USS Ranger by mattsayers148 - FINISHED - Corel SM55 - 1:64 - 4th build, 2nd build log

Thank you to everyone for the likes and input in this pirate affair.

I agree with you George. The one in there has 3 strand which is way too big. it looks like the real bolt is an inch or so round, meaning a 1/64 or .0156, I hope I can find one that small.

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Dunno if this helps, but I remembered seeing it in my copy of AOS Constitution by Karl Heinz Marquardt ...

post-675-0-93507600-1426633830_thumb.jpg

Also, have you had a chance to check out these carronades in Dafi's HMS Victory build ??

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Thanks CaptainSteve, and wow those carronades on Dafi's HMS Victory are awesome!

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

The orders came in to plank the port side. Once that was done the inside was painted black and then cedar was added between the frames.

post-17116-0-91356700-1426944775_thumb.jpgpost-17116-0-55989200-1426944725_thumb.jpg

Since the Nutz brothers wanted to maximize firepower, it was decided to increase the deck size. The stern was extended 8ft and the port and starboard deck were widened a foot on each side. The curve was continued past the bow and will be combined with the bowsprit, in time.

post-17116-0-01274900-1426944832_thumb.jpgpost-17116-0-79521400-1426944869_thumb.jpg

Now I'd like to raise the boom on the mizzen mast but am not sure if this modification has a bad side or not, any thoughts? If I do raise the boom, how much can I get away with? I ask these questions to all because the Nutz brothers are doing a final duel to see who will be the captain of this ship!

post-17116-0-57747300-1426947556.jpg

Looks like they have their work cut out for them. Just a little premature to be fighting over who's going to be captain, before it's even built.  Sounds like nut abuse to me Matt. Tell them if they don't get back to work, you'll start doing drug/nut testing in the work-place.  :D

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Those two Nutz brothers are short-fused! And bad tempered. :angry:  Makes for good P-rates I guess. :rolleyes:

Careful over gunning that beauty, making it top heavy. Swivels for anti-personnel are probably OK. More carronades, while cool looking, may be pushing it. Put a couple midships, maybe make 'em pivot to either side? Ship's for taking booty, not blastin' boats out of the water, eh?

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I made a little progress today working on the bulwarks. Once they're done I can start the railing now that I know the size of cannons. In the end I extended the aft deck by 12ft.

post-17116-0-08601300-1427003821_thumb.jpg

post-17116-0-78597100-1427003882_thumb.jpg

Looks like you have some space amidships for those carronades. And your stern extension is looking good, too.

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Well CaptainSteve, while the two knuckleheads practice their MMA, I was able to sneak in and found this photo along with some scribbled drawings and chicken scratch! Apparently the extended aft deck is going to hold the carronade. That way there's a sweeping defense on the rear end in case another ship gains ground.

From what I can tell, the center rail is to house a long range offensive ordinance. It kinda looked like they want to put a couple of mortars somewhere towards the bow and many small swivel guns. I think they plan on using their speed to get up close enough to blast away with powerful, short range guns.

I've seen that someone has been directing the build though. While guards have kept the Beavers at bay, there are a number of squirrels making some progress with construction. I just don't know whose in charge! I've sent one lone scout to bring back concrete evidence of who's running this show!

post-17116-0-63483300-1427072887_thumb.jpg

George, either he's cheating or he's a time traveler!

Just in: photos have arrived from the Pirates Lair.

post-17116-0-30670700-1427082147_thumb.jpg

post-17116-0-22155400-1427082164_thumb.jpg

post-17116-0-72243700-1427082185_thumb.jpg

post-17116-0-06306900-1427082200_thumb.jpg

I think shootin's too good ...

George, do you have a spare planter stand ??

No, but I do have an old tree-stump!  :D

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

May I smite it with my Enfield .58 cal. Then apply cold steel for insurance purposes.

Ken

Now that Harry has proven that he is the toughest Nutz on land and sea, the squirrels cried out a loud "Oorah!"

He let the squirrels know, "The harder you work, the higher you'll rank!" Being smart as they are, they instantly knew the higher the rank the higher the pay...more rum!

post-17116-0-81036700-1427680059_thumb.jpgpost-17116-0-10302100-1427680079_thumb.jpg

So they joined together as one and worked their little fingers to the bone. They proudly sat back and admired their accomplishment. The planking and the primary sanding done, they decided to put on the first of many coats of natural stain.

