40' Cruising Sailboat by BenF89 - 1:12 Scale

if that is to be a permanent bulkhead,  a bead of cement will seal it up and fill the gap.  it's not a lot ;)    so good to see you making progress with this  project!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Denis,

No - not permanent yet; using it as a temporary to ensure the other bulkhead templates remain square. I'll be able to re-fair the curve of this bulkhead, and trust my gut on the other templates. But - yeah, if it was permanent I'd use a gap filling glue or putty or something (assuming it would even be visible once the deck and furnishings were built in).

And, yes - I'm happy to be making progress, too. Fits and starts with this, given work and three kids 5 and under... trying to make as much progress as I can before it gets hard again (whenever that may be)

~ Ben

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Builds:

'Doll-Boat' - 1:12 scale 40' Cruising Sailboat

S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald - 1:350 plastic kit w/ Photo Etch Parts (On Hold)

I remember my days with two boys.......enjoy while it lasts ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Thanks all for the comments and likes! Pressing forward...

BULKHEAD TEMPLATES COMPLETED

My mother-in-law is in town and staying with us this week, but as part of her visit she got a hotel room nearby for a couple nights and took our two older kids (almost 5 and almost 3) to stay with her. So, with just the baby, there was a bunch of time over the weekend to make progress. I was able to finish making templates for all the major bulkheads. (There's technically still one at the very far aft I couldn't do, since the blocking for the big centerline beam-jig-thing is in the way, but it's not a critical bulkhead to the arrangement; it has more to do with aft cockpit than the below-deck interior.)

The first picture shows in-process how I used the temporary full bulkhead. It did two things for me.

IMG_3842a.thumb.jpg.b12bd8b634c3da50b5d5200bd90be1ac.jpg

Bulkhead Templating In Process

(1) It allowed me to cut a length of a basswood plank to the distance from the 'datum' bulkhead to the one I was templating. Setting the cut plank square to the datum, I moved it out to the gunwale, port and starboard. This gave me a centerline point (measured along the jig with a tape measure) and a point on each side that I used to align the 1/32 strip used to make the shape.

(2) As can be seen in the picture, I used that same length of plank to set the distance to the vertical support of the bulkhead template. That's the long length of plank running from the 'datum' bulkhead to the first template aft of it. Once I had a couple templates set, I also used what I trimmed off the plank as a spacer between the templates, so that the verticals were set to be vertically plumb/square to the jig and each other template.

The result of the whole process is seen in the following pictures. I ended up not using the strips for the forward most bulkhead; I found that a crudely carved and sanded balsa block got me close enough (I think....)

IMG_3855a.thumb.jpg.cd80bc3f631ac66af7adf3f00f32ad8c.jpg

IMG_3857a.thumb.jpg.45c3091aaa28ef8ca3373493bbfa52ad.jpg IMG_3856a.thumb.jpg.21ae76aea73abcd40612d721f732dc6e.jpg

Bulkhead Templates Complete

The next step is to transfer these templates back to the patterns I've made from the model, come up with a consistent way to line them up, and then re-adjust the cut pattern to match. And then I can cut the bulkheads!

My current problem is that I need to get my 'production design caught' up to my progress - I haven't quite worked out the details of how I'm attaching the deck (which I'm told is an important component of below-deck arrangement). My current idea is a kind of horizontal 'beam' each side of the bulkhead that the main deck panel rests on:

IMG_3858a.thumb.jpg.06525b62d8f9fea8f4978f1432565f96.jpg

Deck Installation Concept

Any gap between the deck panel and the bulkhead can be filled with glue or putty and sanded flush, and then finish planking will go over top. The challenge I see with this approach is that the work of putting the deck beams on the bulkhead would be best done off-boat, but then there's the risk they don't line up correctly. But, putting them on in the boat could be a challenge because space would be restricted, I'd be working from above, and it would be hard to ensure square/level.

The other challenge would be space - near the ends of the boat, there probably won't be enough room between the deck and the hull for the support - the deck itself will be nearly resting on the hull. So that's another thing to ponder through. 

Finally, I'm debating whether or not running a couple longitudinal (or even angled) deck beams as far outboard as I can to support the edges of the decks would be beneficial, or if the rigidity of the 1/8th won't make that necessary. 

