Sloop Mediator by carlosgf - Scale 1:48, 1741, Howard I. Chapelle's version

Hi world!

I want to show you my current ship model project: the sloop Mediator.

I found the plans of this ship in Howard I. Chapelle book named 'The search for speed under sail, 1700-1855'. I thought it would be an interesting ship for a first scratch work.

In the National Museum of American History, Washington, DC, there is a ship model of the Mediator:

http://etc.usf.edu/clippix/picture/the-mediator.html

the-mediator_medium.jpg

And it is my ship model today:

DSC00043.thumb.JPG.521d036818e6be2e1f2cd2127f83bcb7.JPG

CONVMDSC_0002_013.JPG

CONVDSC_0001_057.JPG

CONV_0768DSC_0003.JPG.72bec4744252ad716dfbebf9fd8f2133.JPG

Please, let me to show slooooowly the building process step by step.

P.S: Apologizes to everyone for my awful English.

P.P.S: I put my drawings in this first post. I'll update if any change happens.

P.P.S: Add a direct link to all photographs I have about the Mediator buid:

https://picasaweb.google.com/113346618105593843079/6058494423241948545?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Mediator plans set.pdf

Edited by carlosgf

The plans.

The plans i've used for the sloop Mediator are in the book 'The search for speed under sail, 1700-1855' written by Chapelle. I've scanned these plans and I've resized to scale 1:48, I think this is an interesting scale that allows to work with some detail.

Chapelle's plans are two. The first of one is the hull drawings, waterlines, buttock lines, diagonals...

CONV_0688Mediator%2520volumetr%25C3%25AD

And the second one is the sail drawing.

CONV_0687Mediator%2520velamen.JPG

There is an original drawing taken in 1745.

I've started to work with Chapelle's drawings because i found these plans before.

http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/86159.html

large.jpg

Edited by carlosgf

My idea was to make a plank-on-bulkhead ship model. The bulkheads and false keel were designed with Autocad. The drawings of Chapelle needed a lot of correctios because the small size of the drawing in the book, distortions of the paper, etc...

I put the plans in the first post and I will to update them if any change occurs. Please, feel free to use them, if You are interested in this model.

Some points:

- The bulkhead and false keel are designed to have a thickness of 5 mm (5 millimeters).

- Under the tramson, there is a rounded stern. I'v seem models wirh plain (square) stern.

CONV_0675DSC_0006.JPG

CONV_0673DSC_0004.JPG

CONV_0676DSC_0007.JPG

CONV_0677DSC_0008.JPG

Bulkheads are glued to the false keel. This is made in two pieces because size considerations. Chocks (?) are glued between bulkeads to ensure the stiffness of the ship. The edges of the bulkheads are beveled order to facilitate the settlement of the strakes. These edges are drawn but the inner line is only valid if the thickness of the bulkheads is 5 mm (in other case, sand by eye).

CONV_0680DSC_0011.JPG

CONV_0683DSC_0014.JPG

CONV_0685DSC_0016.JPG

CONV_0689DSC_0001.JPG

Edited by carlosgf

The stem, keel and rudder post are part of an interesting set. Unlike the kits solutions, I've tried to simulate a 'real' approximation.

I have a very few information about America Colonial ships. My assumption is to made this pieces in an English (Great Britain) way. I've made a mix of Cutter Alert (Peter Goodwin), Granado (Peter Goodwing) and Swan Class Sloop (David Antscherl).

CONV_0694DSC_0006.JPG

CONV_0695DSC_0007.JPG

CONV_0696DSC_0008.JPG

CONV_0713DSC_0006.JPG

CONV_0700DSC_0012.JPG

CONV_0708DSC_0001_1.JPG

Edited by carlosgf

Carlos,

you`re doing very well with this Cesapeake Bay sloop

I love the lines of that upfront Picture of the planked hull in your post #1

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thanks for your coments!!!

The planking of the hull begins with the wale. The main wale (the lower wale) dominates the position of the planking. I put strakes alternatively up and down, joinning in the center.

In the forum you can find manuals of how to make the planking of the hull. I strongly recommend you to read these manuals, The final look is better than the suggestions of some kits... and the time spent in this process is the same (more or less).

There is a reduction of distances fore an aft. The strakes should be reducted in the joining with the stem and stern. There are several methods (i've used both):

- to reduce the width of the strakes

- to make that a strake ends into another one or in the junction of two strakes.

