Is there a better #11 blade handle

I should have added that MS also sells the Excel handles, other blades, and accessories as well. Just type Excel in the search-bar.

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

When I find Excell blades I usually get them as they seem to hold an edge longer.  I by both in bulk when I can. For delicate work I prefer a scalpel for agrees I've work a number 11 blade.

David B

My review of surgical blades - so far.

I ordered two different styles of scalpel handles and four different styles of scalpel blades to test as compared to Exacto blades. The scalpel blades I ordered were #10, 11, 22, and 25. The #10 & 11 scalpel blades are similar in style to the #10 and 11 Exacto blades and they fit the #3 scalpel handle. The #22 scalpel blade is similar to the #22 Exacto blade and fits a #4 scalpel handle. The #25 scalpel blade is the closest thing I could find to a #2 Exacto blade. It too fits the #4 scalpel handle.

So, in all cases the scalpel blades are slightly more flexible than their Exacto counterparts. Sometimes I find that I like that and other times I prefer the stiffer blade. For me personally, I have small hands and I find that the scalpel handles feel better in my hand than the Exacto handles (regardless of which Exacto handle it is. The scalpel blades are very sharp and inexpensive. And finally, the blades don't slip - period.

Often, if I find myself needing anything more rigid than the scalpel blade, I end up using a gouge or a chisel. However, having said that, I'll also say that I don't think I'll be abandoning my Exacto knives completely in favor of scalpels. I think I'll be using the scalpels at every opportunity simply because the blades are cheap and I can change them frequently without breaking the bank. But, I also know that there will be times that a very sharp, very rigid blade is called for and the scalpel blades just won't cut it (pun intended).

So there you have it. My own impartial review of Exactos versus scalpels.

Edited by Captain Silver Beard Jones

Clark Fletcher

Current Build: USS Constitution - Model Shipways - 1812 Era Specs

Clark,   Thanks for the review.  The more information and opinion the better.  Of course, I now have to re-consider how to go.  Maybe for the costs involved it's best to be fully equipped, as I frequently tell the Admiral about all sorts of things.

I received my scalpel and blades.  At first I was unsure about using them.  They are very thin, almost delicate, and I didn't feel comfortable with using them in normal model cutting.  Then I needed to cut out a couple of 1/8"x1/4" pieces from a 1/32" sheet.  While my excel blades had a tendency to create splits, even with great care, the scalpel performed the task with ease.

So for very thin, very fine cuts, the scalpel is becoming my go to tool.  I will continue to test it with other uses but the excel blades worked well for me so I have no sense of urgency about other, larger cutting tasks.

Richard 

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

• 4 weeks later...

Several years ago I switch over to using a scalpel for all my precision cutting. My Xacto's still have a place  in my work as ruff cutters and a #11blade held up side down to scribe a line for cutting, especially for wood as well as plastic. For that propose they are superb. For me I prefer a #3 and #5 Swann-Morton scalpel handles in metal with just three blade sizes for all my work A #10, #15, and #25a. With the #25a as the work horse of the lot. I still use an #1 Xacto handle for the scribe, mini saw blades, and custom made chisels from flat tip Xacto blades that I grind down on a grinder and sharpen with  Japanese water stones. I cover the tips of the scalpel  blades with a piece of bottle cork from wine bottles. I think a lot of what scalpel handle or any handle you use will be determined by the size of your hand more so then anything else. I have small hands so the #3 and #5 Swann-Morton's fit like a glove. Maybe a #6 or #7 Bard-Parker for larger hands. One thing to look for is that any handle scalpel or other wise feel like a natural extension of your arm and hand. You should not even notice that it is in your hand while working with one. Even as a medic back in 69-71 I never got cut while changing a scalpel blade. If you lift up on the back end of the blades tang and gently push forward the blades will usual disengage. For the rare troublesome ones I used the back of my Zippo lighter to push them out. Another trick is to wrap a piece of masking tape around the blade before you start to remove it. Wrap them in a piece of masking tape and dispose in the trash or place them in an old coffee can (plastic) and take them to the recycler when can is full. I keep mine stropped as I work on a Arkansa stone or a Japanese slurry stone. I prefer the water stones but the oil stones work just as well. It becomes a mater of which one you become comfortable with. It does not mater rather your working in boats, planes, or trains the mediums are very similar wood, plastic, and metal. The scalpel blades cut sharper and stay sharper longer, two the three times longer then the Xacto's. For me well worth the investment.

Now as to getting them. Become very good friends with your dentist and have him get them for you. If you go to a school check if they have a dental department. If you tell them what your up too they will more than likely gladly help you out and at a substantial discount. And last resort is the dential supply houses. Other responders on this list have clearly covered that. If I only had to have five tools the scalpel with blades would be one with a scale rule, a small square, Mimi Japanese pull saw, and Zess optics. Along with color correct lighting to clearly see what I am doing. 

Edited by Leonard Davis

• 1 month later...

About 60 years ago I purchased a #4 scalpel handle and a gross of #22 blades. I have already used up 60 blades. :) The handle requires a few moments of time to unscrew a screw, remove the dull blade and insert a new blade and re-insert the holding screw. :( However this holding arraignment results in less flexing then with the newer scalpel handles with the snap on and off arrangement for holding the blade. The only use I now have for a # 11 exacto blade is to cut deck planks from wood veneers with no curvature. If they are to be curved the scalpel does the superior Non-splitting job. :P

• 1 year later...

I started this topic two years ago.   After two years of reflection and use I too have become a convert to the use of scalpel blades and handles.   I reach for them first.  They offer finer cutting, shaping and shaving.  My xacto #11's have been relegated to heavy duty rough cutting work. 

Phil Roach

Former Director, Nautical Research Guild

Member Shipmodeler's Guild Southwest Florida

• 5 years later...

this may be late, but I found the "American Line" handle far better than the X-acto handle. That is a company name. You tighten the blade holder from the bottom, it has a hex nut shape at the bottom so it will not roll off and stab you in the leg. It also is rubber coated, and I work my handles hard and the rubber has not come off on me. Blades stay secure, and easy to remove when dull. 

I have been using all different brands for over 50 years. This is my new go to Handle.

21 hours ago, Starkiller said:

American Line" handle far better

Hi Starkiller

Do they make a flat sided handle?   All I could find for their handles are round ones.   Round tool with razor sharp blade = roll, fall, stab, bleed and stitches.   That was the main reason I got rid of Xacto handles for anything other than hole saw blades which tend not to stick in your leg when it rolls off the bench. 

Allan 

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Excel makes a handle with flat sides: https://excelblades.com/products/fitgrip-knife

I've used mine for years, along with Excel blades (better steel than Exacto).

Another option is to tape a matchstick to your round handles to keep them from rolling into your leg.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild