Jump to content


NRG Member
  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About Cathead

  • Rank
  • Birthday 09/08/1979

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    Missouri, USA
  • Interests
    Ecology, history, science, cooking, baseball, soccer, travel

Recent Profile Visitors

4,532 profile views
  1. If you end up doing more projects like this, you might consider an inexpensive planking iron. These apply heat to planks, helping them bend easily and quickly. It speeds up the process quite a bit and can eliminate or lower the need for awkward clamping and waiting for drying. That being said, tiny boats are tricky no matter what and easily can be maddening.
  2. As a pedantic bird-watcher, I'd like to note that that's a recognizable rendering of a Pileated Woodpecker, but the hole is wrong. Pileateds tend to make squared-off holes, not round ones. The media are so sloppy these days, nobody fact-checks anymore!
  3. Toni, where does one view/buy/download the monograph and plans? You gave no link and the NRG's Plans and Projects page doesn't have anything listed for this. Forgive me if I'm being dense and missing something obvious. This is the first I've heard of this project and would like to know more.
  4. I took a shot at some cargo based on the above ideas. I didn't take any photos during the process so you'll just have to imagine. I'm also featuring the final two figures here, which I actually painted months ago but can't remember if I ever posted. These are a "his & hers" pair representing Mrs. Cathead and myself. The blue color isn't as likely but is our favorite color. And as a birdwatcher I very much appreciate this guy's raven shield. He also has a proper axe, unlike the swordsman and spearman I already painted. I thought these would give some good scale for the cargo.
  5. For me it's less "I must be accurate" and more "avoid blatant anachronism". For example, I didn't even know whether hooped barrels had been invented then or were in use in this region. Steven, those are great, thank you. On the tapestry, as a devil's advocate, how do we know that's a barrel as opposed to, say, a rolled-up carpet? Would barrels have had such a different length-width ratio as modern ones? It looks a rather unwieldy design.
  6. Does anyone have any suggestions for reference for what Viking-era cargo might have looked like? How were barrels built? Did they use forms of crates? Would things be wrapped in some equivalent of oilcloth? I want to put some cargo within the hull (provisions for a crew, not merchant cargo) so it doesn't look so empty but am having difficulty finding information on what that would look like. Also, how might weapons have been stored? I assume stacks of axes & swords had to be reasonable accessible yet still protected from salt spray. Bundles wrapped in cloth? I just
  7. If there's one thing I've learned in modeling, it's that the final product almost always looks better than the sum of the mistakes made along the way. There's something about a finished model that draws the eye into the essence of the whole and away from any given detail. Especially for most viewers; a contest judge or expert will notice flaws, but most people will think it's pretty neat that you built anything at all, and the overall impression is often more important than the detailed nuances. Especially so for a beginner project like this. If I look closely at my earliest models, I can see
  8. You all are very kind. I do agree, now that it's pointed out, that the chatter lines echo the thwarts nicely, though that's harder to see when you're not viewing from above. As with many things in modeling, individual faults (such as they are) often get subsumed into the visual appeal of the whole, and that's probably true here. My real problem is where to put the thing; this is the first model I've built that I didn't have a prepared place for.
  9. I took a break from the ship itself to build a base, as the lack of one was holding me back from various steps. For example, I don't dare install the rudder until the hull was permanently fixed in place over a base wide enough to protect it (as the rudder sticks out way below the hull), and I can't start rigging the sail properly until the hull is stable (since I can't tip the hull onto its side once the yard is fully rigged). I pulled out some cherry and walnut that I'd harvested years ago here on my farm and bandsaw-milled. The cherry was more cupped and warped than I would have
  10. I agree that wire is the most practical way to strop a block. Easier to use and easier to tighten properly.
  11. Just found this and looking forward to following it. With a family history in northern Minnesota iron mining, and an upbringing along Lake Ontario, lake freighters are certainly of interest to me.
  12. Pretty sure the darker object you indicate is actually a grasshopper spar stowed horizontally, hanging from lines coming down from its white support spar. The angle makes a good visual illusion but if you look really closely you can see the lines wrapped around it near center. I also don't think there's any reason rolled clothes would be hung like that, especially out over the bow.
  • Create New...