~ Ben

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Builds:

Hi Ben

It’s great that you had more time to get work done on your boat (thank heavens for your Mother in Law!). 

Nice progress with the templates and bulkheads. Lots of issues / problems to ponder over, it seems, but I’ve got no doubt that you’ll work out what’s best. 

Have a great week. 

Cheers 

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Thanks for the responses everyone! I appreciate the 'company' on my hit-and-miss adventure of a project. And I hope the patience will be paid off, because 3 years, 2 months, and 15 days after I started this build log, I put the first bulkheads in the hull!

CUTTING AND FITTING BULKHEADS

As mentioned above, I first traced out the templates onto my pre-printed patterns derived from the 3D design model. None matched perfectly, which I anticipated. In all cases, when I lined the bottom of the template up with the bottom of the pattern, the gunwale was quite a bit lower than I had estimated. So I had to do some adjustment of the deck and cabin overhead shape to compensate. Since I'm not putting a real cabin on top, I didn't worry about re-fairing the whole thing in the computer; I just winged it. With only a couple bulkheads even showing a complete transverse section, it won't even be noticed if they aren't quite right relative to each other. (Side note: I've mentioned this before, but in a great sense of irony, this project is helping me put my perfectionist tendencies into check - I'm allowing it to be a learning process, since it's not a display model - it's a doll house to be played with. So I do the best I can, and catalog away what works and what doesn't for next time...)

Then I cut out most of the bulkheads:

IMG_3868a.thumb.jpg.c625e774d26b9afa4c8bab69b0e3876f.jpg

Bulkheads 1 - 6 Cut

Once the number 2 bulkhead was cleaned up, I set it in the boat. I used spacers set based on the distance from my temporary 'datum' bulkhead to ensure it was spaced correctly and square. I used a steel mallet to apply clamping weight while the glue set. 

IMG_3887a.thumb.jpg.fbe705d1963979af7be59a119e9122b8.jpg

Bulkhead 2 Installation

While I was waiting for that bulkhead to set, I prepped bulkhead 3, which replaced the temporary. I had a heckuva time getting the glued-on paper off at first, before I figured out how to effectively peel it back to get the bulk off, and then remembered I had a small plane I used to get spots where it wouldn't completely come off. This worked well for bulkhead 4 (which is much 'cleaner' than 3) .... but for bulkhead 3, I sanded. A lot. I eventually got it to where I was happy enough, given that I'll end up planking over the bulkhead to give it a 'finished interior' look.

Also note I did move forward with the plan of having a landing either side of the bulkhead for the deck. The landing block is spaced down from the deck level 1/8", which is the thickness of the deck plate. This (should) make the deck plate flush with the cutouts in the bulkheads, so that when I plank over the deck plate, I can run planks continuously through, again giving a 'finished' look.

IMG_3888a.thumb.jpg.5237e56a78add7290e7db5d9aa92117d.jpg

Bulkhead 3 ready for installation. 

Once Bulkhead 2 had set, and 3 was ready, I installed bulkhead 3 using the same process as bulkhead 2, but with the added step of adding clothespins to keep the bulkhead from falling aft. With number 2, the hull is narrowing forward, so the spacers alone can press it into the hull to keep it in place. With number 3, the hull is widening aft, so the spacers don't have the same effect. The clothespins keep it from moving aft, while the spacers are there to keep it square to the other bulkhead.

IMG_3896a.thumb.jpg.153fb0716c4d8db7df6b1f92905b5522.jpg

Bulkhead 3 Installation

While Bulkhead 3 set, I started the process of prepping bulkhead 4. The cleanup part went better, as I figured out better ways of getting the paper off. A test fit of the bulkhead revealed it didn't fit right, though. Some investigation demonstrated I hadn't quite got the shape right near the gunwale - the template captured it correctly, but I didn't cut it quite right. I also noticed that (as I feared) the landings for the decks aren't quite aligned/level, either longitudinally bulkhead-to-bulkhead, or transversely. I don't think I'll end up chopping anything out, given my commitment to being ok with imperfection, and my desire to move forward. I think part of the issue was that I didn't put in a centerline mark, so I didn't really have a good reference line to square against when adding the landings or installing the bulkheads. Another lesson learned for next time. For now, I'll shave and shim to get everything aligned, so long as everything looks mostly right. I may even leave it un-level to maintain squareness between the vertical openings (like the door in bulkhead 3) and the deck.

