Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

That are sails!!! A can not wait to see them on place!!!

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

I rebuilt the forecastle pin rails.  The rails were wide/deep to accomodate the size pins that matched what came with the original kit.  I felt like the pins were too large for the type of lines and the rails were too deep.

The starboard before

post-606-0-03764000-1440304081_thumb.jpg

I used alcohol to remove the rail

post-606-0-02353800-1440304051_thumb.jpg

The new

post-606-0-37802500-1440304101_thumb.jpg

And the port

post-606-0-88960800-1440304032_thumb.jpg

and the new

post-606-0-13595400-1440304021_thumb.jpg

The ladders were only used when in port.  I'm thinking one the jib lines are belayed to the pins with the coils belayed, I can't see how I can put the ladders in place.  We'll see

Thanks

Marc

Edited by keelhauled

You've certainly done a lot of research on her Marc, and found a myriad of discrepancies in the kit. I suspect other people that are doing the same kit will be referencing this build for years to come, and Mantua would do well to check it out and make changes. Your Cutty looks great.  :dancetl6:

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

very nice progress Marc.......I really like those sails.    I had no idea that there were aftermarket sails........I'll keep that in mind  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks for the feedback guys.  

I've been gone on travel.  But before I left last weekend, I did a dry fitting of some of the deck details and took photos.  I'm not planning on putting this stuff in place until I've done the rigging for that area.  i'm planning on rigging from the stem to stern one mast at a time.  I can't see how I would be able to belay the lines if the deck houses etc. were in place.  No access or room.

So here are some photos of the dry fit  

post-606-0-22688200-1440896688_thumb.jpg

post-606-0-27021200-1440896702_thumb.jpg

post-606-0-84504700-1440896732_thumb.jpg

post-606-0-63387900-1440896713_thumb.jpg

post-606-0-18934400-1440896774_thumb.jpg

Sure does look sweet with the deck furnishings in place Marc!  Bet you can't wait to get them attached permanently.  :dancetl6:

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Vert nice job. All on place, all in adequate color gammuth.

Don't travell - keep on working on Her! It is more interesting ;)

In progress:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

That looks great with all the deck fittings in place Marc. Interesting choice to leave them off until the rigging is in place - I'm sure that will work very well.

That looks great with all the deck fittings in place Marc. Interesting choice to leave them off until the rigging is in place - I'm sure that will work very well.

That has some reason. Deadeyes are placed, almost hiden, inside bulwarks, which makes very little space to aproach them during rigging. Space for rigging deadeyes is verry narrow even without deck houses etc. Mark Taylor gave me same advice :), and, as more I think about, it has more sense

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Wow, wonderful work, very nice details, beautiful craftsmanship. I wish my model would like similar to yours at least half of it  :D 

I like how the bilge pump looks like and also the cover for the hatches and etc....

Keep up the good work it is so good to follow your pics.

very.......very nice work Marc ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

George, Nenad, Grant, Popeye, and Jules,

Thanks for the kind words!  

It was neat to see all of the pieces coming together.  It was also very useful to find issues (ladders that obstruct blocks, etc) as well as how in the world will I be able to belay certain pins and rig dead eyes.  I know that lots of people have built this ship and have worked out the same issues.  Since I want to rig it with sails, I've had to add the belaying pins into the side rails and build the poop pin rails, as well as add numerous blocks, eyes etc.  Now it's trying to figure out how to rig it (I'm using Campbell's plans).  some  lines will have to go backwards I think, especially some of the lines that either originate or terminate on the masts spiders.  Right now I'm trying to make sure that I don't paint myself into corners. :D  :huh:  :o  :(

Hi Chap,

Some very nice progress indeed!!

Regarding your Deck Structures/Rigging, my experience here, get these attached first....

I would have had an awful time trying to mount/attach these after the fact.

My experience, put your various Blocks/Eye bolts in place on the Deck/Pin Rails, Mount Deck fittings, then Rig.

Dead Eyes "In Board" are a Bi--h!! But Lanyards are for these are relatively easy if you make a "Bodkin" with your rigging thread with a bit of CA and some tweezers to pull the thread through.

(My Stern  Bulwark Railings were also in place when I rigged mine, I sure wasn't going to remove them so had to Visualize the sequence/method.)

Last stuff that I put on the Decks/Skids, Boats. (Post the majority of Standing/Running Rigging.)

Don't rush!!

Cheers....HOF.

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

Thanks for the info HOP.  Definitely have to think the rigging approach out. I'll have to IM you about how you rigged your model when the time comes.  I'm planning on rigging stem to stern, and inside to outside. 

