Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'ship in a bottle'.
Found 2 results
Started this kit about a year ago and took some photos, but didn't start my log. Life got busy and now I am back at the build and posting my log. Available from Seagifts Product Description (Copied from Seagifts) -- Wood model boat kit from Amati. All wooden parts are precut, for more accurate assembling, decks, and keel are photoetched, guns are metal casted. The kit includes: wooden hull, decks, masts, and skylights, glass bottle with wooden cap, cloth sails, and instruction booklet. Intermediate Skill Level: Boat Length: 4-1/4", Height: 3-1/2", Scale 1:300 Opening the box... First step is to number each layer of the hull. Then glue them together. Sanded the hull, then painted, then sanded some more. At this point, there is the hull and the quarter deck as two separate pieces.
Today I finished my Hannah Ship in a Bottle kit from Amati. I picked it up on a whim off of eBay for $20 a few years ago thinking it might be a fun little project. I spent a few weeks on it during my Badger build in the summer of 2012 to give me a mental break from that model, and then the model sat for the next two and a half years. I picked it up again this year, spending the last month or so finishing it as a break from my Pegasus build. I decided not to do a build log as I went along, as frankly, I was a bit worried that I'd screw up the project and have to scrap it due to my modifications - in particular putting sea in the bottle. So, rather than potentially embarrass myself, I decided that I would post one at the end if things turned out ok. The good news is that it all worked out in the end and so here is a summary log with pictures I took along the way. Introduction The kit is quite nice, with very nice photo etched parts, a nice bottle, and pretty good materials. The instructions are also pretty good. The folks from Amati are incredibly nice as well, as I somehow lost the keel part but they sent a new photo-etched set for free - thank you Amati! As you can see in the picture below, the kit is designed to have the ship sit in the bottle on a stand. I decided that was a bit plain, and made the following modifications: 1. I painted and stained the ship, rather than leave it in brass. 2. I replaced the kit sails, which were dyed to show seams, with plain cloth. I thought the seams, etc. on the kit sails were a bit out of scale and garish for my tastes. 3. I added "sea" to the bottle. Adding the sea really complicated the build, but I think it came out pretty nicely. The next few posts go into the construction process.