Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'xebec'.
Found 2 results
Introduction: One of the ship types that I`m interested in is the Chebec design. As a model I did`nt want to get it too complicated and too much detailed like for instance the build of the "Le Requin" Chebec would be. So the choise fell on a scratch build model after a basic Amati plan 1:60, that would be enlarged by 25% to scale 1:48, resulting in a new total length of 900 mm. To give the child / project a name, the ship will be "Eagle of Algier", and representing a (fictive) one one of those Mediteranian, North African fast trade- and pirate- Chebecs of the African Barbary coast around mid 18th century. It would have been "Falcon of Algier", if I were able to find a suitable falcon head for using as an appropriate figure head. The ships boat will be a 27 Ft longboat / pinnace after F.H. Chapmans Chart PIXLI figure #14 (Architectura Navalis Mercatoria), scaled to 1:48 With this build I´ll be experimenting with the stand up mode of keel and bulkheads, positioned by a jig fixture, from which the framework can easily be removed afterwards. Usualy I build my models in keel up position. Because the "frames" will become quite fragile, due to thin sizes, I choose 5,2 mm thick ply for the bulkheads, but with 8 layers, (the delivered ply had even 10 layers !) to provide the required strength. The bulkheads will be cut out to resemble frames, and the deck beams will be temporarily cut away in order to fit out the interior hull, then replacing the deck beams again afterwards. It is intended to do 1 layer planking of the hull outside shell only. Enjoy... Nils already enlarged Amati plan by 25% A building instruction with sequential pics, comes along in Italian / English with the plan little paint can for scaling... the name giving figure head (metal diecast) cutting out of the paper bulkheads for further treatment beginning the positioning gig for keel and bulkheads fixture progress... ships boat (may be subject to slight modification, to suit needs)
So I decided to start a small log of my progress on my Occre Xebec "Cazador". Mainly because there's no other log of any Xebec on MSW2. On the old MSW there where several, the log from Alexander Romaschenko has been a great help. Luckily Ilhan still had the pictures.... I'm not too happy with the quality of the Occre kit, I have the feeling it's not complete i'm missing quite some parts and as always there's not enough rope. I've thrown away quite some parts as well. All metal parts and plywood, precut parts. I've made the cannon carts and rigged them. Also i've put the cannons in Brass-black to make them look (they actually are) oxidized. I'm using pear and wallnut for remaking the plywood parts. I've started in 2009 and have been working on and off. I have 4 daughters so got my hands full from time to time 2010: So that's quite nice but not nice enough....... 2011: Current state: