Jump to content

mikegr

Members
  • Content Count

    55
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. I built dozens of 1/700 ship models using paintbrush long time ago. In this scale airbrush is not a must , my thought. But if you enter the world of dioramas an airbrush is a great tool for creating different shades of the sea water, making your work looking very real. Now I am scratchbuilding large projects about 1 meter long using spray cans. Although I get the job done, for painting smaller parts airbrush is essential as it can regulate the amount of paint and prevent overflow. However its still a big machine with a considerable cost. So I am about to buy a starter kit with dual action
  2. Hello MCO has been over, at least for now. Some new material ordered as well as a few tools. Meanwhile I have been working on the superstructure level by level. The main silhouette is clearly shown now I will start gradually building details while correcting some imperfections. I am also experimenting with the deck color which varies from picture to picture of the real ship, depends the time those are taken as well as weather condition.
  3. I need to cut 1mm wide fillets of wood. Looking for a tool I found this one which might be useful cutter
  4. Everything can be worked up to a good point. This is how my 1:700 Yamashiro looks after restoration. A project built 24 years ago with brush only ofcourse.
  5. I have been started making the superstructure. Unlike modern cargo ships it has a round delicate shape, its not a square box. That makes it more challenging to built. For the front curved areas I use aluminum sheet 0.2 mm thick, quite easy to bend. I drill it then making window frames using staples cutting in L shape pieces. After gluing them and dry i have to trim it to give he perfect shape Quite time consuming procedure.
  6. There has been some snowfall which slowed down my progress. I have finished the polysterene work on the hull. Also, due to fact i used 8mm thick plywood for the frame, i had to sharpen the stern and bow as well. Some smalls frame parts from the paper model were trimmed down to almost elimination. The next step was to aplly filler is some areas and sand them. It took me two evenings to finish it. Next thing was to cut the deck. At the moment and cause of lockdown the only wood available was 4mm MDF. I managed to sand it down t 2,5 mm aprox. Then cut it and fit it to hull. As fo
  7. The initial paper model plan calls for a 3 decker ship. In my A4 printed test model this proved quite rigid even not proper paper have been used. However that would require too much woodwork which I would like to avoid as a begginer. After weeks of research i decided to plank the hull using pieces of aluminum sheet 0.2mm thick, which is easier to work with, than wood. But this thing has to sit somewhere solid so my model won't end up as a Coke can. After research I decided to use polystyrene, light and easier to give it shape. Polystyrene has its drawbacks. If pressed even gently with fing
  8. Ok after a week on evening work managed to fit bulkheads on frame. Fitting them vertically was the one thing. In my ocassion I had to measure the distance from frame to bulkhead edges to make sure are well positioned. Redrawing and cutting fitting slots by hand is a job that can't be done perfectly by a begginer. I ordered a PU glue so I can fill in gaps easier but cause of lockdown, shops only accept online orders and courier services are overloaded so delivery time is 2-3 weeks! Anyway I just used some wood filler. Not of great importance but I wanted the hull to look a bit better
  9. I cut the two parts of the central frame. I use plywood 8 mm. Noticed some peeling off after cutting so I coated all the edges with epoxy resin which sealed the wood. I marked the cutting areas with modeling tape, slots were redrawn from 1mm to 3 mm wide so they can fit the bulkeads.
  10. Done with bulkheads. I had to redraw the slots from 1mm wide to 8 since I'm going to use 8mm thick wood for the frame
  11. Kit has some inaccuracies so I have to do some extra work but nothing that can't be fixed. At the hands of an expert builders though it can look very impressive
  12. Meantime I printed the ship in my A4 printer and made a prototype just to get familiarized with the model. Purpose was not to be the best looking, just to get the basic idea. I used whatever paper I had some cardboard and plastified regular paper
  13. I got printed the first batch of drawings. Noticed that original size is in A3.I measured the overall length and was found to be 3 cm shorter than displayed. So I did the calculations and printed the hull plans 31% larger instead of 28% to get the correct dimensions in 1/160. Not Sure about the other sheets though, regarding the bridge, cranes, etc.
×
×
  • Create New...