Jump to content

Jerry Sturdivant

Members
  • Content Count

    28
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. The plans call for about 60 short pieces of wood to place between ribs. So I set up a little assembly line by making a table saw out of my Dremel drill press. Then a little sanding on each one and started gluing.
  2. I've always wanted to do one of those. When I finish my current project, I'll get one like yours. I, too, like to add my own touches. And I'll be referring back to here for your tips.
  3. Now to gluing the ribs. When trimming the wood gaps where the laser cutter stopped, I didn’t clean the carbon very well and noticed the yellow glue didn’t bond well. So when I flipped the glued-together center boards over, I spend more time sanding the carbon off. When these last few ribs are glued, I’ll add some glue all along where the ribs contact the center boards. I will also sand the black carbon off the exposed parts of the ribs you see here before adding the planks.
  4. Thanks, Ryland; you've earned a free ride in my boat... I'm doing some of my fairing ahead of time, thanks to the blue prints. (Should I call them white prints?). A little pencil work (being sure to cut the correct side). Then cut it down to where I hope it should be. I'll leave the fine fairing for when it's all together and braces are in.
  5. Rather than christening the ship early with a pint of my blood, (and the inevitable stiches), I dropped my blade and grabbed my Dremel. That was nice, it was like molding wax.
  6. I thought I could add more story and pictures to one post, but I guess not. (I'll learn the editing as I go). Cutting the Rabbit. Here I am, slinging my blade (notice no blood, yet). Worked rather well.
  7. Laying the keel, so to speak. I’m doing what an amateur shouldn’t; deviating from the plans. The Center keel is so thick, ¼” that the laser cutter wouldn’t properly cut through it. So they made a port and starboard center keel of 1/8” each and they’re to be glued together. The plans say, after doing the ½ bulkheads on each side, THEN glue it together; but I watch the video of this young lady building it a different way: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFT_cmY7NVI Here’s port and starboard center keel glued together.
  8. This will be my third kit. I hope I learned enough from the first two. 18th Century Longboat (1750-1760) - Jerry Sturdivant - Model - Shipways Scale 1:48 Sloup Sloup Coquillier (1912+) - Jerry Sturdivant - Corel Scale 125
  9. FINISHED! After I saw another Sloup here on a pedestal I liked the way it looked and did the same. Just in time, too, because after a long delay (because of the virus and international shipping, I suppose) I’ve just received my, Glad Tidings – Pinky Schooner. This will be my third model and an increase in difficulty. I understand I’m to put my pictures here and also in another area for, COMPLETED Kits. Hope I’m doing it right. 18th Century Longboat (1750-1760) - Jerry Sturdivant - Model - Shipways Scale 1:48 Sloup Coquillier (1
  10. I’m looking around for a forum to ask a question, this seems to be it. Somewhere in Model Ship World I’d seen instructions on how to wrap rope around ship oars. Now that I need it, I can’t find it. This is my current project: Sloup Coquillier (1912+) - Jerry Sturdivant - Corel Scale 125 I have the oars painted and the rope ready, but where in this large database did I see the rope wrapping and knotting? Thanks..
  11. Thanks, Jim I guess us and the English are separated by a common language. Heh. I don't know if I should put this picture in the lead-in, or just add as I go. Anyway: This may be cheating, but in making the oars, the stock is rectangle. (Note the second oar laying on the drill deck) 4 x 6 mm beach board. So to make round out of rectangle, I chucked it up in my drill press and kinda ‘lathed’ it., ‘cause I don’t like sanding when I don’t have to.
  12. Thanks, Clive: I found the sails too big. Seems they built the ship on paper, then the ship. My Gaff risers went two-block and left the sail slack. So I moved the block rigging up a centimeter. Sill had mainsail problems, but I noticed on seeing other models, everybody has. So I trimmed the sales and made do. I still can't find out why only 3 mainsail rings and why so high - and no boom downhaul. I've sailed a 90' Baltic gaff-rigged schooner (flat bottom) and had rings all the way up the main. I have his question elsewhere on this site; I just haven't learned how to move arou
  13. Thanks, JJT. Perhaps in error, I posted this title as 1:25 scale when it should be 1:48. I can't find a way to edit this so I was hoping you, as a Moderator, could. Thank you.
  14. Top pencil marks where I two-blocked, leaving the sail loose, so I moved that rigging up. (See my photos.) 2ed, 3ed & 4th pencil are the three rings holding the mainsail to the mast. Not distance from third to boom. 5th pencil points to floating boom. In my photos (in the constructions area, for which I forgot the name) I put in a downhaul. Perhaps this is an historic rigging. I can't photo the English version of this ships history, if you with. Thanks for looking.
×
×
  • Create New...