Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'hanse kogge'.
Earlier this year, I managed to acquire a relatively new kit produced by the Polish card model kit maker Shipyard. The kit is one of two that were released at least a year ago, maybe longer. Both kits represent medieval Cogs from the 1300s. Unlike other Shipyard kits I've worked on (yes, I only finished one paper ship model kit, but started a couple of them) which were paper kits and required cutting out pre-printed parts, this is a laser-cut card stock kit. Everything is already cut out in this type of kit, and the model requires painting. The kit I am building the kit listed by Shipyard as the Hanse Kogge - Bremen 1380. It is a 1/72 scale laser-cut kit based on the Bremen Cog. The completed model measures a little over 13" long and about 12.5" high. I decided to go ahead and take on this kit, though I have other projects, as the laser-cut design should make construction much simpler than the paper kits I've worked on. Ages of Sail, which is how I got my kit, sells this kit for about $125. There is a second Cog kit available called the Wütender Hund. It's a slightly bigger kit, maybe a little more complex, that sells for about $10 more. If you're interested in buying one, I'd really like to see other build logs! Here's a link to the kits on Ages of Sail: https://www.agesofsail.com/ecommerce/catalogsearch/result/index/?cat=72&q=Kogge So, taking a look at the contents of the kit... The laser-cut parts are in a cellophane envelope, individual carboard boxes keep things from knocking around in the main box and contain parts, paints, etc. The instructions make up a full-color booklet filled with photos. There's very little text, and what there is in multiple languages. Parts that aren't part of the laser cut sheets are provided in a couple cardboard boxes that include rigging line, laser-cut blocks and deadeye sets, paints, brushes, dowels, metal accessories, etc. The sail is pre-cut and pre-marked, but will need to be painted. There are several sheets of laser-cut card stock in various thicknesses and finishes. Some of the sheets have a glossy finish. Here are just some of the sheets. There are a couple sheets of plans included, which mostly cover rigging details. This looks like a very good kit and I'm pretty happy to be able to work on it. Next time, I'll post the start of construction. Clare
My second model. I´m staying with Dusek ( my third sometime in the future will also be a Dusek as I have already bought it) This time it is the Hanse Kogge. It is also rated as a "advance beginner" so it should suit me fine. It is a clinker built ship, it will be fun to try that building style so to speak. Looking through the kit everything looked fine. I started to build a few days ago and here is the first update. Note that this build will proceed fairly slowly as it is summer and other things will take precedence but I will try to update every now and then. There was one hitch. There was a discrepancy between the instructions and how the parts were numbered. No big deal as it was possible to figure out which bulkhead went where but still. For someone not paying attention or so it could spell trouble as the bulkheads could be put in the wrong slots. I emailed Daniel and described the problem, he replied immediately and said he would look into the problem. Great customer service. All parts have so far gone together without a hitch. What bothers me bit is that the keel parts do not meet up after sanding. There is a small gap which can be seen in the pictures. That will have to be filled with a small sliver of wood. Dryfitting the first plank. Fits perfectly. Second plank laying below. First I fit the plank to check if it fits ( of course) sanding if necessary. I then soak each piece in water, then "dry fit" the wet plank and fix it into place. After it has dried in place I loosen it and glue it in place permanently. Works well so far.