______

P.S. - I did get to build another model over the weekend, with some helpers. I built the hull, and then they helped put the 'superstructure' and features above and within the hull. Our challenge was to use every block we have. We did.

IMG_3894a.thumb.jpg.c111638ade9c42c450be0d7cd58ad0c6.jpg

IMG_3891a.thumb.jpg.e9941aa5e409ab32a9127d0ceee181dd.jpg

IMG_3890a.thumb.jpg.c73115e42c4ae56dc5b174011915b152.jpg

Of course, she didn't last long. After a tragic collision with another vessel, she began to sink and break apart. Fortunately, the pieces of wreckage were used to quickly make life boats and rafts for the passengers, which consisted of some small people dolls (like the one above), a wooden duck, a couple wooden horses, a pink and a purple pony, a horse, and a small plastic dog. All were saved.

Edited by BenF89

~ Ben

Current Builds:

Hi Ben

Well, it looks like you’ve mastered the jigsaw because those bulkheads look nice and neatly cut out, particularly the door openings. 

Now that they’re installed, it’ll be smooth sailing from her in, I’m sure. Another milestone reached. 

I can see you’ve got another budding naval architect in the family as well. You must be pretty proud!  

Have a great week. 

Cheers 

Patrick

1 minute ago, Omega1234 said:

Well, it looks like you’ve mastered the jigsaw because those bulkheads look nice and neatly cut out, particularly the door openings. 

Thanks Patrick, but there was a bit of filing and sanding that had to happen before they were put in. I didn't take close ups of the raw-cut pieces for a reason... :)

And, we'll see how smooth the sailing is. But it does feel that all the legwork up front (and the many hours of just pondering) are starting to bear fruit.

~ Ben

Current Builds:

7 minutes ago, BenF89 said:

Thanks Patrick, but there was a bit of filing and sanding that had to happen before they were put in. I didn't take close ups of the raw-cut pieces for a reason... :)

And, we'll see how smooth the sailing is. But it does feel that all the legwork up front (and the many hours of just pondering) are starting to bear fruit.

Shhh Ben!  You're not supposed to admit to all of the mistakes that you've made along the way;)!!!!  I always remember the first time I used a jigsaw...I swear it had a mind of its own.  Damn thing just wouldn't behave and ever since then, my jigsaw and I have had a sort of love/hate relationship...

On a more serious note, yep, you're right.  All of your hard work is starting to come to fruition now, that's for sure.

Keep the updates coming.

Cheers

Patrick

I think you need more of those blocks!  :)   Brandon {my oldest}  was the Lego kid in the family.....one night during a power outage,  we build a city block!.  yes,  that's how many Lego's he had  ;)    fuel the fire!.....by all means  ;) 

look'in good.......so glad your able to put some time into it.   

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

FITTING BULKHEADS - PART 2

I fit Bulkhead 4 into the hull last night. It involved much frustration, since (1) it didn't fit in quite right, because I think I had some things misaligned when I traced the template, and (2) this section of hull doesn't have a lot of shape longitudinally, so the darn thing wanted to slide allover the place. There was nothing to wedge it into. But, I did get it in and glued up.

IMG_E3905.thumb.JPG.db61ca21f3ec7a03ab30b63d68718dcb.JPG

IMG_3899.thumb.JPG.b3e4db43ac1d894e9dba469d1296852d.JPGIMG_E3903.thumb.JPG.804851ae9cef47141437a9d2138bc618.JPG

Installing Bulkhead 4 - Top: Profile, Bottom Left: Bow, Looking Aft, Bottom Right: Stern, Looking Forward

With Bulkhead 4 in place, I turned my attention to two other tasks. First, I laid out a template for the section of deck between bulkheads 2 and 3. My approach is similar to what I did with the bulkheads - thin strips along the hull supported by transverse braces. The second thing I did was start prepping Bulkhead 5, which can be seen test-fit in the boat in a couple of the pictures above. And - for the sake of intellectual integrity, here's a picture of the rough-cut bulkhead before getting cleaned up:

IMG_E3898.thumb.JPG.3646e2924f774e8b0cb4ee8d346c5a16.JPG

Bulkhead 5 Rough-Cut

So there's a bit of work to be done. I got most of the outside (well, where it touches the shell) cleaned up and started on the inside. (Just as a note: this bulkhead is short because the top section of it has an angle forward which would form the forward end of the cockpit/aft end of the 'house'. I'm going to wait to do that piece until I've set in some of the longitudinal structure which defines the angle.)

