Sovereign of The Seas by SawdustDave - FINISHED

Thanks for the suggestion Hubert:
Searches on the internet for belaying plans for the SOS have not been much help.  The pics you posted here, while they illustrate the configuration of the lines, they still do not address belaying points..... location of inboard pin rails, bits, etc.  
I'm pretty sure they must have used shroud cleats and possibly a few kevels.  
I do find a wide use of belaying pins in my drawings, located along the upper cap rails, but no indication of which lines are belayed to which pins.

My rough plan, at this point, is to take one spar at a time and come up with solutions based on personal experience.

Cheers

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Hi Dave

When I rigged my Sovereign, I need this book.

(THE RIGGING OF SHIPS: IN THE DAYS OF THE SPRITSAIL TOPMAST, 1600-1720) BY Anderson, R. C.(Author)Paperback Mar-1994

This book is very good and I have no problems with belaying plan. :)

Hubert

All spars now hanging from their halyards.....

post-11777-0-08225500-1479480874_thumb.jpg

post-11777-0-75522100-1479480904_thumb.jpg

Mixed emotions for me at finally achieving this major milestone.
As much as I am excited to be able to begin with her running rigging, I am admittedly intimidated by the aspect of going forward without a clear set of plans..... specifically, the belaying points.

I am plowing through all of Doris's final pics looking for any clues.  

We all know, she will eventually become fully rigged - one way or another.

Sawdust Dave -

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Just look at this miserable mess....

Dave there are lines and blocks on the drawing....what more do you want? ;)

Seriously they do look rather spare. Understanding the functions of the various lines and how they are used is invaluable for setting up the rigging on any ship or boat. The early ships of era that you are modeling must have been rigged in similar ways to the later rigs. is it possible to take the information from the more modern rigs and extrapolate backwards to the paintings and artwork of the ship?

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

So true Michael.  You have described exactly what I will be doing as I continue forward from here.  Sorry if my whining and moaning came across as being without hope.
Like I said earlier, I admit that I have long been spoiled by Chuck's clear and precise rigging instruction script.

Actually, I'm quite sure I'll figure this thing out.
Thanks as always.

Sawdust Dave -

Nice work on those spars, and I can empathise WRT to not having a decent belaying plan to work to.  i am sure you will get there as you are obviously researching this aspect quire vigorously.

cheers

pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

A book that would help you tremendously would be Rigging in the Age of the spritsail topmast by R.C. Anderson.  I found it a good reference for the time period you are working in.  It can be bought from Amazon in the Kindle edition at a good price.

David B

Edited by dgbot

Hi Dave,

Another source that will really help you with the running rigging is another volume by R.C. Anderson called "Seventeenth Century Rigging" from Model & Allied Publications Ltd. The book is long out of print but may be found on one of the used book sites. It as specific references to The Sovereign and illustration foldouts.

Hope that helps,

Bill

Mediocrity will never do. You are capable of something better.” ― Gordon B. Hinckley

Current build: Sovereign of the Seas 1637

My Book: Carving Ornamentation for Ship Models  

Don, Pat, David, Bill....... Thanks for your visit, and words of encouragement.
Bill, I found the R.C. Anderson book you recommended on Amazon.  It is on the way.  Thanks.

Cheers all

Sawdust Dave -

Thanks to my friend, and fellow SOS builder, Bill Short, I am trying to finish up the running rigging for the foremast spars.  

I ran into something of a complete mystery to me.  Going through R.C. Anderson's "Seventeenth Century Rigging", I cannot find a reference.  So, I'm hoping one of you shipwright's might have the answer to my questions below.

The following two pics are from the amazing build log posted by Doris in 2011.  Her gallery of photo's have been my primary source of information since discovering early on just how flawed my old plan sheets are.  So, here is the mystery.....

The small hole shown in the left pic below.....
Is there a name for it?  What is it's function?

I assume the big triple block directly above the hole is hanging from the cross trees and would be used to haul up something very heavy from below deck (that is my second question).

post-11777-0-43922500-1480193116_thumb.jpg

Sawdust Dave -

If it's what I think it is, it was not uncommon back then, Dave.  Another triple block would be below that hole.  The lanyards went up to the triple which was seized to the lift harness of the main yard.  Wasa has one for the main mast.  But given the size of this beast, it may have had more.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Mark.

Wow! Man, that's a heavy duty rig for sure. What in heck was such a massive rig used for through that small opening?

First time I recall running across this.

Sawdust Dave -

Hi Dave

Under the deck is a servant for the tackle for the haleyard for the under foreyard.

Look here, a picture from Doris. A great ship.

Hubert

post-550-0-00143800-1480227138_thumb.jpg

Edited by AVBiker

OK gang..... Sometimes you have to take a problem to the Master - Right?

So here's what Chuck tells us about that heavy tackle......
The lower block was belayed with a hook onto a heavy bit below deck.
"It was to raise and lower the yard on the foremast.  Its for the "tie" which is normally secured to a knight head on deck.  In this case below deck."

:10_1_10: 

Sawdust Dave -

Slight correction to the nomenclature:  The line shown is the Fore Yard Halyard. It runs between a triple sheave knight, in this case below deck, to the rams head block on the Tye.  The tye runs through the upper hole on the rams head block and both ends lead up to the cap where it passes through sheaves or blocks and is hitched to the Fore Yard.

Regards,

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

Running rigging now completed!  :dancetl6:
New pics of finished rigging........

Other than tying the last rat line clove hitch, I can't think of a more satisfying point of celebration in a build.

This has been the most challenging rigging I've ever done, mostly due to the lack of clear plan sheets.
Thanks again to Bill Short for providing a lot of daylight with the material he passed on to me.

post-11777-0-39476800-1481134826_thumb.jpg

post-11777-0-53484600-1481134854_thumb.jpg

post-11777-0-71714700-1481134861_thumb.jpg

post-11777-0-07121700-1481134881_thumb.jpg

post-11777-0-75487100-1481134890_thumb.jpg

post-11777-0-57646100-1481134904_thumb.jpg

post-11777-0-99147600-1481134919_thumb.jpg

post-11777-0-40110400-1481134928_thumb.jpg

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

She looks absolutely stunning, Dave.

Bravo, Sir ... Bravo !!

:dancetl6:  :dancetl6:  :dancetl6:

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Major milestone completed with the running rigging Dave, she is certainly looking great!

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Well done and well-deserved celebration is in order.  Beautiful, Dave.    :cheers:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks to each and all for dropping in..... many cherished old MSW mates.
Good night at the poker table. Back to work tomorrow.... two water pumps - a windlass - flags - Name Plate carving - and several little touch-ups in mind.
Still thinking about whether or not I will build a ship's launch.... what think ye?

Cheers

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

I'll be the lone, dissenting voice that says I wouldn't worry about a launch ... your ship is magnificent enough to stand alone as a display.

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Well done Dave, a model to be truly proud of.

Regards,

Bill

Mediocrity will never do. You are capable of something better.” ― Gordon B. Hinckley

Current build: Sovereign of the Seas 1637

My Book: Carving Ornamentation for Ship Models