Harry was quite pleased. So he tapped a fresh keg and smiled as the squirrels sang "Yo-ho-ho and a bottle of rum.."

post-17116-0-66691100-1427680100_thumb.jpgpost-17116-0-66116800-1427680119_thumb.jpg

Lookin' real good, O Squirrelly One.

But, err, what's up with the white plank running lengthwise beneath the cut-out panel ??

CaptainSteve

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

You'll have to find out if the little blighters are adding sweep ports, if they are adding a ram. Tough to back up once you ram another ship, if all you have are sails..

Ken

My thoughts are that this cutter would most likely use its ram on vessels it's own size or smaller. Ken, are you meaning like a cattle guard or snowplow?

Matt, yea, sort of like what was on a lot of American Civil War ships, on both sides. If you look at the bows of USS Choctaw or CSS Virginia, you'll see what I mean. The Rebs used them more than the Union, but most Brown Water Union ships had rams.

Rams prior to steam were kind of big, thinking way back to the Greeks & Romans. Although, the Mediterranean galleys had rams. I just don't know what their configuration was.

Ramming, to my mind, is a way to prevent the other ship from moving; but you then have to patch a hole to take it back to your "lair" and remove the cargo. Would a pirate strip a ship on the high seas and then sink the hulk? I don't know; guess I'm applying too much of my tactical training and over-thinking a fun project.

Ken

The crew have done a wonderful job on the planking and staining Matt. Buy them an extra ration of grog for me. Sweep ports are like gun ports, only for oars. Hence needing reverse. 

Cheers  :cheers:

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Thank you for the info Ken and George. I guess my thoughts went more to a gamer, in which what you can do is only based on reality but takes the liberty of including fiction. Remember, I can only follow the mighty Harrison Nutz.

• 3 weeks later...

An' 'ere I was wondering if five barrels would be enough ??

:cheers:

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Aye, I'm with Cap'n Steve on quantity. Those wee barracoes dinae hold much rum. Hae many laddies in ST1, eh? Mayhap you'll need to lay in more rum. :bird-vi:

The hull work is looking good, Matt. I can't wait to see what new developments turn up from the Nutz Brothers. :)  very fertile imaginations :rolleyes:

Ken

Now that Harry and Woodie have settled into their rolls, the work on the captured USRC has been running smooth.

The men had brought some concerns to Woodie(he's finally happy being the ships carpenter). They've been having trouble working with these 1ft wide and some 50ft long boards for the planking. So Woodie brought these concerns to Harry and discussed how this could be resolved.

They came up with a solution that was agreed upon. They salvaged some lumber that was left behind by the Beavers and commenced on adding a third layer of planking.

post-17116-0-99468300-1429187432_thumb.jpg

This third layer has advantages in several ways. Increased hull strength, the ease of working with 8 inch X 18.5 feet planks and the ability to repair planks in times of battle.

With this improvised method, the squirrels were able to work faster and make the ship stronger and more water tight.

post-17116-0-67332700-1429187399_thumb.jpgpost-17116-0-87638100-1429187419_thumb.jpg

Harry went back to his tent to work on ways to further modify the ship and Woodie with the men set forth to finish the hull. Lastly, Harry and Woodie have been trying to choose a name for their ship. The best way, they figured, was to allow the men to assist in naming it. The first suggestion by one of the men was 'Rum Runner'. Once all suggestions are collected, Harry and Woodie will sit down to make a decision on this issue.

Glad to see Woodie and Harry worked out their differences Matt. Can't have dissension in the ranks!   :D They got it together and did a wonderful job with the planking. 

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Arrr ...

Well since we can hardly name your ship, CaptSteve's Revenge ... what about CaptMorgan's Revenge ??

(I'm hoping that Captain Morgan's rum is a well-known brand States-side, as well as down here in the Antipodes) 

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Or Montezuma's Revenge?

I think the squirrels figure that the more of them there are, the less likely that one of them will be missed. Scoundrels! The ones that were there did a little spit shine on the hull today. Man there's a lot of colors from the same tree.

CaptainNutz informed them, as soon as the hull is sea worthy, a day of rest and rum will be in order. However, he assured them, if anyone goes AWOL, punishment will be swift and fatal!

post-17116-0-58637000-1429231217_thumb.jpg

Really nice contrasts in that hull, Matt !!

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)