Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack by hexnut - Midwest Products - 1:24 - 1st wooden ship build

Thank you, Cap'n!  So, more like this?

attachicon.gifdeep centerboard.jpg

That would certainly make more sense for the handle length. If you would indulge me in more stupid questions:

Does the angled cut in the keel bear the weight of the centerboard in the down position, or is the handle/haul/up assembly actually under tension?  Thanks!

Now you have the idea, the board goes all the way down.

The centerboard boats sailed/worked in shallow water and the centerboard needed to be free to be pushed up into the centerboard trunk in case of grounding. Most were weighted though I have seen designs of some that were not.  If the board is locked down in any way then grounding could damage it.

Bob

Edited by Cap'n'Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Bob answered the question that I was going to comment on. I just checked in for the first time, what a great job you are doing Bob, I love the 3d drawings, your "rough sketch" is pretty nice too.  Having only just gotten a rough hang of 2d spline curves I somehow don't think 3d cad is in the cards for me. i will be following along with your build.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thank you guys, for the support and the help.  The more I try to detail this thing, the more obvious it is how little I know.

Michael, if I had 1/10 the skill that you have with wood and metal, I wouldn't need 3-d cad.  :)

• 4 weeks later...

WOW!  Simply WOW!  This is just fabulous!  

Current Build

- Glad Tidings -MS  

Completed Builds

- Dragon - Corel - One design International Class Yacht

- Sloup Coquillier / Shell Fish Sloop - Corel - Based on 'Bergere de Domremy / Shepherdess from Domremy

- Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack - Scratch build based on drawings from Chapelle's book "American Small Sailing Craft" 

On the Shelf

- Gretel-Mamoli     - Emma C. Berry-MS    - Chesapeake Bay Pilot Boat, Semi-scratch 

Find yourself hoping you never reach your destination

What nice curves she has. Please show us some more pictures from different angles.

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

I agree, more pictures.

You've taken this build so far from its roots its hard to fathom. Magnificently done hexnut.

I too find that the more I learn the more I realize my ignorance, but that's why our brains are designed to acquire new information I guess. Its also why I like this hobby so much. Thanks for the inspiration you pass along by sharing your vision.

Michael, if I had 1/10 the skill that you have with wood and metal, I wouldn't need 3-d cad.  :)

Bob, it looks to me like you've got plenty of talent and no need to be humble. Looking back at your initial entry in this log wherein you were hesitant to post and awed by some of the talent here, I hope some of your fears have been allayed and that not only is this a friendly, helpful bunch, but you have quite a bit to add as well. Stick your chest out and keep taking pictures!

Tom

Thanks guys, much appreciated.  Tom, I keep generating lots of reasons to be humble, but at least the glue blobs will be planked and painted over. :)    Are you bringing the Vinal Haven to New London?  I'd love to see it in person! 

As per request, here are some more pics:

post-964-0-50401400-1398292912_thumb.jpg

post-964-0-75273800-1398292943_thumb.jpg

post-964-0-19195900-1398292977_thumb.jpg

post-964-0-35876300-1398293003_thumb.jpg

I also started making the keel and centerboard. The tapering keel is an interesting feature that I wanted to replicate, cutting the centerboard slot should have been very straightforward, but it took me 3 tries...

post-964-0-31032400-1398293136_thumb.jpg

post-964-0-79011800-1398293159_thumb.jpg

Finally, here is the hull with the cockpit rough- cut out.  I made the rear portion with the frames all the way across the top of the deck. This made it easier to register the top to a center-line, made it more twist-resistant during construction and allowed easier fairing of the compound curves in the deck surface.

Besides, it was fun hacking through it once I had it glued together. :)

post-964-0-75044900-1398293488_thumb.jpg

That looks Sweet. Great job Bob, amazing detail

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Bob, it looks to me like you've got plenty of talent and no need to be humble.

Hear Hear!

The model is looking very nice Bob, those line show up very well, planking ought to just flow like butter.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Good job. Most people would not have tapered the keel because of the difficulty and few would notice it when done.

David B

Thanks for the extra pictures.  She's a fine looking boat.

Bob

Bob,

Looks fantastic!  I agree with Michael, the blanking will go smoothly!

Dee Dee

Current Build

- Glad Tidings -MS  

Completed Builds

- Sloup Coquillier / Shell Fish Sloop - Corel - Based on 'Bergere de Domremy / Shepherdess from Domremy

- Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack - Scratch build based on drawings from Chapelle's book "American Small Sailing Craft" 

On the Shelf

- Gretel-Mamoli     - Emma C. Berry-MS    - Chesapeake Bay Pilot Boat, Semi-scratch 

Thank you all for the comments, I really appreciate it.  I have to admit, I'm  trying to make planking easier, I've never tried it before, so it will definitely be a learning experience.  I have gone through Chuck's excellent tutorial as well as others and down-loaded the fan lines pdf. 

