Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'HMB Endeavour'.
Found 2 results
This is my first build of a model wooden ship. I chose the Endeavour as it is part of our nations discovery, and plenty of others being built to see gather tips and trips for the build. I am using 2 pack epoxy glue(no nails) for all the timber to timber joining. From what I have seen, the build may take years, and just as well I have started now, plenty of time to finish in retirement - when it comes. Enough waffle, some pictures and see where this goes.
This is my second ship build, with the first being a Constructo Bluenose II. I made many errors on that build that I hope to learn from with this new build, although this new ship is a large step forward in complexity so I am looking forward to the challenges that it brings. I decided to go with the Constructo version of the HMB Endeavour. Before the site crash there were several build logs with this ship and it appeared to be one of the better kits. I am quite impressed with the quality of the materials provided currently, previous to this build I built the Bluenose II also from Constructo and some of the materials of that kit were less than desirable. It is also nice to note that even though I thought this ship was a single planked hull that according to the note contained with the kit that due to customer requests they have included a veneer second planking. Since I have never planked before as the Bluenose was a solid hull it will be good to have this option should I require it. I was pleasantly surprised that there appeared to be quite a large amount of instructions, there is a book containing a picture of every step of the build along with 5 full scale posters of every aspect of the ship for reference. The bulkheads came nice and straight (thankfully) so they provided very little issues getting the ship square. I used small pieces of leftover wood from the bulkhead punchouts to ensure that everything was held together nice and square for the next parts of deck laying. My first change for this kit was to create some lower decks so the grating in the decks actually went somewhere to give it a more realistic look. It required for me to cut out a few of the bulkheads to make room for the lower decks. This also gave me a chance to try out some decking ideas on decks that are less visible. I used a lumber crayon to blacken the sides of the deck planks to simulate the caulking. From there I used toothpicks to simulate the treenails and then after sanding I gave the deck a nice stain. I am happy with the results although I think the treenails are a bit too large for the scale used so I will use a smaller drill bit size for the main deck treenails (if I decide to do this). Once the lower decks were in it was time to glue on the top decks and start planking them. I decided to go with a 4 butt shift for my deck planking.