Finally, here are some pictures of the overall boat so-far, away from the work station:

IMG_E3906.thumb.JPG.03d43946803c7d141c8c865230aa5315.JPGIMG_E3907.thumb.JPG.8b1fb33b42411cd197dc7ff2aacd3ed7.JPGIMG_E3909.thumb.JPG.3c529ea3fd322172ed4401b9d2f4e488.JPG

~ Ben

Current Builds:

Hi Ben

She’s coming along very nicely now.  The last few photos really sets the imagination going, because I can easily start to picture all the internal accommodation sitting in place.  

What’s more, I had almost forgot how shapely the hull is, until seeing these photos.  I reckon you’ve done a great job melding an old hull to a your own new design.

Job well done, I say!

Cheers. 

Patrick

Thanks Patrick! Yeah, I feel the same way - the arrangement is nearly materializing in front of me as the bulkheads start going in. It's really exciting, after so much time trying to figure out how to get from my mental picture to reality.

~ Ben

Current Builds:

On 4/23/2018 at 3:13 PM, BenF89 said:

I think that's normal for our work.  Cut, go "yuck" and sand until it looks good.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

sometimes scratch building can be full of odds and ends........fits odd but everything ended well ;)    if you planned the floor as you went along,  would that have made things go easier?   looking very good.......lining up well too ;)    very nice!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Well, the original plan was to do a continuous deck, and add the bulkheads above, but I couldn’t convince myself of a good way to get the shape of the deck, whereas making templates of the bulkheads seemed more straightforward, and with the bulkheads placed, I could template and install the deck in sections.

If I was confident of the shape of the deck from the beginning, it would have certainly been easier to set that in level, and square and set everything off of it.

In hindsight, it would have been a little better to do a bulkhead further aft, one that I could wedge against the hull. Then I could have braced the middle one from each side. But, like you said - fits in odd but ends well ;) 

~ Ben

Current Builds:

INSTALLING DECKS - PART 1

Last night I cut and installed the forward section of deck, and then templated, cut, and installed the second section of deck. I changed my method for the template for the second section - rather than fuss with glue, and wood which didn't want to stay where I put it, and also risk gluing the template to the boat, I decided to use a cereal box and rough in the shape, until it was basically right - similar to what I did in foam for the whole deck a while ago.

IMG_3910a.thumb.jpg.2c51d5536353318f7fa14a0684098443.jpg

First and Second Deck Sections in Place

I'm not worried about gaps between the deck and the hull since they'll be hidden behind the furniture (for the most part). The one spot so far where the intersection may be visible, I just filled with wood filler. Everything will eventually be planked over, too, so that adds another means of hiding imperfection in these pieces. I did find that the deck level at bulkheads 2 and 4 are higher than 3, so I'll need to add some filler/putty to make it all level. It's not too bad, but I don't want it to cause problems as I try to start fitting in the furnishings. I'll probably get the next bulkhead aft installed, and the third section of deck, before starting that process.

~ Ben

Current Builds:

there is also molding too........my best friend is 1/4 round.   look into Plastruct and Evergreen......they have a wide variety of stuff to play with :)    this is the hardest part........adjustments will be a lot easier once the rest of the bulkheads are in place.   looking really good so far

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Yes, I’ve already been thinking about using some type of trim or molding to define the perimeter of the walking-flat sections of deck (i.e., the part of the deck that’s visible once everything is built in). It would provide a transition from the horizontal of the deck to the vertical of the furniture or bulkheads. 

I’ve printed a bunch of model-scale plan, profile, and section cuts of the various spaces, and I’ve started to make notes on my ‘production design’ details. So that stuff should start showing up on the build table soon! Of course, I inevitably need more supplies. Just another excuse to run to the hobby store.... :D 

~ Ben

Current Builds:

MORE BULKHEADS AND DECKS

I had a very productive weekend with the boat. I installed three bulkheads, and the foredeck. I'll have to cut out and re-install one of the bulkheads , though - more on that in a bit. First, the forward bulkhead (no. 1). I ended up re-cutting this one; my original just didn't fit. Like at all. So I re-checked my carved template, and retraced it (without second guessing myself this time.) I made the bulkhead a bit taller than the sheer line, since my template didn't go all the way up to the gunwale. Then I used a strip of 3/16 inch x 1/32 inch basswood to mock in camber, used it to put a pencil line on the bulkhead, and the cut the top to match the camber. Finally, a bit of filing and sanding, and using braces to set the distance from Bulkhead 2 to shove it in place:

IMG_3913.thumb.JPG.3ce19c270843fab605f6fe73e7657591.JPGIMG_3915.thumb.JPG.edc5bcbaa63424aa577140bb3fee0200.JPG

Forward Bulkhead Installation

Next, I decided to get the foredeck on. I used 1/32-inch ... something that I had lying around (basswood maybe? I forget...). But I needed to make sure it had the camber, and I needed a gluing surface. So, I carved a piece of balsa to the shape of the camber, and trimmed the sides to the hull, and set it in a deck-thickness (or so) down from the top of the bulkhead. Then I used some 1/32 inch and 1/16 inch strips laid up along the hull set down from the gunwale a deck thickness to form a 3/32" gluing surface. Finally, I carved a small chunk to get a good glue joint at the stem. Two pictures below - first, in process, then, finished.

IMG_3916a.thumb.jpg.4ff736f0552f1499d2edb2f15fbfc637.jpgIMG_3918a.thumb.jpg.fa7935e208277c4a3fc4e5d0fce921d1.jpg

Installing Foredeck Landing

I cut the foredeck and put it in place, then trimmed and filed and sanded down the top of the bulkhead to be flush with the deck. However, using my huge mallet to give the pressure required for the glue to set resulted in my thin 1/32" wood being 'dented' - there was a large depression in the middle of the deck. So I spent a bit of time over a day or two puttying and sanding until I had a smooth, continuously cambered deck. A picture in-process is below:

IMG_3920a.thumb.jpg.28143b0d1948a66f34aed43d329d67cd.jpg

Foredeck Filling and Fairing in Process

In the background of the picture, Bulkhead 5 is being set. This is the one I'll have to replace. It's a short bulkhead, since the top part is angled forward (forming the back of the 'cabin'. As such, there was no way to line up the gunwale, and it was hard to 'eyeball' the level-ness. So I tried to level it by making sure it was level longitudinally to the next bulkhead forward at deck height port and starboard.  I realize that's a confusing sentence. Here's a sketch, followed by a picture of the process:

IMG_3926a.thumb.jpg.322976c39b3c4e8d91c5815be31885b1.jpgIMG_3919.thumb.JPG.e7e088059e2524ff002f885bc2816d33.JPG

Setting Bulkhead 5

Of course, the use of the words 'tried to' and 'should' are great foreshadowing that it didn't work. Once I set in Bulkhead 6, for which I was able to use the gunwale and my eye-gauge to check level, the un-levelness of Bulkhead 5 became glaringly apparent - it is totally wonky compared between 4 and 6. So, I'll cut it out and re set it. Fortunately (?) it fit so poorly there really isn't much glue holding it in at all, which should make it easy to get out!

Finally - here are some shots of the current state of the boat after the flurry of work this weekend. Bulkhead 6 is in place, and the foredeck is filled and sanded smooth. (You can kind of see the crookedness of Bulkhead 5 in the shot from the stern...)

IMG_3922a.thumb.jpg.2e670ae59008066833f0e4fae560bdd5.jpgIMG_3924a.thumb.jpg.c19dda0177c53694be288ef789f6177a.jpgIMG_3925a.thumb.jpg.15ea12beaccb4d4b56f82f26937ffcf8.jpg

Current State of Model

~ Ben

Current Builds:

love you weights.......you can never have too many hammers  ;)   the hard work is almost done........then you can get creative  :)     looks super!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

BULKHEAD 5 RE-DO/ AFT INTERIOR DECK

Small update. Last night I removed Bulhead 5, and even though it came out well, I decided to re-trace and re-cut it, since it fit so poorly. I also considered something Popeye had said about setting decks going along, and decided I had enough information to template the section of deck that needed to fit between Bulkhead 4 and Bulkhead 5. So I cut that, too. And, yeah - it helped a lot in setting the bulkhead. Now, rather than fiddling with bracing that kept falling down and shifting all over the place, the deck fit in beautifully, and I could throw my small square up against the bulkhead to make sure it was plumb. Or, at lease square to the deck.

