Lanyards for rigging hearts

I feel like I've always rigged hearts incorrectly. Every rigging manual, photo, instructions etc... is unclear. Where does the lanyard begin and where does it terminate? Most photos and diagrams just show the lanyard reeving back and forth, but not the termination on each end. I've generally taken the excess on the free end up the stay like the tail of a deadeye lanyard, but none seem to show that. I usually attach the fixed end to the strop for the heart. 

Examples:

Historic Ship Models

post-11003-0-75364700-1425786119_thumb.jpg

Peterson's

post-11003-0-22420500-1425786121_thumb.jpg

Chuck's Syren instructions

post-11003-0-91458500-1425786121_thumb.jpg 

Edited by Joe V.

Joe Volz

Current build:

Model Shipways "Benjamin W. Latham"

Completed  builds on MSW:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

The laniard is started with an eye spliced through the heart.  In practice as each turn was hove taut it was nippered or seized to the previous turns and additional turns were taken until the laniard was expended with the end either made fast around the stay or the collar.  Another way to secure the end was to seize it to one of the turns.  

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

It's interesting to see that there is torsion between the hearts on actual examples and contemporary models; it's always bothered me that exactly the same thing happens with my rigging!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Thanks gents.

The last picture Chuck posted clearly shows the splice around the heart, but even in that on I can't see where the free end gets stopped. drawing seems to show it stopped to the previous turn with a whipping.

post-11003-0-05777300-1425820301.jpg

Edited by Joe V.

Joe Volz

Current build:

Model Shipways "Benjamin W. Latham"

Completed  builds on MSW:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"