Blackening brass problem

I've run into a problem blackening some brass parts.  I've done it hundreds of times before without a problem.  Sand or file the pieces, pickle in vinegar for an hour and rinse.  Soak in Acetone for an hour and rinse.  Put in 1:5 dilute Blacken-It for an hour.  There is a reaction, but the result is a pinkish color, not black.  Does Blacken-It go bad?  Mine's 5 year's old.  I understand it's not sold any more.  I used Apple Cider vinegar the first time and thought it might be that, but a repeat of the process with white vinegar produced the same result.  Any thoughts?

Maury

I have heard that this can be used, "Birchwood Casey Brass Black"  look on amazon or at gunsmith supply places

Holding at Rigging stage :

MS Bluenose 1:64, rigging and finish work

Building Hull :

MS Fair American 1:48

In the yard:  18th Century Longboat, Model Shipways Kit

Done: AL Bounty Jolly Boat

I have heard that this can be used, "Birchwood Casey Brass Black"  look on amazon or at gunsmith supply places

That's what I use. You only need to soak the piece for a minute or two depending on how "black" you want it.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Thanks all!

Maury

Maury,

Sorry, I posted on your build log before I saw this thread. I started using the Birchwood Casey brass black on Danny's advice after a lot of unsuccessful attempts with Blacken-it. I haven't had a problem since, including soldered pieces.

I too am a proponent of Birchwood Casey Brass Black.  Pickling in vinegar for an hour is OK I guess.  I use warm Sparex for that for 10 minutes or so and then a rinse in water.  If you do a rinse in acetone you only need to do so for a few seconds - longer isn't doing anything except wasting time.  Dip the clean brass part in the Brass Black for just a few seconds using tweezers - keep the part moving gently while immersed and then lift out with the tweezers, and let the solution drip back into the container.  Dip again and let it drip while watching for the degree of black you want.  Don't soak for extended times it will build up a crust that will flake off.  Rinse well in water and let dry - don't handle the part.  If it's not dark enough repeat the process in the Brass Black - no need to reclean or soak in etch if you don't handle with your bare fingers. 

I don't dilute the Brass Black (always did so with Blacken It but I will not use it for brass again) and can't advise one way or the other on doing so but even diluted I would not leave the part in it for any length of time.  Hold the part with tweezers and agitate the solution by moving the part gently in the solution and you will get good blackening.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Another fan of birchwood casey brass black. It is available on eBay by the way. I have had a couple of failures with it but I suspect that the brass content was not high enough to get a good chemical reaction going in those cases. If blackening is unsuccessful, might I suggest using admiralty acrylic paint - matt (metal) black. I have had excellent results with this paint. It looks just as good as genuine blackening. .

Edited by hornet

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

I've ordered the Brass Black.  Kurt, thanks for the instructions for use!

Maury

Maury, I typically dilute the Birchwood Casey 1:10.  I have never tried it full strength.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

I use the blackened because you can get different 'shades' according to how long or how many times you soak it. It is also quicker than painting which is an issue if you have a heap of cannons to do. You also don't have to wait for it to dry.

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

I use the blackened because you can get different 'shades' according to how long or how many times you soak it. It is also quicker than painting which is an issue if you have a heap of cannons to do. You also don't have to wait for it to dry.

To demonstrate hornet's post above, you can't get this kind of effect with paint (unless you're a VERY good painter) :

Hardware 001.jpg

Hardware 002.jpg

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Danny

How long at a time do you soak it in Blacken It before letting it drain

Geoff, I use Birchwood Casey Brass Black - not Blacken-it. The B/C only needs about 30 to 45 seconds to do the job.

Cheers, Danny