Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'first wooden ship'.
Found 2 results
Where do I start? First, it’s great to find this forum and be able to obtain nearly instantaneous expertise and advice! Of course the first piece of sage advice was in essence, ‘... first time builders don’t start with HMS Victory!!’... and I fully understand that sound advice. But with your help and good Lord willing, I will succeed. I do plan to spend some time rooting around on this grand site to find pertinent information of which I’ve already found and am reading some. But thank you in advance for all the assistance/advice I’m sure to receive (and want!). That’s always better than ‘I knew that would happen!’ After the fact. Background: I’ve been an avid fan of the sailing/warships/Nelson’s navy of the late 18th and early 19th century for more than 40 years, having spent some time in Greenwich (UK) visiting the Maritime Museum (during a Nelson celebration actually) and having been able to visit the Victory in Portsmouth in the 1980’s. I’ve also toured the USS Constitution in Boston - as I’m sure many of you have as well. I purchased this kit (if memory serves) in the early 90’s and have been carrying it around with me for some time now. Having just retired from the workforce, I thought ‘Finally, now is the time!’. Well here goes. As I read in an earlier post, the model directions are a train wreck. I’ve read through the directions and have laid out the various reference items for easy reference. I don’t speak or read Italian so some of the information is difficult to interpret. The below picture is where we stand today having fitted the parts, but not glued anything but the keel (3) sections. I first found that the supporting horizontal beams did not readily fit into the slots. I then went through sanding/scraping the slots to ensure the beam would fit. Couple of observations: (1) The horizontal beams stick out beyond the first frame at the bow. I plan to cut off the ends to align with frame #1 (2) Looking from bow to stern, the various frame tops are not in a horizontal line. That is, starting with frame #10 (through 16) is the frame tops are progressively higher. The result will be the deck will not be horizontal. I’ve verified the frames are all seated correctly but wondering if those frame tops should all be at the same height. If so, I’ll need to remove and sand/adjust the tops accordingly. (3) An initial fit check of the deck closest to the stern (#27) seems to indicate an extremely tight fit... I take it I will need to adjust accordingly. (4) Anything I should know before I glue everything below after (1-3) above are covered? Finally, I’m wondering if the kit has simply ‘expanded’ over the years so that it will be ill fitting across the board.... or perhaps the kits are ill fitting to begin with? All for now; Thanks again for your help/assistance and I hope everyone has a great weekend!
As the master studies finally reach an end (have to bring in the thesis next week) and I will have more time for the numerous hobbies, I have taken up the work on the cutter Sherbourne again, which I bought 3 years ago as a reward for the finished bachelor studies. Now, after three years of ripening I started the kit. It is my first wooden model, and I thought Sherbourne might be a good start, as it is not too expensive. As I forgot to take some pictures of the earliest building steps, I will just show you the current progress. During the first planking of the hull, I built some of the equipment (anchor, gun carriages and the gratings), but I have to admit, that I don't really like those gun carriages. It will possibly happen, that I do them all over again from scratch, as soon as I made a little CAD-drawing. The sanded hull. There are some errors in the 1st planking, but I hope the 2nd planking + whitening the underwater hull will hide them sufficiently. A lot of glue marks on the stern... Will be hidden under red colour I hope. Some pre assembled equipment. As already mentioned, I dont like the gun carriages. Regarding the anchor, I decided to fair the stock on the ends, as found in "Historische Schiffsmodelle" by Mondfeld. So far. As this is a weekend project, I hope I can provide you with more photos of new progress every week. I am looking forward for tips, maybe some encouraging words for a newbie in wood. Most of my modelling experience is strongly limited to plastic/resin kits.