HMS Victory by robert22564 - Caldercraft - scale 1:72

Hello Robert

Maybe you could patent that jig, it looks rather good. Yes the work on the canons and rigging them is really fiddly. I don't know about the frigging bit, there's lots of that during the frigging rigging, mark my words. Any way good luck with the guns. Try to enjoy it. DAVID

Frigging rigging.......love it :D  :D  :D

Just a quick update, the gunport linings of the port side have been completed, I've also primed the hull to show any imperfections needing attention before the dreaded copper plating, the port side has been given a first coat of yellow ochre and will be rubbed down before a top coat is applied.

Also as you all know i've bee working on the cannons.

post-17761-0-68318800-1427665807_thumb.jpg

post-17761-0-77444100-1427665810_thumb.jpg

post-17761-0-87230400-1427665813_thumb.jpg

post-17761-0-13642400-1427665816_thumb.jpg

The plan to go away for the weekend was cancelled to my delight........more time for me in the workshop :D

The port side linings have been completed and painted.

post-17761-0-04943700-1428098902_thumb.jpg

Another deck planked.

post-17761-0-05680900-1428099125_thumb.jpg

post-17761-0-16238000-1428099127_thumb.jpg

post-17761-0-58691500-1428099129_thumb.jpg

And work continues.

post-17761-0-71647500-1428099322_thumb.jpg

post-17761-0-67406600-1428099327_thumb.jpg

post-17761-0-75646200-1428099329_thumb.jpg

Greetings Robert

It's going like a dream. And the deck planking is excellent. Unless you have, don't fit the canon ball racks ( cannot remember the correct name for them) until you complete the work on the deck. keep them to one side and add a couple of coats of varnish to the assembly to ensure the canon ball stay connected. The road you know again . Well done Robert . DAVID

Greetings Robert

It's going like a dream. And the deck planking is excellent. Unless you have, don't fit the canon ball racks ( cannot remember the correct name for them) until you complete the work on the deck. keep them to one side and add a couple of coats of varnish to the assembly to ensure the canon ball stay connected. The road you know again . Well done Robert . DAVID

Thanks David, only dry fitted at the moment but a very good point, i'll make sure they're last to be fitted. :)

Looking good, I'm amazed at your build pace, it rivals Jerry' s speed and that's saying something!

It's probably looking that way right now Glenn, I'm living and dreaming Victory at the moment and can't think of anything else right now.

Enjoying the build so much :) , but other duties are starting to pile up which will need to be addressed sooner rather than later.

It. will slow down. :(

So the copper plating begins, I've decided to use a medium super glue gel for this task as it gives me some control on the quantity needed, I'm not really that confident on how this is going to go, so the plan is to take my time, do the best I can and pray :D

I know quite a few of you have decided to start on the waterline but I've elected to stick with what the instructions say and start at the keel.

If it does start to go tits up and get a bit scrappy i'll copper leaf the entire hull when finished, this should hide any imperfections and give a uniform look when complete.

We'll see how it goes, I'll update regularly on here my progress, fingers crossed :huh:

post-17761-0-04514200-1428346196_thumb.jpg

Robert, you're being too hard on yourself. The copper plating is just fine, the Caldercraft plates aren't designed to overlap like the real ones did and in addition cutting and fitting together at the bow and stern as you have done is the only way.

Gary

Robert, although Im sat in costa atm,(working) your plating to great from here.

Keep up the good work dont rush it. If you dont like that little bit take it off..

I did er so many times I need about 1500 new plates... opps

Rich.

Builds in Progress:   HMS Victory

Completed Builds:   Constucto Enterprise

Future Builds 2021/2022 USS Constitution

Thanks for your kind words of encouragement guys and for the PM's "you know who you are" ;)

It's looking like I've sorted the problem, I was using scissors to cut the plates which made them curl and to be quite frank, the measuring  was pretty sloppy on my part. :angry:

I've re-Done some of the infill plates with a small steel rule and sharp scalpel, the results are much much better, cleaner looking lines :)

I'll post a pic later this evening.

Now I'm happy to proceed. :D  :D

I was planning to make my own plates but your sterling work has me pondering - I don't think there should be too much of an issue using 1:72 parts on a 1:75 build but did these come with the kit or are they the Amati ones from CMB?

Cheers,

Philip

Hello Phil. I'm using the plates that was supplied with the kit but i'm quite sure the ones from cmb are exactly the same, well I hope so because I'll be needing a few more. :D

Hello Robert.

Well, well, well... How did I miss your site?  You are doing a beautiful job on Victory and the copper plating looks so neat and crisp.  I began at the waterline like most but it seem that your idea has merit.  From what I have seen by reviewing your site you are building one fine looking model.  The finish, in particular, looks terrific as the very neat gun port linings.  All in all, your build is to be much admired.  I look forward to your progress.

Best,

Jerry                                                          

Hello Robert.

Well, well, well... How did I miss your site?  You are doing a beautiful job on Victory and the copper plating looks so neat and crisp.  I began at the waterline like most but it seem that your idea has merit.  From what I have seen by reviewing your site you are building one fine looking model.  The finish, in particular, looks terrific as the very neat gun port linings.  All in all, your build is to be much admired.  I look forward to your progress.

Best,

Jerry                                                          

Hello Jerry, I must admit, reading a compliment like that does give one a boost, I thank you for that :)

Have a wonderful day Jerry.

Robert.