Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About EKE

Contact Methods

  • Website URL

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    Los Angeles, CA
  • Interests
    Yachting of all sorts, yacht racing, naval history, radio sailing, architecture.

Recent Profile Visitors

139 profile views
  1. This looks fantastic, Tim! Well done. I'm jealous, certainly. I've been relegated to a short workbench in our garage for the last few years. But there was a time when I had a small lean-to shed off the back of an accessory garage on our last property. It was small, but cozy and perfect. There's something nice about a separate space to use as a craft retreat. Enjoy! -EKE
  2. She looks wonderful, Richard! I love the way these boats look with the black topsides. I’ll be doing my Zulu in the same way. Terrific detail on the fish hold hatch boards! I wish I had seen your log sooner, as I might have given that a try. Thanks for all the inspiration. I have a Flirt kit as well, so I’ll be following along on that one too. EKE
  3. Richard, Thanks for the thoughtful reply. It seems to me that is an interesting question for model ship builders: how for do you go in to smooth and perfect finishes? My personal inclination is to keep sanding, and to smooth out the surface as perfectly as I can. I love sanding, it’s meditative and I like the results. It probably comes from spending hours as a kid painting model cars, or sanding the bottoms of full-size racing sailboats. But models of vintage ships are different indeed. There, seeing the wood grain on certain parts, seeing the joints between elements, the pl
  4. Been super busy with work this week, trying to keep clients with high expectations happy. But I am moving forward on the Zulu, as time allows. I masked off on the waterline, and put down a first coat of red oxide bottom paint. The hull looks pretty fair! It’s going to end up nice, I think. There are a few areas which need some additional filling, but that looks to be minor. My opinion is that I want to fill all of the major gaps where there are cracks between planks, but I’m not too worried about seeing a bit of the planking broadcasting through the paint, as I think it add
  5. I finished the rubbing strakes. I spent a good amount of time measuring off the plans and marking the lines out carefully on the hull. I think they came out rather well... nice and fair. By the way, the 1mm square stock for the lower strakes is very small and brittle. If you are working with this material, be very careful. I broke one of them while trimming it to size. I had to very carefully glue it back together with CA, and then sand it down to proper dimensions. The kit is supplied with just enough stock to do the strakes, and no extra pieces. Respectfully offered: I’d
  6. I just added the top rubbing strake, which is a double, half-round bead in walnut. It really accentuates the swoop of the shear. I’m thinking that I may paint the bulwark above this strake a different color, maybe a green-black. We’ll see.
  7. I made a bit of progress this weekend. I filled and sanded the hull. Since I am painting the entire hull surface, I went in pretty heavy with the wood filler, so that I’d end up with as smooth a surface as possible. Started with 80 grit for initial pass, then 120, 220, and finally 320 grit paper. Smooth as a baby’s butt. Next, I built the rudder. I gave it good sanding, and then attached the straps for the pintels. This was a bit fiddly, as the straps are tiny, and need to be placed carefully. Fortunately, Chris has taken care of us, because the holes
  8. I’m quite proficient at spending other people’s money. That’s essentially what I do for a living.
  9. Beautiful, BE! For what it's worth, I like the look of the stem plate unpainted. It gives a crisp and detailed look to the stem profile. I'd leave it as is. -E
  10. I bet Micro-Mark could ship to the UK... don't you think? It would probably cost more to ship than the sales price for the cradle, but if you bought some more stuff, it could make sense. Micro-Mark has a bunch of terrific product, so it shouldn't be hard to find lots of things to buy.
  11. Finished the second planking this weekend. I think it came out pretty well, and should sand out nicely. I will need to do a bit of light filling with wood filler, especially at the stern post and stem, where there are some gaps at the ends of the planks. But overall, I’m pleased with the results. Here’s a few photos after an initial light sanding with 80 grit paper. Filling and more sanding to follow. Again, I am reminded how lovely the lines of this Zulu are, particularly in the stern. I’ve always been smitten with double-enders, and this one is so unique and pretty.
  12. BE, this is coming along so well! Your attention to all of the detail is inspiring. The details on the rudder seem just spot-on to me. Thank you for sharingI You mentioned “Chuck’s fiber versions” of the gudgeons and pintles. Would you please explain for this newbie? -Erik
  13. Thanks so much, Jim! I appreciate the tip. I found the Chaos Black paint on Amazon, so I’ll order some and give it a try.
  14. While I finish up the planking, I need to make some decisions about painting the hull, and I’m hoping to solicit some advice. My plan is to fill and sand the hull surface, mark the waterline, and to paint up to the waterline with a matte red oxide spray to simulate the bottom paint. All good there. But I want to paint the hull above the waterline black, in conformance with nearly all of the photos I’ve seen of Zulus. My first thought was to simply use a matte black acrylic paint like the Vallejo acrylics I have. But looking at vintage photos, it looks to me that the topsides pa
  • Create New...