Plastic Kit for Beginner

galo

Hi everyone, I'm completely new to the ship building world and am very interested in getting started on my first model. Despite being new to the hobby, I know that construction difficulty varies depending on the type of boat. Which plastic kit would you recommend for a first time build? All help is greatly appreciated.

Galo,

Personally, I would recommend the Revell 1/50 scale Viking Ship as a great first ship model. It is a fairly good representation of the Gokstad ship and a fairly easy build. It runs about $30 USD and you can get it online on evilBay or hobby dealers if there is not a local hobby shop nearby.

The rigging is simple, the detailing is really nice considering the age and you can bring these out with washes. This was my first build after a 40 year hiatus.

Steve

post-647-0-97321900-1422657112_thumb.jpg

post-647-0-71071600-1422657141_thumb.jpg

post-647-0-50761100-1422657157_thumb.jpg

Edited by docidle

Current Build: Merit 1/48 Early Eco 80' PT Boat and Imai 1/50 Catalan Ship

Finished:

Revell 1/196 USS Constitution (My oldest son's school project)
Revell 1/72 Hanse Kogge
Revell 1/50 Viking Ship
Revell 1/72 U-Boat
Zvezda 1/72 English Medieval Ship Thomas

Revell 1/90 The Nina

Galo,

Ask yourself: 1) What kind of ships am I interested in?  2) How much room do I have to work in?  3) How much room will I have to display my finished model?  5) How much do I have to spend (for both kit and tools)?

Answering these few questions will give us a much better idea on what to recommend.

Regards,

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Thanks for the feedback Steve and ccoyle!

It might sound crazy, but I have an interest in commercial shipping. However, I've noticed model shipbuilding is heavily focused on naval vessels.

I have the room to work with most scaled models, but not really the space to display them. Most display areas are occupied by university books and soccer gear.

In terms of money to spend, it's not a huge amount as a student, but affording kits and the basic tools shouldn't be a problem.

Check the Revell plastic kits of tugs and other ships.  There are some research vessels and other commercial ships available.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Have you considered looking into paper (card) models?  There's far more kits of merchant vessels available in card than in any other medium.  Card is also probably the cheapest medium to work in - something to consider on a student budget.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

• 4 months later...

well then, I have to say im starting on plastic to find my way around ship modeling, and working at the same time with Elsie and Sultana.  Ive done a lot of armor and must commend docidle on his washes, that's terrific stuff, and off to ccoyle, I think I might find Clint Eastwood and the Baxters around that thread somewhere.......gringo