Triton Cross Section By Bigcreekdad

I started this at the advice of several members after a failed attempt at my first POF build...The Hannah. So far, I think it was darned good advice. Hopefully, I'll complete it and will be pleased, and will then move on to another attempt at The Hannah.

I chose cherry for the keel assembly and the frames. Not sure about the rest. I've got a nice supply of Swiss pear and boxwood, as well as some ebony and bloodwood (which looks intriguing). Not to mention plenty of cherry left. Any thoughts or suggestions from others are welcome.

I'm posting today a pic of the keel assembly pieces, as well as completed frames 0 and 1.

Hopefully more to follow.

post-165-0-62953700-1426356307_thumb.jpg

post-165-0-83998000-1426356319_thumb.jpg

You're off to a fine start and a log is the best way to get help and advice.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 11 months later...

I have started, then scrapped my progress 4 times now. Lousy frame cutting, breaking frames, 3 tries coming up with an acceptable jig to get the frames to set at a good consistent 90 degrees.. 

I'm darn near ready to scrap it all again and start from scratch. Before this, I ended up scrapping a scratch build Hannah, and based on advice here, thought I'd give a cross section a try. I want to make another attempt at the Hannah someday, but I now realize fully well that if I can't master a cross section, I'm never going to be able to do a decent full scratch.

A few questions....I've been using cherry for the frames. I don't know if I just have had some bad pieces (bought at Woodcraft), but my frames seem to break easily. at the joints.  First question....is there another wood for the frames I might try. Second, I've not been tree nailing the frames where they overlap. Is this mandatory and would this cut down the breakage?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Could you post some pics of the breakages?  I'm sure you would get a lot of help if members could see the problems........are they clean breaks (glue not adhering or being totally squeezed out)?  We need to see the problem.  What type of glue are you using?  Treenails are not mandatory, but will surely strengthen the joints and this is recommended.

Jim

What are you doing when they break?   I've used cherry for framing and also boxwood and both will break if mis-handled..  delicate things they be.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

No. No. No...  not after they break. Bad words and blue air are a given.  :D  :D  :D  What were you doing when they broke?  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 2 weeks later...

Bit the bullet and rebuilt the broken frames. Required me to remove all frames from the keel, and thus build ,a new keel as well. All frames mounted, and added several spacers for holding proper spacing as well as added strength. All drying now. Will need to do some serious sanding to fare everything up.

In the meantime, need some suggestions for the inner planking and decking. I'm going to use pear from the outer framing. I have some holly, and plenty of cherry, but would love to hear some thoughts from others.

post-165-0-54260500-1457209149_thumb.jpg

Edited by bigcreekdad

• 2 weeks later...

Have faired and sanded inside and out. The photo suggests otherwise in places, but all ribs are pretty even on both sides. Still a minor amount to do, but I'm starting to cut the inner plants and flooring. Was going to do most of the inner in cherry, but I'm still having breakage problems. I've broken enough in this hobby to know these breaks are not from undue handling. Bought the cherry at Woodcraft. Might just have to buy from the suppliers others use on this sight.

Decided to use walnut instead for at least the inner planking closest to the keel. BTW, the two pieces you see are not attached.

Any way...Onward!!

post-165-0-46482600-1457992209_thumb.jpg

Edited by bigcreekdad

I was intending to use cherry for the inner planking, but yet another piece of cherry broke as I was feeding a piece into my Byrnes thickness sander. I'm convinced I picked up some bad cherry at Woodcraft. So, I decided to use walnut (also from Woodcraft). No problems with this, and layed 4 pieces. Wow...do I love the contrast of the walnut and the cherry!

What do you think? 

post-165-0-07445700-1458325358_thumb.jpg

I have bought wood from Rockler. When I called about bad pieces they replaced them at no charge. woodcraft might do the same.

Richard

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

bigcreekdad

I use gun oil on my models. I have been using Woodstock Gun Oil. Don't think I can get anymore. It darkens the wood a little and brings out the grain, Also if you use several coats it leaves a bright finish but it can be buffed if you don't like the shine.

Mark

Current build               Dom Fernando II E Gloria  crossection 

Finished boats               Portuguese Caravel     Artenaval

Yacht Mary                 Mamoli

Mayflower                  M.S.

H.M.S. Unicorn           Corel

Whaleboat                 Marine Model Co.

Swift                         A.L.

America (solid hull)      Marine Model Co.

Albatros                     Mantua

U.S.S. Constitution      Revell

Spanish Galleon           Revell

Mark,

Isn't Woodstock Gun Oil the same as boiled linseed oil?   I know we used to use linseed oil back the old days in the Marines for our wooden stocks. The description sounds like it.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Here's a link that might help as the blade is dependent on wood thickness.   Also if you do a search on Hobbymill and Byrnes (both terms) there a fair number of links with tips.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/1408-jeff-hayes-hobbymill-tips-on-milling-wood-link/?hl=%2Bhobbymill+%2Bbyrnes

Edited by mtaylor

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Myself, I kinda like the contrast and color variation. Bet when they were building the original they didn't throw any lumber away because of the color variation.  With that said, if it bothers you replace it, if it pleased you keep it. Your build your choice, do what makes you satisfied. 

Triton Cross Section 1:32

SEE YA LATER

im-outta-here-bye-bye-smiley-emoticon.gi

I go along with what Pete said.   Wood is wood and the color will vary even across the same piece.  Run some sandpaper across that area (if you haven't already) and see if the color changes a bit.  As wood ages with light and air flow, the color can change because of that.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 2 weeks later...

A bit more progress. This is the fun part. You can see that I needed a cheater piece. One rib out of whack, but replacing it is out of the question at this point. All will be covered anyway. Next time try I try one of these or, good God!, a full build I will have to be more of a perfectionist with the ribs.

post-165-0-18003000-1459962205_thumb.jpg