Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

1 Follower

About JohnB40

  • Birthday 08/21/1952

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    Oregon Coast
  • Interests
    Hiking and ship modeling

Recent Profile Visitors

1,818 profile views
  1. Hi Boris, I watched an interesting show on TV last night about finding the wreck of the Scharnhorst in the depths off of Stanley. After following your build I could identify every part of the ship the ROV was filming. What a pity to see such a fine looking ship torn to pieces by 11" shells laying on the bottom. I was thinking of the lost lives of all the sailors shown on your posted photos and those on the program who went down with the ship......What a waste.
  2. Hi Mike, I think this is great. One of my all time favorite cars. A friend had the van version in Morocco,nothing could stop it.
  3. Your Confederacy looks great Peter, I have enjoyed following your build. I am awaiting photos of your final sanding thickness of the inner bulwarks. Comparing what you have already done to my more or less untouched ones,it looks like I better stock up on sandpaper.
  4. I use a Micro-Mark table saw (non tilting). It is made in Japan and with a Proxxon fine blade it has served me well. If I am careful setting the fence and feed slowly it can make a cut with an accuracy of .004" when measured with a caliper. This surprises me somewhat for the price paid. Maybe I got lucky,but I certainly have no complaints
  5. At my rate of building,I'll be checking back in about a year with the hull finished!
  6. I couldn't use the 1/16" basswood strips for the moldings,so I used boxwood supplied by a Luthiers supply which I cut to size on my Micro-Mark table saw. The black painting used was mars black artists acrylic,very diluted and many coats applied. I first used golden oak Minwax oil based stain,but didn't like the result. I sanded it down,used a really diluted shellac mixed from flakes as thin sealing coat. This I sanded lightly and used General Finishes water based oak stain wiped off quickly. I finally ended with more or less blotchy free look...
  7. Greetings to all, Whilst being under house arrest and inspired by the other Confederacy builds on the forum,I have at long last finished the planking above the main wales. As I'm about to flip her over on her deck to carry on with hull planking,I thought I would share a few photos. I have included a few of the jig I used for bending planks for the stem and the building board and adjustable height stand. I have another building board made to support the deck to hold her steady for the lower planking.
  8. Boris, Only one word for it....Exquisite
  9. This is a forum for model ship building...Please let us leave politics off the forum,there are other venues available for that purpose.
  10. Danny, You have achieved a rare thing in life....Friends and great respect from just about every part of the globe. I have greatly enjoyed all your projects and posts. God speed, John
  11. Peter, The construction on your Confederacy looks great. I'm looking forward to viewing future progress. John

About us

Modelshipworld - Advancing Ship Modeling through Research

SSL Secured

Your security is important for us so this Website is SSL-Secured

NRG Mailing Address

Nautical Research Guild
237 South Lincoln Street
Westmont IL, 60559-1917

About the NRG

If you enjoy building ship models that are historically accurate as well as beautiful, then The Nautical Research Guild (NRG) is just right for you.

The Guild is a non-profit educational organization whose mission is to “Advance Ship Modeling Through Research”. We provide support to our members in their efforts to raise the quality of their model ships.

The Nautical Research Guild has published our world-renowned quarterly magazine, The Nautical Research Journal, since 1955. The pages of the Journal are full of articles by accomplished ship modelers who show you how they create those exquisite details on their models, and by maritime historians who show you the correct details to build. The Journal is available in both print and digital editions. Go to the NRG web site (www.thenrg.org) to download a complimentary digital copy of the Journal. The NRG also publishes plan sets, books and compilations of back issues of the Journal and the former Ships in Scale and Model Ship Builder magazines.

Our Emblem

Modelshipworld - Advancing Ship Modeling through Research
  • Create New...