Jump to content

Dr PS - Paul Schulze

Members
  • Posts

    304
  • Joined

  • Last visited

About Dr PS - Paul Schulze

  • Birthday April 11

Contact Methods

  • Website URL
    http://www.ClearStarryNights.com

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Location
    North Central Texas
  • Interests
    Astrophotography, drones, N-gauge model railroading, and now model ship building. Professor Emeritus.

Recent Profile Visitors

1,570 profile views
  1. I finished this model and then I decided to post log pictures. There are lots of good build logs in this forum so I will post a sequence of progress pictures with few comments. I used a wide removable tape to spile the strokes. A pencil was used to mark the in-place strake and bulkhead marks for next strake. Tape was removed and marks joined using a French Curve. Tape was laid on wood and wood was cut and shaped as needed. Rudder and shaft Building interior parts Engine parts
  2. The sail mounting and sail rigging was completed. The oars were carved, painted and bundled. The Gokstad is finished. 😎
  3. I assume the prototype had black and yellow shields else I would have gone with more colors. The boat builders did a fabulous job and they had fantastic skills for the tenth century. I finally finished the sail. Using the following steps : - Cut sail out - Mark sew lines and edge fold line with lead pencil - Cut corners for folding - Fold sail edges over twice using fabric glue and a hot iron - Mark and “punch” small holes in sail edge every 1/2” for needles. These holes will also be used to attach sail to mast. - Use needle and .35 rope around sail edge - Use same process for sail ties
  4. I assume the prototype had black and yellow shields else I would have gone with more colors. The boat builders did a fabulous job and they had fantastic skills for the tenth century.
  5. Finally have the shields done, painted and in place. The picture shows just one side done. I have decided to skip the oars for now and do the sail next.
  6. I enjoyed seeing your work and what I see looks like a fine build so far. I really like the Dusek kit. I am slowing trying to finish mine but other things have taken me away for a while.
  7. I thought about using acetone to free them up, but allowing the strakes to follow their natural flow would result in shortening the strakes at the stem. The only solution then would be to cut new boards I believe you are correct in saying the shields will hide small errors. I have not had this issue before but I have learned I have to be more careful.
  8. Yes there is a small kink on that side near the stern. I noticed it later after I was finished planking and did not know how to fix it except to remove several layers and reshape the frames as needed. That option was nixed as I have been using CA glue for the strakes. I should have been more careful and watched the fairing as I proceeded. Thanks for your comments, Paul
×
×
  • Create New...