US Brig Syren 1803 by STSCM - Model Shipways - Scale 1:64

Hi y'all, model is being shipped, even as we 'speak', and I've been pouring over the build logs on her.  Any additional hints/ideas I should be aware of?  Tis a lot to digest getting this thing going.  The only tools I have is the ME kit, need more but will wait when the snow up here stops.  Unreal how exciting this is to me.

Take a breath, go slow, have fun, and ask lot's of questions BEFORE you do anything about which you have questions. :)

Russ

Have fun and enjoy the ride. That's what it's all about. Syren is a beautiful and well designed model and a great kit!

Thomas

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

I think I've read every build log on this site, will repeat possibly tomorrow, ideas swirling about.  Will probably have the box this Monday, I hope.  Will drag Admiral and the young Lieutenant to Lowes to pick up badly needed supplies for this long voyage ahead of me.  Have to find a place to make a dry dock here also, we're still moving in, albeit slowly and need to do some survey work and submit the proper paperwork for permits, etc., with the admiral and her staff <sigh>.  Caterwauling and hair pulling will commence at 0800.

STSCM, good luck with the build. It's a Chuck Passaro kit, so parts and instructions should be excellent. And MSW is a great resource, too. As you've already seen.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Gads....Now I've looked at Dubz's build log, twice.  I'm ordering books on sailing ships, something that is good, and reading like crazy everything else I can get my hands on.  Read the 'instructions' from Chuck to chapter 4, almost have that memorized, then putting together that tome with what other's have done, putting all that together.  Tomorrow design the workbench.  Life continues apace.  Admiral taking this like the trooper she is, except for her hair dryer, that is sacrosanct.  ;)

My ship has come in... ;)  Is it de rigor  for pictures of the box?  Talking to carpenter friend for building a workbench upstairs in the attic, books inbound tomorrow for study purposes.  Heading for Lowes for glues and other things shortly.  Will be in business when Admiral starts on her book upstairs also, so will be a while.

Funny how I spent 23 years avoiding a brig and now I'm building one... :)

Edited by STSCM

OMG, I think MS sent something wrong...  Going through the box, saw a bag of funny shaped silver 'toothpicks' for very tiny people (smaller than Lilliputians), put on my glasses and they kinda resemble cannons.  It's like designed for a 1:1024 sized model.  To use a quote from a great movie, I think I need a bigger magnifying glass.  Bought a set of 3.0 glasses in town to see if that helps. ;)

Mine (Syren) arrived a few days ago! But, it's in dry dock for now. It will be another year (I think) before I'm done with the Charles Morgan. I got a good buy at Model Expo with no shipping, almost half off the kit and it was a special buy that came with the kit's paints. Although, they forgot to send the paints. Nothing a quick e-mail to Frank at Model Expo didn't clear up. They're already in the mail! I've got about half dozen ships in dry dock. I retire in three years or so and look forward to spending more time with the builds. I've got a long way to go but I can see my skill set has gotten better with each kit. I'll be watching your build. Have fun!  Ron 

Honestly, did not realize how small this guy is.  The clipper ship which is my ultimate target is almost 4' long, easy to see everything, this guy is tiny, to the uninitiated like moi.  But...am so looking forward to this.  Won't start her till I get the 'stuff' I need where I need it to get this going, temp dry-docking will not work on this guy.  I'll take some of the pics of her shortly, to demonstrate what I'm talking about.

Tom

• 2 years later...

Don't give up the ship. I'm back and finally have time (sorta) to start.  Admirals working on her dissertation stuff but the little Lt. is on my side so we're overriding a apparent desire for turning the home into a B&B and using a room for weights and dry dock.  A little more patience and I'll lay her keel. Now the 64 thousand dollar question.  There's a number of sites offering upgrades on the good ship Syren, how many should I do?  I can replace wood from waterline up, guns and carrodades, decking and hardware, the list is long.  After reading so many build logs I am tempted to avoid all the issues and inaccuracies that come from the raw kit and buy these. A more accurate build with less headaches is my view, what say ye?  

Upgrades are almost limitless on any kit, the decision will be yours. I have changed every kit I've done in some way, whether big or small you will have to decide how far you want to go down this dark path of "bashing":). I'll be watching for some updates