Ages of Sail is slated to get a shipment (should be a good sized shipment) as soon as the kit is available. Latest word is sometime in June, but don't quote me on it. No prices given by Amati yet. Maybe in another week or two.

I'll make sure that an announcement is posted on MSW as soon as the kits are available for sale. If there is any interest, maybe I can talk the owner into taking pre-orders since release of the kit is imminent. Not sure there would be any advantage to that for anyone except getting the first kits shipped.

Clare

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

• 2 weeks later...

That looks like a really nice kit.  Really nice job Chris and Amati!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

The Amati Revenge is now online at Ages of Sail. The shipment of kits from Amati is officially in transit now and expected to arrive around the end of next week. In the meantime, Ages of Sail is accepting pre-orders at reduced pricing. Officially, it's pre-order pricing, but it should be good while the supply holds out. And there are a LOT of kits on their way.

This is very exciting. I really don't need another project right now, but this looks SO good...

There's an official posting by Ages of Sail on MSW here: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/8245-hello-from-ages-of-sail/?p=320105

Clare

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

Hi Jaxboat and all, the ship is on the horizon!

I have it under good authority that the kits have arrived in the U.S. and are with the customs agent now, so they will be in the store in the next few days. They're just waiting on one pallet to arrive before delivering to the store, and the customs agent is just across the bay so shipment time from there is not significant. Won't be long now...

Clare

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

I am happy to announce that the Amati Revenge is no longer on the horizon. It's HERE! At Ages of Sail, the first kits shipped out to customers today. 

I had a chance to look at one of the kits and the first words that come to mind is: BIG! This is a really heavy kit in a large box. I would say that in terms of size of the kit packaging, it's on par more with Amati's Vanguard kit. 

This is an incredible looking kit... 19 sheets of plans. Instructions are in perfect bound softcover book format, 96 pages, full color. Lots of photos. Multiple sheets of photo-etched brass (they're in a sealed bag, so I didn't get a count, but it seems to me to be more than 7 sheets. No dummy cannons because it pretty much has a full-length gun deck. There's even a ladder up to a raised steering platform, and the whip staff is linked to the tiller.

I was looking forward to seeing this kit's release, but it's not a subject that I was super interested in. I've completely changed my mind. This is such an Awesome looking kit – I want one! This is the danger of having such easy access to ship model kits...

If you pre-ordered this kit at a discount, I have to say, I think it's a REALLY GOOD DEAL. Even at the full list price that Ages of Sail is listing it for, it's a GOOD DEAL. And I'm not just saying that because I'm doing some work for Ages of Sail. I'm not sure why this kit isn't priced higher than the Pegasus. I think someone screwed up and I suspect there's going to be some kind of a price adjustment in the future. 

Now, I can't speak to how well this kit goes together, so these comments are just about looking through the kit.

Everyone who bought or is planning on buying this kit, all I can say is "congratulations" I'm extremely envious.

Chris and Amati Model, you have outdone yourselves!

Clare

Edited by catopower

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

That sounds superb! Start your build log now and show us some unboxing photos! 

Can't say i'm very interested in the subject, but this bodes well for future releases. I'm waiting for the Victory.

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

• 3 weeks later...

That sounds superb! Start your build log now and show us some unboxing photos! 

Can't say i'm very interested in the subject, but this bodes well for future releases. I'm waiting for the Victory.

My sentiments exactly....the sooner the better for Victory,... while I still have all my faculties ---

JP

Built & De-Commissioned: HMS Endeavour (Corel), HMS Unicorn (Corel),

Abandoned: HMS Bounty (AL)

Completed : Wappen Von Hamburg (Corel), Le Renommee (Euromodel)... on hold

Current WIP: Berlin by Corel

On Shelf:  HMS Bounty (Billings),

• 2 months later...

Hello coopervictory.

I have not heard anything about the Victory NOT being released. As far as I know, the project is still going.  :cheers:

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

• 2 months later...

Everyone: Its been over a month and I was wondering if anyone has any new info on any new releases by Amati either than the Revenge model. I know they have a few new ones in development and I was wondering if they have materialized yet...

Any new info would be great!

Mike Draper

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Member, Nautical Research Guild

I thought there was talk of a 1:64 Bellona as well - there are some tantalizing shots at the beginning of this thread....

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

If I understand correct, Chris is re-designig Bellona. 

