HMS Victory by robert22564 - Caldercraft - scale 1:72

Hi David, yes you've answered Morts question ;)

I suppose it's a blessing that this has happened now and just reminds me that anything that's having rope attached to it should be securely fixed in place. :rolleyes:

I can just about sort this with the openings I have so i'll use a two part epoxy to make sure this stays fixed :)

post-17761-0-32804200-1481372375_thumb.jpg

post-17761-0-08052700-1481372378_thumb.jpg

I've just read through your log and I have learnt so much during the process, thank you .  I can't start my build (my first ) until after the new year but can't wait.  Just one small question - did you settle on 160gsm black card for the deck caulking because it looks stunning.

Cheers

Nigel

Cheers

Nigel

Current Build - HMS Victory, Caldercraft - scale  1:64,  started September 2021

Cutty Sark, Constructo - scale 1:115, finished August 2021

HMS Bounty, Constructo - Scale 1:50 - First wooden kit build, finished April 2019

I've just read through your log and I have learnt so much during the process, thank you .  I can't start my build (my first ) until after the new year but can't wait.  Just one small question - did you settle on 160gsm black card for the deck caulking because it looks stunning.

Cheers

Nigel

Hi Nigel, it's really pleasing to know others pic up a tip or two from my build log as i'm also a beginner. As to your question, yes I did settle on the 160gm black card for the caulking.

Thanks for the comments, I'm pleased with the way it came out but if i'm honest and could start again i'll probably reduce it to 120gm, that'll bring it better into scale in my opinion, also note I have been told i'm my own worst critic.

Regards Robert. :)

Hello Robert, I am following your build log and saw in yesterdays post that you have coppered the Belfry roof, I then checked my own photos of Victory for confirmation. It's amazing how one can overlook small details, thus the value of this Forum for all of us. Thanks to you I have now coppered the roof on my Victory, which is very timely since I am near completion of the Standing Rigging and things will only get more crowded from here on out.

Gary 

Hi Robert.

Nice coppering on the roof.

I think a lot of work ? :D  :D

And another fix ?????

You have to teach me about the word fix.....I always thought it was making something better as the original or for the first time.

But when I'm reading your log I see ....fixed and fix  :P

Sjors

Hi Robert.

Nice coppering on the roof.

I think a lot of work ? :D  :D

And another fix ?????

You have to teach me about the word fix.....I always thought it was making something better as the original or for the first time.

But when I'm reading your log I see ....fixed and fix  :P

Sjors

Haha, yeah, you'll be seeing that word many times in my log......I'll give you my defenition, "broken but now repaired = fixed"  :P

I like your coppered roof.

I broke exactly the same part, epoxy glue is very, very useful, I use it more often now.

About the Quarterdeck Barricade Assembly: looks very good. However, after glueing it onto the deck, the beams will follow the curve of the deck. As a result, the supports, pillars and hammock cranes may not be vertical anymore. I had some problems getting them vertical anyway.

Another issue with the Barricade is the size. It is about the same height as the Belfry, which is too tall. I have accepted it, but I'm not completely happy with it.

Cheers, Paul

Regards, Paul

Ok, cleaned up the belfry roof

post-17761-0-69007500-1482001707_thumb.jpg

The Barricade Assembly in place.

post-17761-0-95703400-1482001709_thumb.jpg

I got a bit carried away and, well........ended up in a world of my own and achieved this thus far, I've started so I'll have to finish, right ?

post-17761-0-98886000-1482001711_thumb.jpg

post-17761-0-08026200-1482001714_thumb.jpg

post-17761-0-85339400-1482001715_thumb.jpg

post-17761-0-49480300-1482001717_thumb.jpg

post-17761-0-47987500-1482001719_thumb.jpg

post-17761-0-50562000-1482001721_thumb.jpg

post-17761-0-49750600-1482002038_thumb.jpg

Hi Robert,

Your work is superb and a genuine inspiration. Your rate of progress is also most impressive. It has certainly helped encourage me with my build of this fine ship. Time, I think, to introduce myself formally on this site, and start to share my own experiences of the challenges this kit provides.  

Keep up the great work!

Graham

Greetings Robert

Well here we go again !!!!! Cracking build and now we are treated to fine art work!!!!! and not a brush stroke to be seen. I did not dare take a close up like you have. Here's a photo of mine. OK !! it's jotikas really. I painted thin strip and glued it on, which it looks like jotikas have done DAVID

post-96-0-77016100-1482089804.jpg

Little by little, step by step we make progress and I must admit I'm pretty pleased the way that section has turned out, yes i'll keep touching up here and there aiming for perfection.

I'll have to stop here as I haven't any decking prepared ready so I'll be making some more.

post-17761-0-34559000-1482098524_thumb.jpg

post-17761-0-01856600-1482098527_thumb.jpg

I see a little Vincent van Gogh  :D  :D  :D

Great painting on the figurehead and a beautiful build overall !

Nicely done!

And for you and your family also a Merry Christmas !

Sjors

Very nice progress, Robert. Excellent job. Quarter deck barricade well done, no visible deviation from the vertical. Turns out I was over-concerned...

Progress on the beakhead, roundhouses and bow is impressive. You were well prepared.

I'm happy you're ahead of me now: gives me the opportunity to pick up your solutions :)

Regards, Paul

Thank you for such nice comments Paul. I would like to take this opportunity to thank all of you who takes interest in my build log, your oversight is much appreciated. ;)

To all members of MSW, I would like to wish you & your families a very merry Xmas & a prosperous new year :)

Hello Robert

Merry Xmas to you and all your family. OK show us your new toy. Have a look at OC log, Old collingwood who is building The Warspite. You can join he's dam camera club. I have had words with him. Yep see he's log last two pages !!!!!!!. I think he's log is on page one. Best wishes DAVID

Edited by Shipyard sid

Hello Robert

Merry Xmas to you and all your family. OK show us your new toy. Have a look at OC log, Old collingwood who is building The Warspite. You can join he's dam camera club. I have had words with him. Yep see he's log last two pages !!!!!!!. I think he's log is on page one. Best wishes DAVID

I think Old Collingwood has a beast of a Camera :o  my present is a little snappy one, exactly what I asked Santa to bring me :D  :D

Hello Robert

Excellent work, and in such a short period of time. The way this going you will soon be into what was my favourite part of the build, the masts and rigging. Well done. DAVID... oops!!! One of your canons is shooting the sea !!

Well spotted David ;) It's not broken, the cannons are loose on their spindles, so all's good :)

Well this turned out to be an absolute mess, they just don't fit, even when filing down the windows they seem to protrude and they should have depth.

I'll have to start this all over again with a different approach, looks like the only way i'm going to get some sort of depth is cutting out the window openings carefully just so they fit with some depth, risky I know :o

post-17761-0-31916000-1483281642_thumb.jpg