Wall paper glue

Hello

Have anyone used wallpaper glue (non woven paper) for forming sails? Tried it yesterday and it seems to work after a first look. Question is if this can hold for longer time? 

Jörgen

Current:  Sherbourne - Caldercraft 1/64

Vasa - DeAgostini 1/65
Finished: Endeavour - Americas Cup J class 1934 - Amati 1/80

Other:    Airplanes and Tanks

I am curious to know more about this technique but I am a bit confused about the material you are using. In the United States we have wallpaper paste that binds the paper to the wall, but its a water based starchy glue, not a substance that could be formed into the thin shapes of sails. You say you have a Non Woven Paper, this sounds like something halfway between a glue and a paper?

Niagara USS Constitution 

Sorry, I think my description was unclear. I use normal cloth and then dip it in this paste solution as you mention. Then leave it for drying. When applying this non woven wallpaper you just "paint the wall" with this glue and then add the wallpaper directly to the wall. It was this glue I used.

Edited by Jörgen

Jörgen

Vasa - DeAgostini 1/65

The "glue" you are using may be a PVA (white glue) based. I think the wall paper you are referencing may be what we would call "vinyl wallpaper".  Most true paper is non woven but some are woven such as papyrus.

Edited by Jaxboat

Yes, it is probably like you say Jaxboat. The glue is indeed white but feels quite different to PVA. The question is if this is a solution that can work for keeping the form of sails or it will be bad in the long term.

Jörgen

Vasa - DeAgostini 1/65

Hard to say without knowing the chemistry of the glue. I world contact the manufacturer and ask for a Material safety data sheet (MSDS). This document details the chemistry of materials and safety hazards, Maybe one first step is just to ask the manufacture what general kind of polymer he is using.  This glue maybe a PVA with modifiers to make it easier to apply to a wall without drips. Such a modifier would change the "feel" of the polymer. If the chemistry is PVA or Acrylic I would say it should be ok. Another slower way to determine suitably is to coat fabric as you would for your sails and stick it on the most sunny window sill in your house and see what happens. Does it yellow, does your sail become "brittle" etc. One year should be enough.

Best

Jaxboat B)

As noted above, the wallpaper paste that my parents used was starchy, it was just wheat flower and water. Have you thought about some hair sprays, I don't nor my wife use the stuff but I think it does for hair what you want to do with your sails.

jud

Different builder use different substances for this.  Such as: starch, hairspray, matt finish paint, and white glue (dries clear) mixed with water.  Test and figure out what works for you including the shaping method. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks for all inputs:) Hairspray sounds interesting. Should be quite easy to apply and form I think. Do you use it after the sails are installed or before?

Jörgen

Vasa - DeAgostini 1/65

Thanks for all inputs:) Hairspray sounds interesting. Should be quite easy to apply and form I think. Do you use it after the sails are installed or before?

Do the spraying and shaping before.  Otherwise you'll end up with overspray where you don't want it.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Glue for 'paper' wall-paper is normally based on methyl cellulose (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methyl_cellulose). Commercial formulations have fungicides added to prevent degradation. If you are really concerned about longevity, you might also look into bookbinders-glue.

A problem with wall-paper glue could be that it is somewhat hygroscopic and will swell at high humidity. However, as high-humidity may cause other problems with a model, the may be a minor concern.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

In the for what it's worth department, archival tape for mounting artwork is linen tape with a wheat-based adhesive, activated by moisture.  Think of an envelope or old stamps before they went to peel and stick with postage.

One thing that might work is dilute artist's acrylic medium.  It shouldn't discolor or cause degradation down the line.

Hi Jorgen,

Formation of a sail I do BEFORE installation it on model.

At first I moisten it with water and by means of the hot iron I try to give it the correct form. It is usually necessary to repeat it several times.

Only after that I use the hairspray for fixing of the form of the sail. The sail has to be dry in this time.

Best Regards!

Igor.