Jump to content

jfinan

Members
  • Content Count

    48
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male

Recent Profile Visitors

629 profile views
  1. Just an update on the quarter gallery issue. As mentioned above, I've been trying to get the galleries to meet the port and starboard edges of the transom. I was doing this based on current photographs. Wrong! Nic Damuk has reminded me that the BlueJacket plans reflect the Connie as it was in 1812/15 where the galleries actually butt against the transom so that the transom sticks out beyond the galleries. Waddyaknow! I had it right the first time. For me, this means I don't have to rebuild! Thanks, Nic, for the reminder to FOLLOW THE *&*%^^ INSTRUCTIONS!
  2. Thanks Jay. I share your pain regarding the galleries. I have attached my second attempt to the hull and I'm going to revisit them soon. I just can't seem to get them to line up with the edge of the brass transom plate. In the meantime, I've just rough fitted the top masts and jib boom after turning them on a mini-lathe ( a birthday present from my missus). As Kurt has pointed out they're a real challenge as, at different points, they are round, square, and worst of all, octagonal. For the last part, I started with square, added thin strips to the flat four sides, added filler on the seams, an
  3. Thanks Nic! I hope your ticker is functioning well and you are having a good holiday. One thing I've noticed. Photos don't lie. I've got some serious clean-up to do!
  4. Have you ever missed a step that cost you a week of work? I was all set to install the gammoning that ties the bowsprit to the ship when I discovered that I had missed installing a "slot" in the knee through which the gammoning goes. To get in to install the slot, I had to remove all bowhead rails and timbers. Anyone who has built this boat knows what a pain they are! Each one is sized, cut, painted and placed individually. Anyway, a week later, it's done. I have revised and deleted all explicatives from this submission. 🙂
  5. It's been some time since I've reported in. Several unsatisfactory attempts to form up and paint the stern galleries caused me to abandon the project for a while but I'm back at it. Here are the fighting tops finished and married to the lower fore, main, and mizzen masts. The netting on the tops is taken from standard vinyl screen used on screen doors. It's cut and mounted on the diagonal to better mirror the original. The trim around the tops and the rings on the masts is standard cardstock.
  6. Kurt, can you fill me in how you determined which of the four stropped deadeye sizes you chose for the fighting tops? I must be missing something in the notes...
  7. Hi Kurt. Looking great! Just a heads-up so you don't make the dumb mistake I made: When rigging my HMS Endeavour I accidentally put a bit too much tension on the flying jib stay and pulled the masts just slightly out of the correct rake angle. By the time I noticed the error all the standing rigging and a good portion of the running rigging as on. All lines had to be cut and refitted. What a heartbreak. Cheers! Jim
  8. Enjoy the great weather and enjoy the trip. Pass on my best wishes to Nic Damuk at Blue Jacket who is recovering from heart surgery. Best wishes! Drive safely!
  9. In the past, I have used a small plane to shape my masts and yards. I'm thinking it's time to invest in a small lathe with an accompanying chuck. I had settled on the one Mico-Mark sells only to discover they won't ship that item to Canada. I'm one disappointed Canuck! It seems to me the chuck is essential for this kind of shaping. Ideas (sources) are most welcome and thanks in advance!
  10. I have the Marquardt book, purchased at the Constitution Museum gift shop, and indeed, it is a great reference. That said, I have resolved not to sweat any detailing that will not be seen. As my late Irish mother would say, "A blind man would like to see it". Thanks re: the deck. I had to fill to microscopic gaps (just big enough to grab the eye) but now they're pretty much invisible. I used the two decking sheets from Blue Jacket. In hindsight, I wish I had experimented with ink (wipe on/wipe off) between the planks to add some realism. I might still experiment on some stained deck s
  11. Dear fellow Audi Owner! To be honest, the build is a challenge. If you are a novice, you really should look elsewhere. The instruction book is a substantial compendium of historical information, such as differing descriptions of many iterations and renovations to the ship from 1797 onward, occasionally interspersed with model instructions and advice. If you are used to seeing straightforward step-by-step build instructions in chronological order, you won't find it here. That said, if you love having plenty of options, and enjoy personal research, this one's for you! Good luck!
  12. I'd like to take a moment to say thanks to all of you who send along words of support and advice. This build is a monster! A special shout-out to Kurt Hauptfueher. His attention to detail is inspiring and humbling!
  13. The knees, horizontal beams and the visible stanchions are in. Now I'm carving out the two halves of the spar deck. A lot of trial and error. More trial and less error I hope.
  14. According to the instructions, sixty-two knees, that will support the beams under the spar deck, are to be jigsawed out of a single 5/32" plank. Since that sounded like a monstrous task to me I opted to make the knees by "glue-lamming" some hull planking left over from a earlier kit. Here's a few of them, shaped with the Dremel and lightly sanded. To fit the curved bulwark, each will have to be fitted individually.
×
×
  • Create New...