I have decided that I want to develop a super detail heavy frigate next - haven't done one since my first PoB design, Diana. (Have done Surprise, but that doesn't count, too small)

Any suggestions?

(would prefer one without solid front bulwarks - they just look nicer and more interesting...)

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

HMS Anson (1781)

in 1/64 scale opened up so we can see inside

Edited by Kevin

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Here is one: USS Independence. She was the first ship of the line for the US Navy launched in 1814. She was latter razeed. She was big and fast especially after she was cut down to a frigate. She also was around for a long time. She was burned for her fittings in 1915

Jaxboat ^_^

Chris,

I am more and more impressed by this kit! Thank you so much for making us salivate in anticipation!  :D

As for a frigate... hum... 1/64 scale and... well... I think any you pick will suit me, being a frigate! If you may design one outside Her Majesty's service, maybe Lafayette's Hermione (or is she too small)?

Padeen (Adeline)

"When there is a will, there is a way"

Completed build: Le Camaret - Constructo - static wood 1:35  (build log, gallery)

Current build (very limited modelling time at the moment...): HMS Fly - Amati/Victory Models - static wood 1:64 (build log)

Projected build: HMS Victory - Chris Watton's design - static wood 1:64 (when available..., no rush!)

This may not be a frigate, but what about HM Snow "Ontario"?

I've seen kits of brigs, cutters and ships, but never a proper snow...

I think the circumstances of her loss would be of equal interest to the British, Canadians and Americans.

Just thinking out loud ;)

Andy

Edited by realworkingsailor

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Thank you, guys. A snow! hmm. I am thinking of revisiting the Cruizer Class but at 48th scale at some point.

I think anything other than a USS Constitution won't sell that well (outside the US, that is :( ), and that subject is well covered - although I don't think there are any large scale versions...

The problem with HMS Anson is that it's a raze, and doesn't have the classic frigate lines - plus it has a poop...

I like the names of:

Apollo/Euryalus Class - 1798 (36 guns)

Boadicea Class - 1795 (38 guns)

Artois/Apollo Class - 1793 (38 guns)

Leda Class - 1794 ( 3 8guns)

Arethusa Class - 1778 (38 guns)

Something like that...

(I did once suggest the Indefatigable - but Sergio, my boss, couldn't even pronounce it.. lol) 

logo.jpg

Chris, before I saw your last post I was going to suggest the Leda class, interesting option to go with the traditional or modified stern in one kit.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Chris

How about the 46 gun HMS Unicorn (launched 1824)? The ship is currently berthed in Dundee and so research should be easy, the only downside being that she was never fitted out with masts but information is available. I was thinking about scratch building at 1/48th but a kit would be a better option.

Dave

post-72-0-17577700-1371282535.jpg

Edited by Artificer

Currently building CC HMS Victory (6 years and counting)

Future Builds: Victory models 1/64th HMS Victory, Commerce De Marseille (Scratchbuild)and my Japanese Model Rail layout

Chris

As you mentioned the Leda Class frigates I have another suggestion. How about HMS Trincomalee, she is berthed in Hartlepool and has been fully restored so there must be plenty of information available.

Dave

Currently building CC HMS Victory (6 years and counting)

Future Builds: Victory models 1/64th HMS Victory, Commerce De Marseille (Scratchbuild)and my Japanese Model Rail layout

http://www.frigateunicorn.org/hms-unicorn

i had forgotten all about her

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

I vote for HMS Phoebe (1795).

post-456-0-22540100-1371296881_thumb.jpg

She seems to have had her bulwarks raised at some time and there is a model at NMM Chatham (http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/66546.html) showing her in this condition, but her original lines look elegant (http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/82450.html). There is also a framing drawing available (http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/82464.html - useful for the super-detailing?).

She has an interesting and eventful history, including being Nelson's signal ship at Trafalgar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Phoebe_(1795)).

Most importantly (for me) she has the same name as my daughter, so I have been toying with making a model of her for some while!

Rob

Chris

As you mentioned the Leda Class frigates I have another suggestion. How about HMS Trincomalee, she is berthed in Hartlepool and has been fully restored so there must be plenty of information available.

Dave

Dave - both Trincomalee and Unicorn are Leda class frigates, the latter having the modified stern which is not quite as attractive as the earlier Trincomalee.  I have a personal connection with Unicorn as we used to have our wardroom functions on her (can probably guess from my avatar!).  The other benefit of Unicorn is that she is arguably the most original of all the ships of sail simply because she never came out of ordinary so has never had any restoration work done on her.

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

So - either a Leda Class or Artois Class frigate - the earlier ones are prettier (from a aesthetic point of view) with the exposed forecastle timberheads instead of the plain looking planked bulwarks..

