Strange things you have used in your models

Was reading the latest installment of the kit bashers guide and started wondering what the strangest things people have used in building their models.  I haven't used anything really exotic but a few things I have ended up using were wrapping paper, paper clips and buttons.  Would like to hear what others have ended up using.

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

Some time ago I built a model of a huges 500 helicopter using one of the '' leggs egg'' that my wife's nylons came in. Used some model gate for the skits and an old peice from a broken fishing rod for the tail strut. my nephew was small at the time and talked me out of it!!

Yes, I spent a bit of time wiping off blood from my pristine planking. I had a cut on my finger and did not even realize it until I saw all the blood!

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

I'm guessing you won't get too much weirder than the time I used Hair in a build ...

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

That was DEFINITELY weirder than my coconuts !!

:cheers:

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Don that Bounty Launch of yours is beautiful. The colour you stained your wood looks like pear. May I ask what stain you are using? A link would be pretty helpful as well. 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

I'm guessing you won't get too much weirder than the time I used Hair in a build ...

As a French ex POW said to his wife two hundred years ago, on his return to France from Britain in 1815 – in French of course! :)

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

Don that Bounty Launch of yours is beautiful. The colour you stained your wood looks like pear. May I ask what stain you are using? A link would be pretty helpful as well. 

Thank you Keith, I used Minwax Golden Oak #210B. The model shown is from Model Expo and the wood is basswood. I picked up a little can at my local hardware store. You can see the full line of Minwax products at http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/stains-color-guide/

I have build log at http://shipmodeling.net/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=1378

Hope that helps.

Current project: Retired

www.howefamily.com