $160 - http://www.sears.com/1-3-hp-oscillating-spindle-sander/p-SPM1127850014

Even with the finest grit drum, these things are pretty aggressive, so you have to be careful when using them. But I'm really glad to have one.

Cheers -

John

I made my own sanding table. 

Base and two sides 3/4 ply

Table is 12" x 12"  3/4 ply with 3" hole in center.

I had this motor so I used it:

http://www.grainger.com/product/DAYTON-HVAC-Motor-3M083?searchQuery=3m083&nls=0&suggestConfigId=1

I wanted to be able to choose any grit abrasive so I have the sleeveless sanding drum kit  3", 2", 1", 3/4"

http://www.ptreeusa.com/abrasive_drums.htm

3 additional table tops are 1/4 ply with 2" , 1" and 3/4" holes

I mounted the motor using A23Z steel brackets like an old Erector Set project using nuts and screws:

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Building-Materials-Builders-Hardware-Joist-Hangers/N-5yc1vZaqxb/Ntk-Extended/Ntt-brackets?Ntx=mode+matchpartialmax&NCNI-5

A free sample of Armstrong kitchen flooring provided a mounting pad for motor to cut down on noise and vibration.

The motor has a 5/16" shaft a either end ( so CW or CCW rotation, depending ).   The drums will mount on either a 1/4" or 3/8" shaft.  To adapt them to the 5/16" motor shaft, I made adaptors from 3/8" cold rolled steel rod and bored a 5/16" hole thru the center and drilled and tapped a set screw.  I used a lathe to do this.

Since it sands with the brain, I use it to sand outside as well as inside curves.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Hi,

The Dremel speed is far too high to sand for long because it wears the abrasive far too quickly.

By popular acclaim, the Rigid Belt and Spindle sander Model # EB4424 is the best.  I've used all of the types above, but this one takes away the prize as the most useful.  The changeover from belt to spindle is very easy, the table is good with tilt and a miter gage slot, and it has a good dust collection design.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-120-Volt-Oscillating-Edge-Belt-Spindle-Sander-EB4424/100061671

Also a gum rubber cleaner stick is a useful accessory to clean the belt.   And the Shopsmith ceramic belts are the best in my opinion, but there are many options.

Edited by Bob Blarney

Here is another idea.  I used a 1/3 hp electric motor, a steel plate for the platten, hinged to 2 pillow blocks which I made for a steam engine-never completed, and added a vacuum support.  The pictures should be self explanatory but should have any questions, fire away.

The advantages include:
1. I can sand very small pieces by pushing them through with plywood pushers (see the plywood with square cutouts),
2. by removing the vacuum support, I can sand large frames one side at a time,
3, it uses 1.5" commercial sanding sleeves exactly like Tad shows above, and 
4. it cost me about $10 in materials and a few hours work, mostly turning the steel holder that is clamped to the motor arbor.

Duff

post-4688-0-14471800-1423051058_thumb.jpg

post-4688-0-37217200-1423051099_thumb.jpg

Hi, I was considering buying the proxxon mini shaper to see if could also be used for this purpose. Has anyone else used this tool?

Current Build(s):

• H.M.S Diana 1794 - Caldercraft 1:64 Scale

Completed Builds: