Jump to content

Joseph F.

  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. @Nirvana Thanks for the compliment! I tried to make the nail heads as flush as possible, but I didn’t file them down. My veneer planks went down pretty well, but it might have been better to do that. I have done a lot of little things on the schooner this week, but I didn’t take a lot of pictures. Attaching the posts for the railings was the most time consuming thing. I used Ammo by Mig Burnishing Fluid again to blacken the metal parts of the kit, and it really gives a great iron-like finish, much better than paint. I would highly recommend th
  2. I bought this kit a few months ago from HobbyTown, not knowing a thing about this hobby, and got a few tools I thought I would need. I’ve used them all so far, and gathered many more tools. Two boat kits later, I feel experienced enough to tackle this ship. The instructions on CD are mainly visual, but it’s gotten me through so far. I may be missing a couple timbers, but thankfully it seems all the hardware is here. I had intended to build the Bounty Launch from Model Shipways next, but I ran into trouble early into that kit. By comparison, this kit h
  3. Before I glued the gunwales, I gave the hull two or three coats of Rustoleum white paint, which went on pretty well over the polyurethane, but I should have done some more sanding beforehand. After that, the rest of the boat came together fairly easy. I glued the gunwales to the frame and planked the stern section, and also sanded and bent a brass handle for the stern hatch. This picture shows the tiller after it was hung, and also a closeup of the hull after painting. Rigging the sails was very easy and fun, I tried to u
  4. Started exterior planking, found the clinker hull style to be very easy to do once I got started. Most difficult part was joining the ends of the planks to the bow and stern, and I’ll be the first to admit I didn’t do a very good job, but wood putty covers a multitude of errors. Tried Testor’s Wood Glue in the brown tube for some things, it’s good for exterior decoration, but don’t expect it to bear any weight or pressure. Had to resort to super glue on the planking. Super glue has the amazing property of binding to your fingers instantly, but
  5. Started my second boat kit this weekend, Providence Whaleboat by Artesania Latina, one of their beginner’s kits. I’ve consulted the other build logs and am trying to avoid the issues they found with this kit, and it’s coming together very well so far. Frames fitted neatly, though the plywood was very brittle. Using a lot more tools on this kit than I did on my first, getting a much better result. The instructions just call this the “interior side piece.” Made double sure that it would fit cleanly, since I saw other builders having trouble with this
  6. Wood dust and putty helped me fill gaps between planks. Had no issue attaching the gunwale frames and the breast hook. An oar as it comes from the laser-cut board, vs one that has been sanded. I painted the boat with some spray paint I had in the garage, tan for the boat, dark green for the gunwales, and white for the seats and oars. I found the rope that came with the kit to be a bit too big and glossy, so I used some twine rubbed in beeswax for the beckets. This has b
  7. Thanks for the comments everyone. It's taken me a week to get back to it because of other projects, and because I needed some time to think about some problems I ran across. 1. I glued the stem and transom too far inward. 2. I forgot to sand the frames down before planking. 3. I arranged the planks flush, and not in a overlapping "clinker" style. None of these are major issues, but I do have gaps between the planks now, which I might try to fix with wood putty. Had no issue gluing the garboard planks to the frames, but I couldn't get them to hold to the stem and transo
  8. I know this is not the first build of this kit on this forum, but I decided to post my log of it for my own reference if nothing else. Very excited to start, I've only ever built plastic models, so this will be a learning experience. The kit I got comes with some basic tools, allowing you to build it out of the box. I already had most of the tools, but I won't say no to extra tweezers, clamps, paint, and glue. You can make the bottom from a single piece or three planks. I chose the latter, though I did use the single piece to mark off lengths
  9. Thanks to all repliers, Mark especially. To answer questions about other tools I have, I have several hobby knives, several pliers and tweezers, lots of clamps, and a rotary tool. I hope to have something to show in a couple weeks! @Chuck Seiler We've been here since 1607
  10. I'm from East Virginia, a lover of the water and a long-time reader of nautical fiction. I'm primarily an armor modeler, but I am going into wooden ships. I have ordered several kits which I plan to finish in this order to familiarize myself with the craft: Model Shipways 1/24 Grand Banks Dory Artesania Latina 1/24 Providence Whaleboat Artesania Latina 1/24 Jolly Boat from HMS Bounty Artesania Latina 1/85 Sultan Arab Dhow Artesania Latina 1/41 1819 Virginia Schooner Model Shipways 1/64 1803 Brig Syren I am also getting the following tools: Ra
  • Create New...