Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'Pride'.
Found 2 results
This is the start of my build log for the Model Shipways kit Pride Of Baltimore II. A little history before getting into the details. I finished my last kit, the Mamoli USS Constitution cross section right at the beginning of the year. After that ship, my first wood model, I wanted to do a complete, planked, hulled ship and the Pride of Baltimore fit the bill nicely. A larger scale than my previous efforts (1:64 vs 1:96), plank-on-bulkhead, but not quite as large or complex as a full wood Constitution or Syren. As I've mentioned before, I have a Syren waiting in the wings as my next build, so the Pride of Baltimore is a very nice transition model. For anyone who's followed my previous ships, I do slow, but hopefully steady work. I try to get a few hours in each weekend day and not let it sit for months at a time. So, I'll typically update the log late on a Sunday. The other thing I hope to accomplish with this log is getting answers to questions as I go along. I've not done a plank-on-bulkhead model before, and while I've read a bunch of logs on the site here, doing one myself will undoubtedly be a different experience. I'm already leery of planking, for example. (Which is probably not unique) Anyway, on to the build: First, the latest Model Shipways kit does NOT have the keel in 2 pieces - it's a single formed piece and mine was perfectly flat and true (Yay!) Here, I've cut the rabbett as best I could using a #11 blade and sandpaper: Next, the keel is attached in a few pieces: After that, the bulkheads were added. Now, my bulkheads were all too thick to fit in the slots - the bulkheads were 3/16" thick, and the slots were about 5/32" wide. So, I had to sand each bulkhead at the center so they would slid into the slots. I used clamps and Legos to get a square fitting, as well as measuring the distance between bulkheads once the center bulkhead was glued. This shows all the bulkheads glued in place. I also added some side supports for the mast slots. My next step is to fair (bevel) all the bulkheads. I did not do this prior to gluing (perhaps I should have?), so I expect this to be time consuming. Any advice on proper fairing techniques would be appreciated. Andy.
Hello this is my first post on the new forum. I had a build log for the Byzantium on the old forum. do to a recent move I have not got much work done since the old forum went down. To sum up what was lost when the old forum went down I printed out the line drawings with my dads vinyl sticker machine. I cut the formers from some scrap plywood with my bandsaw. I ripped the planks from an old fence board with my bandsaw. I glued the planks together on the formers. I fiber glassed the hull then sanded half of the hull. today I started work on the Byzantium again now both sides of the hull are sanded and the model is ready for Bondo, which is still at the other house so I wont have it until the 20th when the next load of stuff comes up from the other house. I don't have my computer hooked up to the internet yet so I only have the pictures that I took today but I will post the older pictures when I get it hooked up to the internet.