CONV_0707DSC_0001.JPG

CONV_0710DSC_0003.JPG

CONV_0729DSC_0004.JPG

CONV_0741DSC_0009.JPG

CONV_0736DSC_0002.JPG

CONV_0743DSC_0001.JPG

CONV_0746DSC_0004.JPG

CONV_0747DSC_0005.JPG

CONV_0750DSC_0008.JPG

CONV_0751DSC_0009.JPG

CONV_0752DSC_0010.JPG

CONV_0755DSC_0013.JPG

CONV_0756DSC_0014.JPG

CONV_0768DSC_0003.JPG

Edited by carlosgf

You have a good start on the Mediator.  I'm pulling up a chair to watch.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

A question: what made you go with a rounded stern rather than a square tuck? most the other models I've seen of this vessel seem to have a square tuck stern in fact I have another set of POB plans for this ship showing a square stern, is this just a matter of preference? or based on historic data?. I'm wondering because I may build the Mediator (or simelar vessel) in 1:20 scale RC once I am done with my Byzantium.

Thanks.

PS. Some of the drawings in the PDF aren't showing up properly such as the rudder which just shows up as the red lines for the table joint.

Lextin.

"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein.

A question: what made you go with a rounded stern rather than a square tuck? most the other models I've seen of this vessel seem to have a square tuck stern in fact I have another set of POB plans for this ship showing a square stern, is this just a matter of preference? or based on historic data?. I'm wondering because I may build the Mediator (or simelar vessel) in 1:20 scale RC once I am done with my Byzantium.

Thanks.

PS. Some of the drawings in the PDF aren't showing up properly such as the rudder which just shows up as the red lines for the table joint.

Lextin.

Hi, Lextin.

As you can see, The horizontal curve 6 ends in the rudder post exactly in the point marked as 'A'. Follow the vertical line until letter 'B'. If the plans of Chapelle are correct, at least in the points B or C, the surface is round. There is no indication about what happens over this point, but in my opinion, this point is too near of the transom and it's is not possible a square stern.

I have no probles with PDF file. Has someone else this problem? Do you have the last version of Acrobat Reader?

CONV_0771Round%2BStern.JPG

Hi, Lextin.

As you can see, The horizontal curve 6 ends in the rudder post exactly in the point marked as 'A'. Follow the vertical line until letter 'B'. If the plans of Chapelle are correct, at least in the points B or C, the surface is round. There is no indication about what happens over this point, but in my opinion, this point is too near of the transom and it's is not possible a square stern.

I have no probles with PDF file. Has someone else this problem? Do you have the last version of Acrobat Reader?

Ok thanks for the information.

I have 

Adobe Reader 6.0 and don't know if it the latest version but will try to update it.

In the forum Model Ship Builder you can find a very well done plans of the Mediator, including masts and rigging.

The MSB plans where the ones that I was referring to as having a square stern.

Lextin.

"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein.

• 5 months later...

Hi, all...

After a relax months, I've continued with the Mediator. The things I made are:

- gun ports

- sweep ports

- waterways

- spirketting

In addition, I made the plans for spars an mast. They are virtually the same of the Armed Virgina Sloop of Model Shipways, adapting sizes. I will not to include these plans to public release due to copyright restrictions.

CONV_0797DSC_0003.JPG

CONV_0798DSC_0004.JPG

CONV_0800DSC_0006.JPG

CONV_0838DSC_0003.JPG

CONV_0843DSC_0012.JPG

CONV_0845DSC_0017.JPG

CONV_0846DSC_0018.JPG

CONV_0850DSC_0018.JPG

CONV_0852DSC_0020.JPG

Edited by carlosgf

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all. A few progress:

- fixed blocks in bulwark

- reinforcement in the deck order to put the hatchways, scuttle and companionway.

- holes fot the pumps (note that pumps are inclined, nor vertical)

- hatchway, main hatchway and scuttle

- begining og the deck

- hawse holes

CONV_0857DSC_0030.JPG

CONV_0861DSC_0018.JPG

CONV_08680DSC_0017.JPG

CONV_08690DSC_0018.JPG

CONV_0871DSC_0016.JPG

CONV_0874DSC_0019.JPG

CONV_0873DSC_0018.JPG

Detalle%252520Brazola.jpg

CONV_08752DSC_0016.JPG

CONV_08772DSC_0018.JPG

She's coming along and looking good.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...