Jump to content


  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About johncole

  • Birthday 09/25/1957

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    Santa Rosa, California
  • Interests
    scale modeling

Recent Profile Visitors

665 profile views
  1. "In for a penny, in for a pound" Chuck, I'm following this with great interest. I'd also like to be included in the group build if there is still room. Many thanks in advance. John
  2. Tom, Nice build. I have this model in queue for when I'm feeling especially brave (and more skilled). My unsolicited vote for the deck stain is weathered oak. It looks really good to my eyes. John
  3. Shore leave has been cancelled, I'm back to work. I'll post progress as things get done. Next up: Install rat lines John
  4. Here's another good Puritan link: http://america-scoop.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=701:les-photos-de-puritan&catid=67:puritan&Itemid=893〈=en You can scale the parts from the photos. It's not an entirely accurate method, but will give you a nice representation. Hope this helps. John
  5. Thank you Bob and Andy! Yes Andy, bad angle. Looks like I was drinking while installing the mast.. The kit has some (ok, a lot) inaccuracies, and I was able to locate some old pictures online. Mayflower was built immediately following Puritan, so some of her details can be adopted. Study the pictures closely, because these boats changed their sail and furniture setups often. See link: http://www.jsjohnston.org/index.html Also, do a google image search for 'Puritan yacht' I believe there are some bow problems too, the kit likely has the wrong profile. No matter, and I don't mean to sound so critical of Mamoli. It's still a fun build. John
  6. Check out post #1, 6th pic from the top. You'll see the 3/16" sq added under the false deck and between the bulkheads. I'm not sure these were even needed, I just wanted to give the stanchions a bit more to adhere to. I had to take a break from my model due to other obligations, but I'm back at it. Standing rigging continues. Ratlines are next, then on to some sail work. John
  7. I bought my kit in the late '80's, so it's machine cut (routed). I would think the laser cut parts would be more accurate to the drawings? Anyway, I did put together a base board and bonded six small blocks (three pairs of two each) to hold the keel upright and straight. The middle two blocks are set apart a bit wider to accommodate the keel pocket doublers. You may not *need* a keel holder like this because of how the deck is installed. The deck slots key into the bulkheads, and it's important that everything fits well before gluing it down. I did quite a bit of trimming on the deck slots to get the frames to fit correctly. The top of the frames should be beveled too so that the deck lays down against them. One more thing; I added 3/16" sq. hard balsa under the deck edge, between each frame. I did this because later, you will remove the temporary frame stanchions and install the 2x3 permanent stanchions. These will go through the deck and into the balsa for a bit more integrity. I hope this helps. Have you considered starting a build log on your project? Hope you do! John
  8. Please follow along! It was your earlier posting (August I think) that jump started me to build my kit. We probably have the same kits. I elected to try a single planked scheme using bass wood, but the double planked way will also work really well. I was trying my hand at single planking to help develop some skills. Don't hesitate to contact me if you have any Q's. BTW, I'm progressing along with masts and rigging, but I'm having some photo software issues. More soon, I hope. John
  9. Rick, It looks good so far! I believe once the hull is taken away from the molds, it will make more sense. BTW, I bought this model in 1988 (the older yellow box version). I opened the kit, read the plans, and was immediately overwhelmed. I then built another kit that I believed was better suited for my skills, but truth is, I should have done WB instead. This forum is responsible for allowing so many novices the chance to enjoy this hobby, to start their first kit, and then see it through to completion. Just might have a go at my own WB now! John
  10. Some rig fittings have been installed on deck, and now it's official: the boat is named! John
  11. Mast building continues, and I'm ok with the results so far. The boom has an interesting detail that I wanted to simulate. The main sail attachment to the boom used many small steel fittings. The kit plans show a rope spiraled through the sail and around the boom. I would have likely done this too, but I've discovered Johnson's yacht pictures of Puritan and Mayflower. Pictures like these are really a blessing for scale details, but also impart the burden of "doing it right". Below shows my sequence of making them. John
  12. Bob, I'll be watching closely how you figure out unknown rigging details on your model. I've got a couple of 'unknowns' myself with my build. I agree with your observation; these boats were rigged as conditions and materials permitted. I really like how your Lettie is looking! John
  13. Hello shipmates, Work on the mast is going well, and I'm taking lots of extra time to sort out the standing and running rig plans. The urge overcame me completely and I HAD to stick the mast into the deck. What inspiration!! I might have to make the boom again, the wood I chose (ash, I think) to replace the kit's warped piece looks weird with it's big, open grain. I had no idea how it would finish with stain until I had it shaped and sanded. Oops. Lesson learned: Test wood and finishes first!! But most everything else seems to be going ok. This sloop is at the outer edge of my abilities and skill set, and I really can't imagine how I might handle a future square rigged clipper or brig. I'm persistent, and that's a good thing. John
  • Create New...