Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'convulsion'.
Hi All, This is my second build log on NRG Model Ship World. I have recently ordered the Caldercraft "Nelson Navy" HM Mortor Vessel Convulsion kit. I am still waiting for my delivery of the kit, but I am more than excitied to work on a decent kit with a well documented building process, unlike my ongoing build of HMS President by Sergal/Mantura. I have chosen Convulsion due to build and display space limitations.... I spent all of this weekend umm'ing and ahh'ing about the maximum size of a model, and eventually the "Boss" decided Convulsion was "big enough" for our 1 bedroom flat. Oh well, I'll just have to get a bigger flat for the next build!! As mentioned above, my build of HMS President is still ongoing, but I have been disheartend to a great degree over the lack of decent instruction for the teadious task of rigging. Currently, the Main Mast has all the shroads and running rigging in place, and all masts have the Fore-Aft standing rigging in place, but the prospect of running all the shroads, and ratlines on the fore and mizzen masts fills me with dread!! So, with this attitude in the back of my mind, as I slowly tackle President, I decided to give myself a decent break from her and work on something new. My initail thoughts for a new project were Granado, HM Yacht Chatam, or HMS Snake, but all were deemed too big by the Boss and so I gladly settled with Convulsion. Cheers, Jonny
I have finally plucked up the courage to post pictures of my 'Convulsion' which I have been working on since early in the year but took a break in the summer due to work, gardening and DIY. I have virtually finished the hull and deck fittings with only the anchors, pumps (which will be fitted post rigging, and bowsprit to complete. I would like to thank all those contributors to MSW both 1 & 2 who provided the inspiration for the hobby and also the tips & techniques to enable me to get as far as I have. My first problem was that the false keel was twisted but this was overcome by wetting the wood and clamping it to a solid piece of flat oak for a week to straighten it out. It took a while to be brave enough to properly fair the bulkheads but once planking was started the need was readily understood. Overall I was pleased with the planking but too much filler led to the decision to paint the hull white and then the rest of the wood with walnut paint. For the deck caulking I used a permanent marker on one edge of each plank, I think the effect is okay. The trickiest issue were the deadeyes and chainplates because I had got the wales too low. I will make my own chainplates and deadeye strops in future. Started off trying to paint the brass fittings but now use brass black again not a bad result but find most of the blackening comes off on my hands. I was too reliant on CA but more latterly have got to grips with pining and using titebond which provides much wore strength. Some of my work particularly at the start has been clumsy but the more I do the more I understand the value of reading other modeller's build logs. I wish I had drilled the holes for the deck rings earlier and taken more time to drill the hawser holes which are a bit of a mess. The biggest problem is working out how to take decent and focussed pictures - not sure they are that good but hopefully show her off so far. Tried as advised not to use a flash so the pitctures are a bit dark - as I wiork all day I can only take them at night and lighting in the shipyard is not the best for photography and is surrounded by dark furniture and the Admiral's shoes (I think she must be related to Imelda Marcos) Best tools I purchased are the dremel multi tool, and a magnifying light - even used it to thread the Admiral's needles this evening so a tick in the box for me. Happy to receive any constructive feedback. Glyn