Jump to content

Tim Moore

  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    Port Perry Canada

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. I purchased the kit after reading your review...it’ll be my next project after I finish the Bounty rigging.
  2. here are remaining instructions from the parts list booklet.
  3. Hi Geehard - I’m just finishing up an AL Bounty - where are you at & what do you need to know?
  4. Lower foremast yard is hoisted. Messed up the chain (actually rope) length slightly as it’s a complicated loop assembly that had to be pre made. The end result is just that the lanyards between loops are a bit short. I’ll get the mainmast right, decide whether to fix this later.
  5. Thanks! I use CA, find it’s very effective tool, faster and less messy if used sparingly. I find the carpenters glue tends to leave more residue but do use that sometimes.
  6. Hi. I just use thread. My block tying routine (illustrated below) is: 1. Rub thread with beeswax 2. loop around block and tie knot at bottom 3. stick the block in vice and twirl thread a few times if you need the block to stand off yard or mast. Rub a drop of glue on thread to fix it. 4. tie the open ends of thread around yard or mast, fix with glue and trim
  7. The lower yard on the foremast showing scope of all the gear that must be attached. This isn’t quite finished yet, still needs the foot ropes and parrel assembly and some final tidying up.
  8. Yes my plan at the moment is to do sails, unless it ends up looking too cluttered.
  9. Thanks Patrick and Sam for the kind comments. The first two yards have been hoisted in place, using the parrels and without need for any temporary pinning. Man there is a ton of rigging on this puppy. Ropes everywhere. Nice to have such a great hobby for these strange days.
  10. Working on the yards. The hoops for attaching the booms to the lower yards in the kit were unusable, so am fashioning something from slices of aluminium tube, brass wire and a dab of Ca. Should look acceptable all painted up with gunmetal.
  11. Thanks Nils - much appreciated coming from an accomplished scratch builder; and likewise to all for the likes. Im currently splicing together pieces of walnut from the remains of old completed kits to make up some of the Bounty spars as there were a few pieces of dowel missing from my kit. Knew I saved all those bits and pieces for a reason.
  12. Thanks Mark. Yes been pushing the Bounty onwards, in the groove on completing the rigging. Looking forward to seeing your Victory work when you are able to get back at it.
  13. So that’s it for the fixed rigging - next step is the running rigging and sails, so I’ll have to head back to the wood shop, fire up the drill press and finish fashioning all the yards and attachments.
  14. Thanks Yves, and everyone for the thumbs. Just about finished diagram 5 of the 21 Bounty rigging plans. Drawings are ok except for a few educated guesses that need to be made, and a few errors in numbering. Made a little more tedious by the fact there was no dark thread provided in the kit except for one small spool of 0.8mm brown that ran out immediately, so I’ve had to stain the natural stuff as I go along. Managed a fairly even taughtness of all the lines so far without any of the back stays in place yet, which is a good sign.

About us

Modelshipworld - Advancing Ship Modeling through Research

SSL Secured

Your security is important for us so this Website is SSL-Secured

NRG Mailing Address

Nautical Research Guild
237 South Lincoln Street
Westmont IL, 60559-1917

About the NRG

If you enjoy building ship models that are historically accurate as well as beautiful, then The Nautical Research Guild (NRG) is just right for you.

The Guild is a non-profit educational organization whose mission is to “Advance Ship Modeling Through Research”. We provide support to our members in their efforts to raise the quality of their model ships.

The Nautical Research Guild has published our world-renowned quarterly magazine, The Nautical Research Journal, since 1955. The pages of the Journal are full of articles by accomplished ship modelers who show you how they create those exquisite details on their models, and by maritime historians who show you the correct details to build. The Journal is available in both print and digital editions. Go to the NRG web site (www.thenrg.org) to download a complimentary digital copy of the Journal. The NRG also publishes plan sets, books and compilations of back issues of the Journal and the former Ships in Scale and Model Ship Builder magazines.

Our Emblem

Modelshipworld - Advancing Ship Modeling through Research
  • Create New...