All things considered, as much work as it is to build a hull, I can't wait to do it if only because I'll know what all the shapes are! Then I can set the deck and square off of it, like I wanted to here in the first place... Anyway, here's a picture from last night, with the deck and bulkhead just fitted in place. And, I did make sure the bulkhead was level (or at least parallel to the other bulkheads) this time. I actually glued them in this morning, after trimming out the deck landing on Bulkhead 5 where the deck is open.

IMG_3928.thumb.JPG.e2d6c303de6b9568b7b643c2cb8dc981.JPG

Bulkhead 5 and Aft Interior Deck - Dry Fit Check

~ Ben

Current Builds:

INTERIOR LAYOUT/FURNISHINGS WORK - FORWARD BERTH AND JOINERY GUIDES

Had another little sprint of progress over the week/weekend. First, I installed the forward vee-berth. I started by installing 'tabs' to support the upper part of the berth. I also took the plan (printed at model scale) and laid out my basic idea for stiffening the 1/32 inch material that forms the berth.

IMG_3934a.thumb.jpg.b9f917eddbd0271c68c6031830c6af1f.jpg

IMG_3931a.thumb.jpg.26eecd61a330439e40237c824ec782a6.jpg

IMG_3932a.thumb.jpg.b19ab24ee074c951c316e7186a284039.jpg

Installing Tabs and Checking Fit

While the tabs were setting, I laid out the stiffening on the 1/32 inch sheet. 

IMG_3933a.thumb.jpg.fd819b19120eef46de04b8e0f0b61a7f.jpg

Vee Berth Stiffening

After some templating, troubleshooting, and a little frustration, out popped the vee-berth assembly, which was installed in the boat.

IMG_3940a.thumb.jpg.6ce1a94c860ad9aa9dcb34fa984080a3.jpg

IMG_3941a.thumb.jpg.8543dd7c943ed5f9fb7aacfb9be2db2c.jpg

Vee Berth Assembly and Installation

(My hammers do serve more as weights than hammers these days....)

My next step was to start planning the build of the rest of the interior, so as to not make it more complex than needed, nor 'build myself into a corner' so to speak. I started by using the plans to mark out the interior boundaries. I laid the plan in, and then 'punched' along the bulkhead lines, then connected the dots with a straight edge and pencil.

IMG_3942a.thumb.jpg.07e4f2764fa5aae40ac9987d974a9086.jpg

Laying Out Head and Locker Bulkhead Locations

I offset the bulkhead lines by 1/8" to account for material thickness, and marked a line to place 'footing tabs', to guide bulkhead placement and provide a good installation joint. I'll eventually do the same on the vertical bulkheads, essentially 'framing out' the boundaries of the furniture. The below series of pictures is a space-by-space look at the footings on the deck, aft to forward:

IMG_3946a.thumb.jpg.b5dc2abe95b40d440191e9fcda6443b5.jpg

Looking aft: Galley (Starboard Side) and Quarter Berth/Nav Station (Port Side)

IMG_3945a.thumb.jpg.734c101ad5b0fc4a87095f4ff345a2d9.jpg

Settee/ Mid-Berths

IMG_3944a.thumb.jpg.a64b26ea1af12fb7680715d8a9611420.jpg

Lockers (Starboard side) and Head (Port Side).

You may notice I decided to simplify the lockers forward - rather than a 'jog' in the bulkhead, like with the head on the port side, it just runs in a straight line from bulkhead to berth. Here's an overall of the boat, showing the whole arrangement:

IMG_3943a.thumb.jpg.1316a530183168125ba61ca839f5630b.jpg

All Interior Layout Footings

Finally, I decided to have some fun. One of the owners has decided to come by to check on the progress. He seems happy.

IMG_3947a.thumb.jpg.0a9a8fd6116cb263003b3c0ce037e19c.jpg

And, here's the view from his perspective:

IMG_3948a.thumb.jpg.35816ee6064de0bdd54bc6111c37fbad.jpg

Next will be continued planning, and probably getting the verticals 'framed out' before I start laying the bulkheads in.

Edited by BenF89

~ Ben

Current Builds:

great progress Ben.......nice to see your beginning to frame out the wall petitions :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks guys for the support! I'm having a blast seeing it all come together.