Bellona will be released one day, I have no doubt. What I am saying it that it needs a re-design to make the hull assembly easier to assemble, and it needs to be stronger. As it is now, I have no doubt experienced model makers would have no trouble, but for the rest, it would be a nightmare for them (I can only imagine how many emails a day I would get forwarded by Amati from customers asking for help)! I just need to design out the fragility, and once that's done, it should be fine as the rest of the parts are fine.

Bellona is my "dream" ship, which I would like to build in bigger scale than Corel 1:100 and I hope that it will be released some day . 

Simon

Current build:

Royal Yacht, Duchess of Kingston by Vanguard Models

Mercury by Victory Models - scale 1:64 - (99% scratchbuild) - on hold

Finished: Bluenose by Amati - scale 1:100

I have the Corel kit on the shelf and am excited to get to it at some point in the near future, but a 1:64 scale version would be amazing - especially given what I've heard of the quality of Chris Watton's other Amati kits....

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

I am also waiting for the Bellona kit as well. I know the last time Chris had corresponded on this newsgroup he had other models in line for release before the Bellona but I do hope it gets released sooner than later. the combination of the level of detail and scale of the model made it a perfect kit of the Bellona and leaves it open for any potential detailing as well,

Mike Draper

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Member, Nautical Research Guild

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the update Yancovitch.......

It's quite here because we are waiting for news from Chris or Amati.

We don't want to rush them with the things they are doing.

And of course we are model builders so we have a lot of patience......( I think )

Sjors

Edited by Sjors

• 2 weeks later...

Gentlemen,

I just did some pruning of this topic. This thread was started specifically to discuss projects in the works at Amati. I don't know why Chris hasn't posted in a while, but I'm sure he has his reasons. In the meantime, the thread was drifting off-topic and threatening to become a full-blown topic hijack. Discussions of particular kits already in production should go in the wooden kits forum. Build pics should go in a build log. Chit-chat should go in the Shore Leave forum.

Thank you!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

• 5 months later...

It seems odd, it's been three years in the making you would think Amati would want to start getting some of it's investment back one of these days

It's always fun to speculate on what's happening in new products with the foremost high-end European model ship kit manufacturer: here's mine.

I believe the ideal timing for Amati to release their 1:64 Victory will be next spring, possibly even later in 2017. It's likely that the content is more or less "ready-to-go" (including the shipping boxes and printing). However, if it isn't, by next year all the laser and P/E work should be completed. AFterall, Chris' prototype was amazingly aggressive in the sheer number of components and additional high-end detail. The model's instruction book and (extensive) plans (likely around 24-28 large prints) are likely completed (assuming Chris finished these up late last year).

My reason for this opinion on (delayed introduction) timing? Exhibit #1: We all know that this kit is going to be mucho dinero.

My best guess for a retail price (at today's currency rates): $1,200-1,400. We also know that Europe is still in crises of various sorts and the euro is steadily dropping against the world's reserve currency. My sense is that the euro will be at parity with the USD right after our Fall election cycle in the U.S. - and when the U.K.'s Brexit specifics are made clearer. There are other extenuating political instabilities to consider but we'll put these on another burner for now.

In other words, like many things in the world we are witnessing, business survival is as much about politics and relevant repercussions as it is about pure business reasoning and careful management.

As a retired businessman, It would make a lot of sense to me for Amati to plug this product into their growing Victory Models line-up but not until the international market improves and develops. The Revenge kit has been a success and it was hurried to market - but, it is only a $400 Kit. I suspect the high-end market WILL ACCEPT a $1K (USD) kit; but - a $1,200- 1,400 one - I'm not so convinced. A 10-15% drop in the value of the euro would put the Vic at right about $1,000 USD. The Sweet Spot. If I were Mr. Amati, I'd hold out for this inevitability. Also, don't forget that for most of Amati's customers, one needs to add about 20% to any street price to cover VAT (which is another reason I think the US market is an important one for Amati).

Does any of this speculation make sense to anyone else on the forum? I'd love to hear facts, like an announcement of when a launch is planned. But when facts are scarce, customers are entitled to speculate! B)

Ron

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

For me, a model that costs >1500 Euro of this quality is not much. Not when you amortize it over the years it will take you to build it and the years of pleasure it will give you afterwards.

After Amati release this kit, I would like to see them offer a conversion kit so that we can build the earlier Victory - before the stern galleys were closed over.

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

• 2 weeks later...

Chris

I read on another site that you had a pdf of the correct rigging and masting for the Amati Prince kit (the 1974 version) .
would it be possible for me to get a copy??
I'm building the kit and would like to be as accurate as possible.
Thanks in advance
Tom Wintrow

Your PM is full so I thought I'd try here.