Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About Danstream

  • Birthday 08/16/1957

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    The Netherlands

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. I second all what was said: awesome, outstanding, magnificent. I learnt a lot from this build. Congratulations, Dan.
  2. Spectacular model @MESSIS, not commonly seen and very evocative of stories from dawn of civilization. I have followed it with interest. You made me pick up again these old books. Well done, Dan.
  3. Thanks Dan. Yes, I started the hull first because, being my first build, and being the planking of the hull the most intimidating part, I wanted to be sure I was able to complete it satisfactorily before investing my time with other parts.
  4. Hi all, after a long interval, I am posting some small progress on my build of the Mayflower. Finally, I completed the planking of the first layer. This is a close-up of the bow where I engraved a groove for accepting the keel piece. As said before, I realized that strakes pattern is not quite correct there, but it will suffice as first layer. I am happy that I finished the planking, because I started to get a bit tired of it. I started sanding and filling with a white filler for wood, proceeding progressively by areas. This is the overall view of the hull with th
  5. Amazing build! Very interesting, captivating, well researched and absolutely unique. I learnt a lot about these Egyptian vessels. On top, your outstanding workmanship made your build a pleasure to follow. Congratulations and now the difficult question is: what's next? Best regards, Dan.
  6. Looks very good @MESSIS. I like the way you tied up the oars better than the way showed in the picture of the real replica, where the thrust of the oars is transmitted to the ship via the ropes. In your way, the oars push directly on the stanchions during the active part of their stroke (but perhaps there might be an issue of deterioration of the area of contact?). Very good job in carving fifty identical oars. Dan.
  7. Dear all, the discussion is very interesting. Just a clarification for Messis: clearly I did not translate the text above, I just downloaded the translation from internet once the episode of Tiresias popped up in my memory. I studied ancient Greek in my Gymnasium school in Italy, but it was 45-50 years ago and I completely lost my skills for translation. However, after the last posts, I went back to my books and indeed, the term used in my text of the Odissea was αθηρολοιγόν. Now my Greek-Italian vocabulary translate it as 'ventilabro', which, as it was indicated also by Louie above,
  8. As said in the post above, I went on with my build, but I have not very exciting progress to show, just few more planks added to the hull. I glued balsa gussets all along the false keel that will help to better support the garboard. For now, the planking is following the incorrect pattern that was initiated before, but after I studied the material indicated to me by Backer in his posts above, in particular the presentation by Chuck, I tried to spile the last applied strake. I did not spile it in the true way, I just bent and formed the strip within his plane, but the d
  9. I am following your build, being much intrigued by the subject. About the oars, let me post an information that probably is not of much practical help, but it is a direct account from the poet. In his journey in the afterworld, Odysseus seeks out and talks to Tiresias, the great prophet who alone among the dead is allowed to retain his true mind (nous). He advises him how to avoid the various dangers that await him on his way home and how finally to make peace with Poseidon. To achieve this peace, Tiresias instructs Odysseus to plant an oar in a place where ships and the sea are
  10. Thank you so much Backer! I had seen only one of the pdf that you linked. I will read the others with interest. Meanwhile, I went on with the planking following the slope that I penciled in the posted photo, which clearly is the wrong pattern on the bow. I am happy that this is the first planking, so I can correct the pattern with the second one. I have now understood that I should have spiled the planks and I will do that with the second layer. I am going to post more pictures soon, but there will not be anything exciting, just the completion of the wrong first layer. Thank y
  11. Your build is so sharp! It looks great! Are the gratings made of walnut? Regards, Dan.
  12. Hi all, I am a slow builder, so I have only a small update since my last post. I completed the first band of planking that I made of five strakes. It took me long time, about one day per strake, probably because of my inexperience. I know this is just the first planking and it will be covered, but I am using it as a learning class, so I am trying to do it as good as I can. The strakes are made of ramin wood (5 mm x 1 mm) which I am finding rather hard to bend. I tried to preform each strake as much as I could, but at the end there is always some bending and twisting to overcome, so, at the e
  13. Thank you Mark! However, let me take the opportunity to add a numerical assessment. If I assume that I use a gun with a mass which is 50 times the mass of the cannonball (it is just a guess of mine to make a case, I do not know what could be a realistic mass ratio), then using the first principles mentioned above, I obtain that the velocity of the cannonball for the recoil case is about 99% of the velocity that I would obtain for the no-recoil case. Therefore, for a case with the masses of above, the reduction of velocity is probably insignificant. This can be explained by the fact
  • Create New...