INTERIOR LAYOUT/FURNISHINGS WORK - HEAD PART 1

Did a little bit more last night - started on the head, port side forward. I began by laying out 'tabs' on the forward and aft bulkheads to define where the various walls and shelves land. Then I added the outboard bulkhead, which had a couple more tabs on it to help define the sink/vanity shelf. Finally, I added the front of the sink/vanity, also with tabs to help define the top and the 'box' where the head itself goes.

IMG_3949a.thumb.jpg.e798e2bd5359e1e8e6eb3ca25cd5693a.jpg

Head Interior Joinery In-Process

Next, I used some cereal box cardboard to template the head platform and sink/vanity shelf. 

IMG_3950a.thumb.jpg.1e4110ecdfc5d112e3e2de4a45644e4b.jpg

Head Platform and Sink Shelf Template

Next step will be to do the sink shelf, and the two pieces which form the head platform. It has been a fun challenge to think several steps ahead to determine the right order to put things in - starting with those bulkheads or walls which can be placed only with guides on the bulkheads already in place, and then building out, so that as each piece is added with additional defining 'tabs', there is no piece to put in which I have to fumble with to place. It just sets in where the guides define it to be. Figuring out that right order of operations is tricky! Plus, I have to avoid building myself into a position where I can't get tools or hands in to do additional work. For this reason, I'll probably leave off the inboard walls, which separate the space from the rest of the boat, until I've done everything I need to do in that space. The locker face/dresser opposite to the head will probably be one of the last things built for that same reason.

Till next time!

Edited by BenF89

~ Ben

Current Builds:

• 2 weeks later...

[I've made a bunch of progress, just haven't had the chance to post an update. I'll break the work I've done since the last post over a couple entries.]

INTERIOR LAYOUT/FURNISHINGS WORK - SETTEE PART 1

I started with the next space aft of the head, which is the settee, or salon, or whatever those 'yachty' people call it (I guess the space is the salon, and the actual furniture piece is the settee? I dunno. I should probably know this... :huh:) Anyway, I decided to wait on finishing out the head space until I get the sink and head fixture selected or made. So, I cut out the various pieces of the settee benches and put reference tabs as appropriate on the pieces and the fore and aft bulkheads, then 'rough-fit' the assemblies into the boat. As seen in the dry-fit pictures below, the original design calls for two bench style seats, one of which is a little wider and can serve as an 'at sea' berth, or guest berth, or something. I think, technically, they both could if I built in the mechanism to deconstruct and reconstruct the benches into berths. But - 5 year old's play set. Nope. 

IMG_3957.thumb.JPG.29b8b0a6970920cb111f88764cd13ca6.JPG

IMG_3959.thumb.JPG.3854de4339d3901c755ca545236ca50c.JPG

Dry-Fit of Settee Components

However, I was somewhat unsatisfied with the arrangement for two reasons. One, it lacks interest. Yes, it mimics most boat interiors of this size, and when finished out with wood stains and varnishes and cushions and odd fruit arrangements they look fine, but it is kind of boring. Second, we've been discussing adding a wood stove for heating/cooking to our home, and that had me thinking about the charm of a small wood stove heater on boats. So, I did an on-the-fly re-design. My rationale is that it's a customized boat meant for living on, and so seating/berthing space is sacrificed for charm and visual interest. The revised plan is below.

IMG_3964.thumb.JPG.49fbf6f2e36b3e4b2b1f1635a2482dcd.JPG

IMG_3966.thumb.JPG.415c15bfd9c1e1a7885b035a74b8ff7c.JPG

Design Revision to Starboard Settee to Accommodate Wood Burning Stove

I haven't worked out exactly what I'm going to do with the chimney pipe in the actual model, since I imagine doing it wrong will result in an 83.7% chance of immediate destruction. But I really liked the overall concept (and, importantly, so did my Admiral, who had the 'doll boat' idea in the first place). So that's what I moved forward with. More to follow...

