Sovereign of The Seas by SawdustDave - FINISHED

Hi Dave this is RedDawg. Quite a few years ago when I was into plastic, before I got converted to wood, I was a member of IPMS. When I entered my builds in the competition during the closed door judging I won a couple of awards. But when one of the judges found out that I was a long haired bearded biker, he pulled my awards and told me I didn't really win. It was just a mistake in where the awards were placed. Two of them. When one of the other judges caught on to what was going on he corrected things. And then told me it was my being a biker that caused the problem. I told them that it was just a part of the lifestyle I chose, and did not bother me any. Just another day of life. Michael By the way I am building the Sovereign myself and you scratch builds have changed the way I am going to do my build. So thanks to you scratch builders my skill level is growing.

Edited by RedDawg

Nice work Dave; she looks like she has just come out of the riggers hands :)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Beautiful Dave !!!!

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Question for my friends....

Last year I enjoyed visiting this Spanish Gallion which was visiting in Wilmington, NC.
Noting the use of "sheer poles" at intervals on her shrouds.  (see photo)

Since I had never seen this before, I thought it unusual, but kept wondering, and tried to do some research on their use.  Cannot find a thing.

Having problems with the rat lines on the SOS.... keeping the shroud lines evenly spaced, especially the outside shrouds that want to creep in and not maintain a nice straight line from the dead eyes to the top.

So I am using sheer poles to keep the shrouds spread, with the intentions of removing them and replacing them with rope  rat lines once all the rat lines have been tied.

Thing is.... I kind of like the look!
So what if I decide to leave them on the SOS?

post-11777-0-52058200-1471889319.jpg

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Please remember that this is a recreation of a Spanish galley.  It is not meant to represent any single vessel.  Considering this ship is built of fiberglass with wood lamination, I would recommend independent validation of any details.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Hi Sawdust Dave,

Sheer poles were a 19th century innovation I believe and only one was fitted just above the lower shroud deadeyes. The tops on this ship are of a design which didn't appear until the beginning of the 18th century and I'm pretty sure Spanish galleons didn't have spritsail topmasts. I would take anything shown on this ship with a very large pinch of salt,it's a tourist attraction. Please do remove them when you've finished rattling down. Your excellent model would be spoiled by leaving them on.

Dave :dancetl6:

Tony and Dave....
Information like this is one of the reasons why I value my MSW friends so much.  Some of you who know me by now, understand that I seriously need guidance when it comes to these kind of technical issues.  

Thanks 

Sawdust Dave -

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Good question Vic.  I'm surprised I didn't address this way back when I created those little shingles.
Best pic I have found to explain is of the belfry top seen below....

post-11777-0-01948700-1472815216.jpg

Rather than cut each shingle individually, each row is cut and shaped as a single narrow strip of black vinyl, shaped with the individual tabs along the bottom edge.  The tips of each shingle is painted with gold metallic enamel prior to gluing in place, staggering the shaped edges to give the illusion of individual shingles. 

Hope this helps.

Sawdust Dave -

• 1 month later...

Storm Report....
Thanks for the inquires regarding the hurricane that struck our town.
Happy to report no damages to our home.
Severe flooding throughout many parts of Lumberton, NC, but our home is on high ground and completely safe from the flood waters.
Just got power restored this morning after four days without lights.  Had to throw away all frozen foods and perishable items from the frig.  
Still without water pressure, but that is a very small inconvenience considering.  Using neighbors swimming pool water for flushing our toilets.
Sad to report the tragic loss of an old friend....RIP.

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

SOS Progress....
Still tying in shrouds and rat lines.  Hope I can post a few pics within the next few days.

Clove hitch - clove hitch - clove hitch......

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Storm Report....

Thanks for the inquires regarding the hurricane that struck our town.

Happy to report no damages to our home.

Severe flooding throughout many parts of Lumberton, NC, but our home is on high ground and completely safe from the flood waters.

Just got power restored this morning after four days without lights.  Had to throw away all frozen foods and perishable items from the frig.  

Still without water pressure, but that is a very small inconvenience considering.  Using neighbors swimming pool water for flushing our toilets.

Sad to report the tragic loss of an old friend....RIP.

Dave

Hi Dave

Good to hear that you are well, but sorry to hear of the loss of your friend.

Take care.

Patrick

So sorry for your loss Dave. :(

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Glad to hear you weathered the storm, Dave.  For some reason I remembered that you lived in Lumberton and thought of you while watching the news. All the best.

Ed

Thanks Ed....

Update - Worst is over, except for water pressure. As of this morning, the official word was that it will be at least two weeks before the city water system will be repaired and back in service.

Meantime tractor trailer loads of bottled water keep coming in.... distribution centers are set up at several parking lots around town.

I am using my neighbors swimming pool water to flush our toilets.

Heating water in pots in order to bath, shave, wash hair, etc....

Could be much worse. Some of our friends have lost everything.

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

My deepest symphaty to all of you. Two years ago, Obrenovac, town 9km from my place was covered with 2m of wather and mud, so I can imagine this kind of hell. Water system in whole Belgrade was unstabile and unsafe, and there were long periods without water. Terrible. Be strong and safe!

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Hi Dave ... hope things are getting better  for all of you ... mother nature can be cruel   at times , sorry to hear you lost a good friend.

On the brighter side  your build is coming  along nicely... that shingle idea is great!!.... Hang in there Dave!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

GLAD TO HEAR YOU MADE OUT OK. My prayers are with you and your family.

Al

Al

Current Build

The President by Sergal

Completed Build

Cutty Sark 1:75

SIB Hannah

Opium Smuggler

SIB Pride of Baltimore II

On Deck

Pride of Baltimore II

I am glad you came out okay.  I remember getting flooded out years ago when I lived in DesMoines.  It was a mess.  At least your home came out okay.

David B

Dave,

My wife and I send prayers of recovery and healing. Even with your home safe, there is a wounding that comes with surviving. The lose of a friend and the injury to your community are your lose as well. Sometimes people think all is well for those who's homes still stand. But your community is your home. God bless you and yours.

Bill & Sateash Hime

Passion is Patience...and I am a carpenter in any scale.

Current build;  Endurance - 1:70 scale, Occre

Current build;    H.M.S. Surprise - 1796, 1:48 A L

So true Bill Hime.  Gonna take a long time for our community infrastructure to be repaired.  Some communities manage to come back better and stronger, while some never recover.  Not sure which way my community will go from here.

Thanks all again for your continued thoughts and prayers.

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

FINALLY!

A pic of the final ratline clove hitch!

FYI - That is clove hitch number 2,872!

I know, it's a little blurred, but I'm tired and ready for a cold beer celebration.

:cheers:

post-11777-0-06731100-1476661794_thumb.jpg

Sawdust Dave -

Enjoy  :cheers:

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

A well-deserved beer, too !!!

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy