US Brig Niagara by xken - FINISHED - Model Shipways - Scale 1/64

Beautiful !! Stunning !! Crisp !!

:cheers:

Ken. It's been a joy watching your Niagara come together. You can count me in for your Constitution build, already !!

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Congratulations on finishing a truly fine model Ken. You can be justifiably very proud of her!

I echo the above sentiments Ken.  You have done a wonderful job.  Your model of the Niagara is first rate.  You have done her justice.

David B

Hi Ken,

My congratulations as well...you have built a stunning model that I hope you enjoy for many years to come.

Thank you for all the shared building tips and I am already looking forward to your Constitution build!

Cheers,

Nigel.

Edited by UpstateNY

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

:10_1_10:   Congratulations !!!

I wanted to let you know that I have been looking forward to your updated build log on a regular basis for quite some time.  Everytime I opened it, I found it not only informative but laid out in terms for the simple layman that I am.  It influenced me so much that It coerced me into selecting and purchasing my own Model Shipways Niagara a while back.  The choice at that time was the Niagara or the Brig Syren.  You made my selection seem more approachable and less intimidating to the intermediary beginner. I find that working on my build(s) to be both enjoyable and therapeutic for my condition. It is sad to see it come to an end, but I look forward to your tackling of the U.S.S. Constitution next.  Please don't make it seem so easy, for I fear I will try convince myself that I too, am up to the task (LOL)...

With best wishes and congratulations, 

Aves Puryear

Spectacular job Ken, and congratulations on finishing.  I would never believe this was anyone's "first build" if I hadn't followed you along from the beginning, you've done a great job, and I've learned a fair amount of interesting things from your log.

You finished in record time too, almost half the time it took me for the much simpler AVS.  Just amazing.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with the Constitution!

Ken, Impressive build!! Thanks for providing such a great build log. 

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

I wish to thank all of you for your help, kind words and encouraging compliments! I have moved on to building the USS Constitution having learned many lessons on ship building with this my first build. I still have a great deal to learn and add to the skills I already have and use.

Ken

Current build: Maersk Detroit"
Future builds:  Mamoli HMS Victory 1:90
Completed builds: US Brig Niagara, Dirty Dozen, USS Constitution, 18th Century Armed Longboat
https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/11935-uss-constitution-by-xken-model-shipways-scale-1768/

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I know you finished this a while ago, but I've been away.  I am planning to get back to my Niagara in the hopefully near future and I'm ready to start the rigging.  Your work is amazing and will be immensely helpful and inspiring to me.  Thank you for sharing and the great photography too!

Dave Barnard

Dave Barnard

Current build: HMS Speedy (Vanguard Models)

On hold: Niagara (Model Shipways), Constitution (Mamoli)

Completed:

Marseille (Mamoli)

Duke William (Kammerlander)

Halifax (Lauck Street Shipyard)

• 5 years later...

After years of dust and battle damage she was put up in dry dock; cleaned layers of dust and battle damage repaired due to young growing girls. Then a brass plague added, new base to index a custom built glass case she now resides for years to come completely protected. The granddaughters now truly appreciate the work involved in building models having grown up watching me build various model subjects. In fact the younger one now builds Star Wars spaceships with LEGO blocks that are quite intricate.

Fair winds and following seas in her new home!

AF435DBA-2D84-4385-8317-B06FADCB604F.jpeg

6159F8EA-CA6F-4A58-909C-ADC59CBA8474.jpeg

4267AC38-AFF2-40F2-B0AB-D1F397C387FF.jpeg

Ken

Completed builds: US Brig Niagara, Dirty Dozen, USS Constitution, 18th Century Armed Longboat
https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/11935-uss-constitution-by-xken-model-shipways-scale-1768/

• 5 months later...

The Niagara now has a much steadier and lower base to rest upon. My daughter found this in her travels and immediately bought it. Now people can now look down at the deck details which was not possible before. Perhaps the Detroit will be displayed above it whenever I get back to it. ModelExpo has been keeping me designing various model kits for them.

6CADB5C3-FDD1-49F6-8100-0D6CA6E36119.jpeg

Ken

Kits that I have designed to date are: Mountain Buckboard; Allerton Steam Pumper; Ladder Wagon; Hearse; Armed Longboat; USS Constitution Cross Section; Jail Wagon; Fokker EIV; Oberusel 14 Cylinder Rotary Engine; Wolsey Eight Cylinder “Viper” Engine; SE5a British Fighter; Beer Wagon; Horse Harness (pulling); Horse Hitches for Wagons- 1 Horse; 2 Horse; 4 Horse. They said that they have plenty more in the lineup; I will be 76 next month so who knows how many more. The BeerWagon and some others are at the Nuremberg International Toy Fair, Germany.   

Life is good.....I get paid to do my hobby what more can one ask for.

Amongst all of this I did these personal projects: the Niagara; USS Constitution; Maersk Detroit (WIP); Dirty Dozen; and 1961 Showboat a pet project. A couple of stained glass windows for local church.

Here are just a sampling of them.

A904C709-FEEE-4D9D-A917-D88AE40946E2.jpeg

805CB702-C73E-4A80-B1CB-759393FCA89B.jpeg

055CC76B-C414-47D8-94C4-2D21B1280832.jpeg

81C0F04E-761A-4522-B247-E256925A912B.jpeg

2C4BED19-C194-4568-968E-94E431CD5CDF.jpeg

7E908088-4A46-4334-8452-52CBBF9A5FCD.jpeg

C4C605D9-715B-4B78-A802-05D1581EFD71.jpeg

AF43E771-D9B7-4DE4-8B1C-6F5BE08181F5.jpeg

574F687B-D543-4DB1-8107-BA74723BFC87.jpeg

9625B3B1-1EF5-4CFB-A7B4-0B745329E31D.jpeg

5B3146D3-14A7-470F-9839-13947047A5F3.jpeg

AC910341-1A2A-4D5F-87FA-73926562787A.jpeg

120F328D-C1ED-4C13-99EF-BC4C01AE94DB.jpeg

134B1A3D-B300-4723-B27F-BEF04AC07151.jpeg

4D3AD6E1-453B-4D0D-8C90-10FE3361A217.jpeg

CEA12610-A4B5-42D6-880D-A3F34088B283.jpeg

Edited by xken

Ken