Hi Chap,

Yup, Rig "Aft and Up!!" (Unsure where I got that quote from....)

Inboard to Outboard worked for me also.

I approached things a little differently, I placed the Main Masts in place first and approached the Top and Top Gallant Masts as separate assemblies complete with Yards and associated Rigging. (I adopted this approach as the height of the Model on my Work Bench meant that I was at the limit that my little arms could comfortably reach. :) )

Masts and Yards were not glued, everything is held together by Standing/Running Rigging. This made things a little more interesting as the Yards were "Live." The upside of this was that I could fiddle and get the Yards in more or less the correct positions for a "Harbour" Rig.

Yours will be more interesting still with your Sails Bent to the Yards before your Yards are installed.

By all means, PM me on the subject when you get closer or just use this Forum as others may have a different approach to me and I am certainly no expert.... :)

BTW, Nice touch with your "Hermaphrodite" Masts/Spars on the Deck!!

Cheers....HOF. (Harry)

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice work!

I'm nowhere near starting the masts, having recently finished the deck fittings I've just begun trying to build the three boats that sit above the deckhouses....and  struggling to find a good way to attach the 0.5mm walnut strips to the assembled framework.  I'll post a few pics on my build log....

Chris B, aka Chef de Gare  :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Chris and Harry!

Been on the road, but I have made progress, just haven't posted.  In between trips back and forth to Europe, I've worked on bolt rope prototypes, chained the spare yards/masts to the deck, made and mounted bollards, built a cradle to hold the middle of the hull and remounted the ship onto it's final base and pillars.  I also did some other stuff.  I'll try to catch the posting back up with the build.

My wife has given me several gifts consisting of equipment, some I'm using now some will wait for Christmas.  One that is watiting for Christmas is the Byrnes Table Saw!

post-606-0-32203600-1443840009_thumb.jpg

It has every option except the tilting table!  I couldn't think of any real need for it that my disk sander couldn't handle.

I checked it over before putting it back into the box for Christmas.  I can't believe how quiet the motor is!  almost no vibration.  just amazing.  Every piece is machined/milled and finished like artwork.

Here are anchor chain pipes that I made from eyes for scrap booking and a wooden dowel.  I drilled the dowel from the bottom and side so that the chain can actually run through them.  I used two sizes of the eyes.

post-606-0-52411500-1443840339_thumb.jpg

Marc

Edited by keelhauled

Congrats Boyd!   :cheers:  I said exactly the same thing the first time I fired mine up. Quiet as a church-mouse.  You'll be needing slitting blades for it, and where I went was Thurston Mfg in Rhode Island. They carry every blade Jeff at Hobbymill used when he was open, and for only around $10 apiece.  I'm currently half-way there in saving for Proxxon's MF-70 Micro-Mill now, so on the 1st of November, I'll be the proud owner of that.  :P

Edited by GLakie

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Made bollards from those same eyes (used for scrap booking) that I used for the anchor chain pipes above.  

I drilled holes in a piece of brass an then epoxied the skinny side into the brass.  I then filled the tube full of epoxy all the way to the top.  After curing I painted the mees.

I used various sizes to make various sized bollards.  

Here are the tiny ones that go on the pin rails

post-606-0-54441200-1443975795_thumb.jpg

Edited by keelhauled

Nice touch, Marc. How small are ! Devils work on them. Keep on

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Thanks George and Nenad.  

I was sewing more bolt ropes last night.  Fighting sinus infection today!

George, thanks for the source for saw blades!

Marc

Edited by keelhauled

So I got a serving machine from Chuck!

Nice Cherry wood!

Before assembly

post-606-0-10360400-1444265405_thumb.jpg

after assembly

post-606-0-73783900-1444265418_thumb.jpg

I played around, but will need to practice to make the serving nice, but not so tight it compresses the line.

Nenad,

here is a problem.  To serve the bolt rope earrings or not?  As you say..maybe I'm sliding down the devil's road!  After the earrings are lashed there isn't much of it still exposed.  Also at any distance you can't really see the tan serving too well. Also, it will add considerable time for 28 or so sails. But...somtimes I do crazy things.  What do you think?  Anyone else want to weigh in?

post-606-0-52961900-1444265446_thumb.jpg

... To serve the bolt rope earrings or not?  ... 

I think - to serve. Even I do not know anything about rigging, particulary making sails, on a first sight I think that earrings will provide natural fall and position for parts attached to them, also to avoid balanced spreading of rope forces to the sail

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Thanks Nenad.  George I see your like.  So I take it that you think that I should serve the earrings.  

So I guess that I'm jumping on the crazy train and going down the devil's road!