Jump to content


NRG Member
  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited


About mbp521

  • Birthday 06/16/1968

Profile Information

  • Location
    Far North Texas

Recent Profile Visitors

1,138 profile views
  1. Keith, Its not the Tennessee, but I thought it was pretty ironic. I was perusing through Facebook when I ran across this post from the NRG showing the hoisting of the stuns’l on the Pride of Baltimore II. While it’s not identical, it kind of shows something similar to your drawing above. https://m.facebook.com/prideII/videos/897213800806335/?refsrc=https%3A%2F%2Fm.facebook.com%2F127406460658253%2Fposts%2F3889303477801847&_rdr -Brian
  2. Vlad, glad to see another build from you. Looking forward to following along on another beautiful ship. -Brian
  3. Dan, I was going back through my build log looking for something I had previously posted when I ran across this post. I know that it has been a while since you posted it, but I believe the info that you are referencing about the modifications to the armor plating was noted in the "Hardluck Ironclad: The Sinking and Salvage of the Cairo" by Edwin C. Bearss. I read this book a couple of months ago and I remembered that he writes about the testing of the plating at the Cairo, IL shipyard where the test fired cannon balls into the plating from across the river. Bearss also
  4. ...and away we go! Great start. By the way, not sure if you previously mentioned it or not, but what is the color you are using for the coamings and waterways? I like it! -Brian
  5. Eric, Beautiful job on the base. The chatter marks from the sawmill add a nice rustic touch to the whole ensemble. All of the boards on the ship would have been hand hewn so there would be plenty of them on the hull to fall right in line with the base. I think you are selling yourself short and don’t see why you don’t use that base for the permanent display. As for the workspace, I feel your pain. I’ve been dealing with the same issue for over a year now. Since the pandemic, we have been working from home and my shipyard has had to share room with my home office. I have
  6. Keith, It’s always worth it when the tedium pays off. Even more fun getting to do the happy dance. Beautiful job on the jack stays. -Brian
  7. Brett, Thanks for stopping by. Good to see another fellow Texan on here. HSR stands for the Historic Structure Report. This is a document that the National Park Service made available on their website. It contains detailed information on the salvage and reconstruction of the Cairo, her permanent berth structure, and numerous detailed drawings of what she looked like after she was rebuilt. These drawings are what I am mostly basing this build off of. If you wan to take a look at them, the PDF can be downloaded from the NPS website: https://www.nps.gov/archeology/sites/su
  8. George, you’re a braver man than me. I always put the planking down then come back with the coamings because I don’t think I could ever get the planks to line up correctly if I didn’t. I’d have gaps all over the place. However it is a better method if you are painting them. It gives a cleaner look without the worry of getting (and cleaning) paint from the deck. Can’t wait to see what they look like installed. -Brian
  9. Eric/Ken, I guess it was a poor choice of words. Just to me all the “fiddly bits” of this build don’t substantiate to much until they are actually placed on the boat. But I guess if I look back on it I was a little productive since my last update. I have a whole shelf with the cannon carriages, ammo crates, cannon implements and various other odds-n-ends just waiting to be installed, just getting a bit anxious to see them in place I suppose. -Brian
  10. Thank you Gary. I guess that is one of the fun challenges of scratch builds, finding a way to get yourself out of that corner. As for the 1-2-3 blocks, I picked these up a couple of months ago and I can’t figure out how I ever got along without them. They are indeed handy tools to have around. -Brian
  11. Thank you Keith. All the little bits add up after a while. It’s going to be nice when they are all in place and not scattered about my work bench. -Brian
  12. Hello again Everyone, Once again slow going, but I figured I'd go ahead and throw out there what I completed this time around. Forward armor plating of the casemates and hawse pipes were completed. The armor plating similar to the port and starboard sides. This side was a little trickier as the rivets weren't all in line so it made it a little more complex to get them all placed correctly. Next up were the junior officer quarters. Again more research was done to determine how these rooms were construct
  13. Eric, For what it’s worth, I think you made the right choice going with the sail unfurled instead of stowed. The extra weathering added a nice touch to it. With the sails set and all oars locked in place, she’s going to be a beautiful display. As for your poor mans lathe, I still turn all my yards that way, or any piece that requires a taper. I feel that I have more control with the sandpaper than when it’s in my actual lathe. -Brian
  14. Daniel, it just amazes me as to how much detail you can put into each and every little segment of the this build. Truly fascinating. It’s a joy to watch you work. -Brian
  • Create New...