Anyway, I have now added all of the cannon and depth markings to Victory (which is starting to get very dusty again...

Vicwithcannon1_zps56c49051.jpg

..And I have just realised that I haven't made the carronades yet..

Vicwithcannon4_zps819fb203.jpg

I received my updated quarterdeck bulwark hammock cranes with the cannon barrels and boats. I re designed them after studying the pictures I had taken of the real thing, and realised they had brackets holding them into position on the insides of the bulwarks, like this:

Vicwithcannon3_zps0764608b.jpg

I haven't rigged any of the cannon at all for this model. This is because I can never get them to look quite right, and when taking close ups, all you see is the stringy bits. Plus of course, I'm crap at rigging them anyway.....

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg

Leda Class HMS Melampus  - well i have a start in respect i have the rigging book based on her http://www.militarymodelling.com/news/article/rigging-period-ship-models/8653

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Shannon sounds like a good bet - I just hope there are good plans available....

I hope so Chris, HMS Shannon would be fantastic, and I can't believe much modification would be needed to make others of the class either (bit like the Vanguard/Belerophon/Elephant kit), and surely would be more of  a commercial bet with Trincomalee having been restored as well.  Now, how quickly can I get one?  :D

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Hi Chris

Your Victory looks a truly wonderful ship.

However her size could somehow reach a ‘critical mass’ in the eyes of the admiralty when discussing where to berth the finished model.

Therefore a smaller model of a heavy frigate would probably fit better in many a household. Although Shannon is somehow similar to Diana there are still quite a few points in her favor besides those already mentioned: Not only has she British and American connections but also French – her lines seem based on those of the captured French frigate Hebe. http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=14775.0

And the fact that she was also mentioned in Patrick O’Brian’s books won’t really reduce her chances for a commercial success.

Perhaps a kit variant to build Hebe would also be possible (albeit I have no idea of their relative sizes).

I only hope that you find somebody to produce the kits for all your splendid models. There is still Bellona and didn’t you also build a Cutty Sark?

Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Peter

HMS Shannon

She has quite a bit of history behind her - i hope you go for it Chris

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Shannon_(1806)

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

I hope so Chris, HMS Shannon would be fantastic, and I can't believe much modification would be needed to make others of the class either (bit like the Vanguard/Belerophon/Elephant kit), and surely would be more of  a commercial bet with Trincomalee having been restored as well.  Now, how quickly can I get one?  :D

If I can find enough details for the class, especially Shannon, that is what I shall do - a Leda Class frigate. Hope there are good lines and profiles, deck layouts etc.

Hi Chris

Your Victory looks a truly wonderful ship.

However her size could somehow reach a ‘critical mass’ in the eyes of the admiralty when discussing where to berth the finished model.

Therefore a smaller model of a heavy frigate would probably fit better in many a household. Although Shannon is somehow similar to Diana there are still quite a few points in her favor besides those already mentioned: Not only has she British and American connections but also French – her lines seem based on those of the captured French frigate Hebe. http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=14775.0

And the fact that she was also mentioned in Patrick O’Brian’s books won’t really reduce her chances for a commercial success.

Perhaps a kit variant to build Hebe would also be possible (albeit I have no idea of their relative sizes).

I only hope that you find somebody to produce the kits for all your splendid models. There is still Bellona and didn’t you also build a Cutty Sark?

Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Peter

Thank you. Bellona will be released, as will the Cutty Sark, Revenge and Golden Hind. I work for Amati, so they produce them. Unfortunately, we also do a lot of part work (magazine) developments, and they have, at times, taken production priority - hence the delays and backlogs caused with some of my finished work. (in-between the standard kits, I have developed a Japanese sail training ship, the Black Pearl with half the hull open to show the innards of the ship, the ocean liner France and have had a hand in a Bismarck and a few others). It is very good news that I have been left alone for quite a while to develop the Victory without having to break off to do other stuff, which is usually the case.

As for the size of Victory, to be honest, I am thinking of making one for myself, but just having stump masts or flag staffs instead of the full masts and bowsprit - saves a lot of space and still looks quite impressive..

HMS Shannon

She has quite a bit of history behind her - i hope you go for it Chris

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Shannon_(1806)

Thank you, Kevin. :)

Ah ha:

http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/84700.html

Have emailed the NMM for a pro-forma for lines, profile and deck drawings...

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg

Hi Chris,

Just a question. One of the many things I liked about your shop website was a section on what was in devlopment at Amati. Did you do thta yourself or was it someting thtawas put out by Amati?

Jaxboat

That was my idea and I updated it. I guess I can just use this site to do the same - not to advertise kits, I'm not really into that at all, but just to show new and upcoming developments.

logo.jpg