Jump to content

stripehunter

Members
  • Content Count

    104
  • Joined

  • Last visited

About stripehunter

  • Birthday 05/20/1977

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Location
    Lancaster, PA USA

Recent Profile Visitors

636 profile views
  1. I have this kit in my closet for the future if i can ever get myself back into modelling. This kit is a bit odd as there are some major features that dont seem to belong to either version of the connie. Since you are going back in time this might not be much use to you but i have a bunch of pics taken from a modellers perspective of interest of the late version down in baltimore. https://modelshipworld.com/topic/15595-reference-photos-from-vist-to-uss-constellation-in-baltimore-md/?tab=comments#comment-484865
  2. I realized after clamping down the deck that I had a bulkhead misshaped, and had a bit of a dip right in the center on both sides. Once the glue set I razored the glue on that bulkhead and got it shimmed up to level out. My log has me up to about 65 hours invested. Lost a lot of time on the deck.
  3. Main deck completed. upper deck started. Took extra care to synch the planking pattern with that of the main deck. Gluing down decks:
  4. A pic of the final version of my drilling template. I would draw a line across the deck at the butt joints, then center the 4 hole pattern on that over a butt joint at opposite ends of the deck and drill. Then i'd draw two lines through all the holes. To drill the remaining holes i'd center the holes in the pattern over these lines, then center the plank edge under the reference holes, hold down and drill. I tried tracing out lines and drilling free hand, but even after starting with a sharp point i found the template to be quicker and more consistent. I started toothpicking with bamboo.
  5. A sports injury wrecked my shoulder so ive not been able to work for some time. I finally got all the holes on the main deck done. Will start plugging them soon. The templates i was using for drilling my holes were of very thin brass. As I used them for drill guides, the bit would ovee time enlarge the holes in the template. I replaced it a couple times before finally using some much thicker brass. Getting the holes lined up and drilled in the thicker brass was a challenge in its own right but finally got it done. Then i immediately made a duplicate to use as a master if i need to redrill anot
  6. Been getting some work in. Not much progress, but up to about 1000 holes. Admiral was giving me some fresh orders while i was drilling, and i accidentally made a 4 pattern where there should have been a two pattern (after this pic was taken). Oops. Going to leave it as is and hope i can cover it with a cannon or something. As subtle as the nails will be i doubt it will be noticed by anyone but me. Tried lining off and freehanding the holes, but i find my brass strip templates to be quicker and more accurate. I drill two four patterns at butt joints on far ends of the deck then line through the
  7. Will be watching closely. I have this kit in the closet and hope to get to it sometime in the next year or two. Great work so far as always.
  8. My sister and her husband on their first Christmas together bought a live tree and planted it at our old homestead some 20 years ago. The tree became a hazard and i had to cut it down. I felt bad about it, and saved some log sections from it which were slowly drying in my basement for a couple years. I finally did something with a piece of it, making a small fir tree out of the big one. My first attempt at this type of carving. I was quite happy with how it went. Roghed out the cone on the band saw and belt sander, the let fly with the dremel and hoped for the best. It made her a wonderful gif
  9. Sanded off the ink stamped nails. Began drilling out to use toothpicks. I made a new template, and am making my holes and rows much more consistently than I had before.
  10. catching up on my deck progress. The Jig I made for cutting consistent planks using scrap wood and an old vinyl floor sample. I used black acrylic paint on one side and one end for caulking. My simulated trenails before I decided to sand them out and start over.
  11. Thanks all. I've already sanded them out and started drilling holes. I didn't like the pattern either. I had some sloppiness in the template I made for making them. I did a poor job of getting my holes dead center on my layout lines. What I did this time, I drilled a hole in one sheet of brass, then centered that hole over the bottom sheet of brass with the marks on it. centered the hole on the cross mark, clamped in position, and used the top sheet as basically a drill bit holder to keep the bit from walking and removing an inaccurate punch process. Looking back at some pics I took las
  12. Life has kept me from doing much work for some time. Ive been working on my deck planking. I have some more log photos to post as time permits. In the meantime though im looking for opinions on my simulated trenails. Im thinking i dont like the results so much. Not as subtle as id hoped. Im seriously contemplating sanding them out and trying something else. Thoughts please?
  13. continued working and shaping bow and stern blocks. Working one side of the bow to start. first two bulkheads seem a bit 'off'. The first one seems too small in places, and the 2nd is mostly too big. Will take some more work to find a happy medium between them.
  14. encountered my first oddity with the kit when starting to work on my bow and stern fillers. The upper deck extends way beyond the back of the keelson, as do the filler blocks provided. I compared all to the scale drawing, and it looks like the stern filler blocks are the desired dimension to use. The plywood keelson is cut out way too short in the stern. Once I made that decision, I started shaping and gluing bow and stern filler blocks. Still have much work to go on that.
×
×
  • Create New...