Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

1 Follower

About jwvolz

  • Birthday May 23

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    Pennsylvania, USA

Recent Profile Visitors

1,396 profile views
  1. Thanks guys. Building a fishing schooner is a nice change of pace from the warships.
  2. The false stanchions are complete. They're a bit time consuming, as each has a different inboard and outboard shape to follow the curve of the hull. Next to plank up the remaining area of the hull tot the top of the extensions.
  3. Hull planking is complete to the level of the main deck. I did edge bend where necessary, and the basswood is quite compliant in that regard.
  4. The paint underneath was definitely not dry. When I used to build plastic aircraft models I (and many others) swore by Future as a gloss coat over flat acrylics to provide a proper surface for decals. I always waited a week before applying it and never had a problem, and I only used acrylic paints (Tamiya, Polly Scale, Vallejo etc...). For final flat coat I typically used Polly Scale flat, but if you wait long enough and apply light mist coats with an airbrush you can even apply lacquer based Testor's Dullcote over acrylics.
  5. Planking has begun. Nothing too exciting really. The schooner hull makes things easier here at the bow for sure,, and there are a good number of bulkheads. I'm not planning to be super anal about the planking, since the hull will be fully painted.
  6. Planksheer outer strip is installed and the bulkhead extensions that were previously removed have been replaced and shaped to follow the curve of the hull, both inboard and out. Next up will be fabricating the false frame extensions that go between the ones shown here. There are two between each bulkhead.
  7. Good start. You may however want to re-think using those dummy barrels in the ports under the quarterdeck. In all my research building Granado I found she originally had eight six-pounders all on the main deck, and this was at one point increased to ten, with the additional two placed in the bridle/chase ports. Original documents cited in the Anatomy of Sail book back this up.
  8. The Syren rope and blocks look good; fine choice. I was wondering how you were going g to get shrouds and stays installed with the masts fully assembled...
  9. Thanks Richard (and the "likes"). They are beautiful vessels. Following along on your build as well.
  10. Planksheer and transom installed. I think my decision to remove the bulkhead extensions was a good one as it made getting the planksheer installed much easier. From the look of things a few of the extensions would have had to have been removed anyway to get it to fit. The transom is a tricky piece to get shaped correctly and installed at the proper angle. The plans are good though and it matches up well in that regard.
  11. With the deck planking being 1/16 x 1/16" strips there is a definite need for a sub-deck to avoid sagging between bulkheads. Balsa pieces were cut to fit between the bulkheads and this should give a much better base for the narrow strips. I have also decided to trim off the bulkhead extensions from the plywood bulkheads. They are very hard, yet crumble easily. I figured with them having to be shaped and beveled on both sides it will be easier to replace them after the planksheer is installed. This will also give me some wiggle room in placement of the planksheer.
  12. I agree on the super glue, and only ever use diluted white glue on rigging. Not my video, just a good visual on it.
  13. I began the Latham build a few weeks ago, and have posted a Build Log. Link to that in my signature for those interested.

About us

Modelshipworld - Advancing Ship Modeling through Research

SSL Secured

Your security is important for us so this Website is SSL-Secured

NRG Mailing Address

Nautical Research Guild
237 South Lincoln Street
Westmont IL, 60559-1917

About the NRG

If you enjoy building ship models that are historically accurate as well as beautiful, then The Nautical Research Guild (NRG) is just right for you.

The Guild is a non-profit educational organization whose mission is to “Advance Ship Modeling Through Research”. We provide support to our members in their efforts to raise the quality of their model ships.

The Nautical Research Guild has published our world-renowned quarterly magazine, The Nautical Research Journal, since 1955. The pages of the Journal are full of articles by accomplished ship modelers who show you how they create those exquisite details on their models, and by maritime historians who show you the correct details to build. The Journal is available in both print and digital editions. Go to the NRG web site (www.thenrg.org) to download a complimentary digital copy of the Journal. The NRG also publishes plan sets, books and compilations of back issues of the Journal and the former Ships in Scale and Model Ship Builder magazines.

Our Emblem

Modelshipworld - Advancing Ship Modeling through Research
  • Create New...