~ Ben

Current Builds:

INTERIOR LAYOUT/FURNISHINGS WORK - SETTEE PART 2

The first step in generating the new arrangement was to make the partition between the starboard settee bench and the space for the wood stove. This involved a couple tries with cardboard templates, and then tracing onto the work piece and scroll sawing out. (Many of the small pieces with generally straight lines I have been hand cutting, saving the scroll saw for larger or more complicated pieces.) Then, I had to trim down the starboard settee bench, re-do the cut end to have the same 'style' as the forward end, and then take the guide tabs off the aft bulkhead and relocate them to the partition. The below picture shows the partition in place, and the settee benches dry fit (again).

IMG_3971.thumb.JPG.33bcc4ab8d8bbf16ef7664e8abcdd7ae.JPG

Redesigned Settee Dry Fit

Once satisfied that everything fit the way I wanted, I permanently installed it, including the parts for the stove hearth itself. (I had done a little research on solid fuel stove installation in boats, so I made sure that there was the proper raised platform and clearances from the sides and back).

IMG_3973.thumb.JPG.3b7978851a0db674c030ae6c3838848b.JPG

IMG_3976a.thumb.jpg.6ccb9e74d047fa4f0d7c2c429f276dcd.jpg

Installing Settee and Hearth

You can see a little bit of improvisation in the lower picture. The piece I was installing wasn't big enough to fit the two larger hammers; just the largest and then the little hobby hammer that weighs almost nothing. So I piggy backed the middle hammer on top. If it works, right?

Here's a shot of the completed space:

IMG_3977.thumb.JPG.fd635363ac460dd6ae8426e2a06f90eb.JPG

Settee and Hearth Installed

I'm really happy with how it turned out. I think it does add a lot more visual interest to the space. I will eventually get some polystyrene plastic that has 'tile' impressions to line the hearth and make it look like a tile backing, with a small section of deck acting as a hearth pad, too (you can see it outlined on the deck). And the settee needs cushions. But, other than the finishing details like that, I was ready to move on to the next space aft.

~ Ben

Current Builds:

INTERIOR LAYOUT/FURNISHINGS WORK - GALLEY PART 1

I started work on the galley by tackling the under-cabinet toe-kick thing. I set the pieces on a balsa block, and used pins to keep the piece in the right shape while glue set:

IMG_3994.thumb.JPG.fe3653833660c7b405254569f37bb156.JPG

Galley Toe-Kick Jig

And here it is assembled, with guides added to the top for placing the cabinet walls:

IMG_3995a.thumb.jpg.3dfe0005a6126b9fc0c50811b3e9b1c6.jpg

Next I started on the notch for the galley stove, which will be free to rotate transversely (like on a real sailboat, to accommodate for heel). I began with the cabinet face, then I did the back and sides kind of all at once, using a mix of 1/8" x 1/8" and 1/8" x 1/2" basswood as tabs/guides to set the pieces relative to each other, and to provide a place to secure the bottom of the notch. Below is an 'in-process' picture:

IMG_3997a.thumb.jpg.8984ec1e0aeef19fcc099763b90ee711.jpg

Galley Stove Notch In-Process 

And here's the completed notch, with a 5/32" dowel running through - the dowel will make the 'gimbals' for the stove.

IMG_4001a.thumb.jpg.2d9d40f638a7628bc86fa0b686616e15.jpg

Galley Stove Notch Complete

Finally, I added the cabinet walls which make the sides of the galley 'U' shape:

IMG_4002a.thumb.jpg.9c639574461040bbb5fc36816502df17.jpg

Galley 'U'

And here's a 'big-picture' shot of the boat, current state (note - the galley is just placed in, not glued in yet)

IMG_4004a.thumb.jpg.d482945ea58f53bd2da7adb428028250.jpg

Current State of Interior Fit-Out

This brings everything up-to-date with what I have done. I tried to do more with the galley last night, mainly adding the last two cabinet wall sections connecting the 'U' assembly to the fore and aft bulkheads, but ran into a bunch of alignment problems trying to fit it into the boat. Lots of things not quite square. So I am going to have to do some manner of fixing, and I'm debating starting over with the whole assembly. It'd be a bummer, but (1) this is actually a pretty complicated shape with lots of 90 degree angles, which needs to also fit into a space which doesn't quite have 90 degree angles, and (2) this would be the first whole-sale scrapping of an interior assembly, which given how much is done isn't too bad. I expected far worse. I'll take another look at it tonight, and determine the scope of making this work. I've already got some ideas of how to improve fit and shape if I have to take a hack at it again...

~ Ben

Current Builds: