HMS Pickle by flyer - FINISHED - Caldercraft - Scale 1:64 - my interpretation

Peter - Yes, I can now see what you mean with the sheets,

Thanks for that.

Nearly at the end for you.

I've got to get back to my Pickle, but there is so much going on at present I only get to look at my shipyard and the pile of reference books for a minute or so before something else crops up!

One day, one day - at least I'm getting my money's worth!!!

John

Hi Michael

Thanks. Your spectacular Vasa would look fine with sails! ;)

Hi John

If ever you need some additional information to help you to make the best of your limited time please feel free to ask. :)

Cheers

peter

anchors

I forgot to mention the anchors (I bought a second one from CC. No responsible skipper would sail with only one anchor. There is even a smaller third anchor but it's stowed below deck.).

The anchor cable thread really was too bright. I dyed it with the same mixture of black and sage tea I use for the sails. Unfortunately it was only long enough to provide one anchor with it. The cable for the other one is stowed below deck and will be brought to the anchor when near land again. The anchors lie on the bulwark capping rail which carries the whole weight of 175kg (3,5 cwt) each. Therefore the two simple 0.25 mm threats should be able to hold one.

post-504-0-52832600-1461844139_thumb.jpgpost-504-0-78258800-1461844140_thumb.jpg

Nice work, Peter.  Your hold is going fill up pretty fast with those anchors, the grog for the crew you've worked so hard, and the delectably dried pease.

Have you settled on Pickle's berthing spot?

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Hi Martin

Peas are ok but should I really spoil the crew with alcoholic drinks?

Pickle will berth in a book case. Now I only have to find stowing room for the books - and Pickles hold is full...

Cheers

peter

Pickle finished

It was a pleasure to build that schooner. The kit has a great potential and is generally of good quality. Although I do not fully agree with Caldercraft's interpretation of that rather sparsely documented historical vessel I am glad for the great opportunities that kit presents.

While shooting those pictures I had again a fight with my camera. The previous one broke halfway through the build and the replacement from the same company (starts with C...) is hardly usable - even when the pictures are reworked. I'm considering a replacement from another company.

post-504-0-24532700-1461952981_thumb.jpgpost-504-0-71552800-1461952983_thumb.jpgpost-504-0-74476600-1461952984_thumb.jpgpost-504-0-74628700-1461952986_thumb.jpgpost-504-0-93956800-1461952991_thumb.jpgpost-504-0-78487200-1461952992_thumb.jpgpost-504-0-60339800-1461952993_thumb.jpgpost-504-0-64836900-1461952988_thumb.jpgpost-504-0-81656300-1461952987_thumb.jpgpost-504-0-52432500-1461952989_thumb.jpg

A beautiful ship Peter,

congrats my freind...  :)

and well presented with those lovely pictures

Nils 

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hi Nils

Thank you very much. Quite flattering comment from the scratch-builder of such a beauty as 'SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse'. :blush: :blush: ;)

peter

Wonderful! I've much enjoyed this one, and look forward to the next! Beautifully finished. The sails are especially pleasing and well crafted.

Thanks very much

Tony

Thanks for this wonderful build. I've enjoyed following along quietly, thinking ahead to building a schooner of my own. I appreciate your careful photography and documentation of every step.

Nicely done Peter...... great looking sails!!!!...........Congrats! :cheers:

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Many congratulations Peter

A fantastic build - the whole log could be picked up and printed as a "How to build a model ship (properly)" book.

For me, I like to have a goal - and your Pickle has shown the standards that can be achived so thanks for that...

I think we all look forward to your new build - once you've recovered from this one

....... I think a good bottle of something Swiss would be in order!!  Pröschtli !!!!

John

Beautiful job, now on to the next build????

• 2 months later...

Gentlemen,

While checking that log I found several unanswered posts. Sorry.

Thank you all for the compliments. Pickle really came out quite fine. She now has a fine berth in a book case in our bedroom - with the full support of the admiralty!

I'm already struggling with my next project - Mamoli's America. This is on a quite different quality level but fun nevertheless.

Cheers

peter

Hi Peter -- America?  That's quite a new direction isn't it?  No more 18th Century?  Still, I'm glad to see you keeping at it, your builds and your commentaries are always a pleasure.

Cheers, and let us know when you're starting the new build.

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Hi Martin

Between HMS Victory and Pickle were about 50 years. About the same age difference as between Pickle and America. While the first two follow approximately the same construction principles, the second two show a huge step forward in understanding hydrodynamics and hull forms. Fascinating. But America is still a schooner with that relatively simple rig which asks for full sails to be set.

The build has already started - just follow the link on the bottom of my post. And I will most probably travel back in time again after America.

Cheers :)

peter

• 4 years later...
37 minutes ago, Pete Collins said:

(new to model ship world so hope this message is OK) 

Hello Pete, welcome to MSW. Why not post a message in the 'New Members Introduction' thread? That will draw attention to your project and allow you to get a few 'heads up' comments on your build.

Looking forward to hearing how you do with Pickle.

😊

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Hi Pete

Welcome to MSW. Pickle is a wonderful subject. The prototype is not really well documented, so you have a certain liberty how to finish the model.

Bruce's suggestion is a good one. Don't forget to  start a build log. That way you will get a lot of help and motivation to carry you on. Have fun!

Cheers

Peter

On 12/31/2020 at 1:54 PM, Pete Collins said:

Have just ordered Caldercraft Hms Pickle so will be following any references on Model ship world. Very keen to produce as near scale model as possible. Any info will be much appreciated.

Pete Collins

(new to model ship world so hope this message is OK) 

Hi Pete,

Welcome to MSW and to the Pickle Farm!!

I've started Pickle quite a few years ago now and am only half-way through as life keeps getting in the way.

Apart from plastic modelling that I did in my younger days, Pickle was the first model that I have done, especially anything like this real wood type of stuff.

There are many far better modellers on here who simply blow me away with their skill levels. Just one example, you certainly won't go far wrong by studying Flyer's build that's for sure.

Feel free to check my build log out - it's not quite as 'professional' as others but you may never the less get some hints and tips from it - even it it's 'how not to do things'!!!

Good Pickling.

John 

• 2 years later...

hello flyer,

thanks to your build log I have not started with the pickle kit yet. Indeed I am very grateful for your post.

I also tried to find out what ship I am about to build. It seems calling it Pickle is quite risky.

Please kindly read my comment in the forum of Modelshipworld "Wooden kits - HMS Pickle Caldercraft". It would be of great interest what you think about it.

I would be very pleased to hear from you.

best regards

Franz (from Bavaria)

• The title was changed to HMS Pickle by flyer - FINISHED - Caldercraft - Scale 1:64 - my interpretation