I also want to finish filling in the bow just aft of the cutwater, I kept it open while putting together the frames so that I would have a straight and square surface to grab, I no longer need it now that the structure is done.

I do want to add some of the interior stuff like the centerboard, wells and cabin details before starting planking, however, so that will probably be a while...

In the meantime, I got the keel and cutwater pieced together (8 pcs. total), loosely based on Chappelle's  Friendship scantling drawing.

post-964-0-80706100-1398804794_thumb.jpg

The work in progress also made it to the Northeast joint clubs show in New London, Joe/WackoWolf snapped a great picture of it, page 3 of the thread. (Joe takes much better pictures than I do.) Thanks, Joe!

Edited by hexnut

Thanks guys, much appreciated.  Tom, I keep generating lots of reasons to be humble, but at least the glue blobs will be planked and painted over. :)    Are you bringing the Vinal Haven to New London?  I'd love to see it in person! 

As per request, here are some more pics:

attachicon.gif100_0737.JPG

attachicon.gif100_0740.JPG

attachicon.gif100_0741.JPG

attachicon.gif100_0742.JPG

I also started making the keel and centerboard. The tapering keel is an interesting feature that I wanted to replicate, cutting the centerboard slot should have been very straightforward, but it took me 3 tries...

attachicon.gif100_0747.JPG

attachicon.gif100_0745.JPG

Finally, here is the hull with the cockpit rough- cut out.  I made the rear portion with the frames all the way across the top of the deck. This made it easier to register the top to a center-line, made it more twist-resistant during construction and allowed easier fairing of the compound curves in the deck surface.

Besides, it was fun hacking through it once I had it glued together. :)

attachicon.gif100_0749.JPG

Lovely lobster smack Bob,

I love your Framework on it, and very well done indeed

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Looks Good Bob, Keep it up

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Bob,

Chuck's tutorial for fan planking is fantastic, you will get excellent results.  Have you decided what wood you will use for the hull planking?  The keel and cutwater are fantastic and looking forward to seeing your interior detail. 

WOW!  Love it!

Dee Dee 

Current Build

- Glad Tidings -MS  

Completed Builds

On the Shelf

Thank you very much for all of the comments.

Nils, The amazing work that you've shown has been a great source of inspiration to me. Thanks!

Nigel,  thanks, I've been making stuff for some time, this is just the first time I've tried building small boats out of wood.  As a matter of fact, I really haven't done much with wood since I've been a kid, still working out how to clamp things properly and not just hose down bits of wood with CA and accelerator... :)

Maybe someday I will approach what you can do with the stuff...

Dee_Dee and Pete, Thanks for the encouragement.  You guys will probably build another 4 each of these boats by the time I get my centerboard mounted, never mind finishing the model...but I'll keep plugging away.

David B, thanks! With all that you've been going through, to not only keep building ships without your usual tools and materials, but also to encourage the rest of us--talk about leading by example!

Matti,  As a fellow Sci-Fi enthusiast, it is really inspiring to see what your painting, detailing, research and fabrication skill set can bring to an historical model.  Thanks!

I have to a bit more cad work for the next bit, but hopefully I'll have more progress later this week.  Thanks again!

• 2 years later...

Incredible stuff here! Your CAD work, your sketches and your woodworking skills are impressive. I hope you don't mind me filling your inbox with likes. I have been meaning to go back and read your whole build and finally got the chance. Only wish I had followed along sooner. I hope we see a continuation soon, I will be following.

Glenn

My Gallery

9 inch Dahlgren on Marsilly Carriage<p><p>

Heroine Shipwreck Diorama

• 1 year later...

Hey Bob,

Any updates to this build?   I just found, and am very interested in what you are doing.   I am starting on the big 1/8 scale Bluejacket kit, and your build of the little one is giving me some great ideas!

-Bill

In progress:  

BlueJacket Lobster Smack 1/8 scale (RC)

1/96 Revenue Cutter Harriet Lane RC scratchbuild

completed:  

1/144 scale USS Guadalcanal CVE-60 RC scratchbuild

Revell 1/305 USCG 327’ Secretary class cutter

Dumas 1/16 scale USCG Motor Lifeboat 36500 (RC)

Lindberg 1/95 USCG Lightship LV-112 “Nantucket” RC conversion

I was randomly surfing here and found you by chance. Remembered I built a Midwest kit, the Chesapeake Bay flattie long ago. Your lobster build  is much more demanding. Very interesting.

Love the way the model is raised up on keel blocks on first page. Looks really good. What type of wood is the base? Cannot wait for the finished setup.

Edited by andante
Lost beginning of text.

Sadly, Midwest seems to have gone out of the kit business. I have built most of their offerings and enjoyed them immensely. Usually built as a "relaxing" build, especially when I develop builders block on a larger project. 

I haven't seen any of their kits for sale anymore from model/hobby stores, either online or brick and mortar.

EJ

• The title was changed to Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack by hexnut - Midwest Products - 1:24 - 1st wooden ship build