HMS Bounty by thomaslambo - Artesania Latina – Scale 1:48

Wow, such high praise I so much appreciate  :)

Thanks to Robert, Steve, Tom, GG, Harry, Antony, Bob, and Matt for all your very kind words and taking the time to continue to follow my build log.

And thanks to everyone else that hit the like button  :)

These kind of comments keep us builders motivated to continue on...and I must say this particular work on the main deck tried my patience to it's limits  :)

Steve and Matt, you guys and your mind boggling detail continue to inspire me  :)

Capt.Fisher, glad to see you joining my log as your work on the AL Bounty  helped motivate me to build this kit...and I wondered why you stopped posting to your very impressive log  :)

Lawrence - I'm always happy to have a new ship mate...welcome aboard :)

Cheers to everyone and thanks again for the encouragement    :cheers:

Edited by thomaslambo

Boyd 

Current Build - HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina - Scale1:48

Boyd, I wish I could join the others in praise of your work, but alas I feel its not up to par.  Under careful scrutiny and intense magnification I have noticed that one of the trenails on the 5th plank to port is about .25mm out of alignment.  I'm not suggesting you rip out the plank, but just that in the future you take a bit more care.  Its a shame that such an otherwise masterful job should be spoiled by careless inattention to detail.  I'm looking forward to better things to come and I know you will rise to the occasion.

For those who haven't gotten it yet, my tongue is still stuck in my cheek.  Boyd, my buddy, as I noted in private, you've taken your rightful place among the masters.  I can't wait to watch you plank the hull.  You'll undoubtedly make drop planks and spoilers into works of art.

• 5 months later...

Boyd

This is a lovely build and I love your attention to detail and quality of work.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Hi Keith,

Thanks for reciprocating and taking the time to look at my log....your kind words are much appreciated  :)

I guess I should do a quick update in case someone thinks I abandoned the build   :D   

I've been working on the hull planking for the last 5 months...without question this is some of the most difficult wood work I've ever attempted.  

Hopefully I'll complete the planking before the end of 2016 (yes, it will take that long)    :)  

Edited by thomaslambo

Boyd 

I can imagine the beauty now. Looking forward to seeing soon.

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Thanks much Rowan....kind words of encouragement are always appreciated  :)

Hi Matt, thanks for keeping an eye on the build...I'm giving it my best  :)

And thanks to everyone that hit the like button  :)

Edited by thomaslambo

Boyd 

• 2 weeks later...

Yup,

Hit the "Like" button too!!

Like everyone else, would like to see the Planking progress and the precision that you have so masterfully executed thus far.

(No stress though :))

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

• 4 months later...

I have what I am sure is a really really stupid question: why is the kit's lower deck only 2/3 width? Is that purely to let more light down to the level/rooms below or something?

Also, where oh where can I get a couple of those nice heavy steel right angles you have? No, seriously! :)

Edited by Sunsanvil

• 4 weeks later...

I have what I am sure is a really really stupid question: why is the kit's lower deck only 2/3 width? Is that purely to let more light down to the level/rooms below or something?

Also, where oh where can I get a couple of those nice heavy steel right angles you have? No, seriously! :)

My apologies for missing your comments on my build log.  I've been distracted from this forum as a result of a few projects around the house, as well as our home business demands.

I really appreciate your kind words about my build, and I'm really not sure about your lower deck question. 

Here is a link to the steel angle plates (one of my favorite tools to ensure accurate/squared joints).  Link http://www.micromark.com/angle-plates-1-inch-and-2-inch-and-3-inch-set-of-3,7183.html

Also, I'll fail to complete the planking by the end of the year, so I'll try and post a few pictures of the progress as soon as possible....and thanks again to everyone for the continued interest in my build :)   

Boyd 

Hi Boyd,

Merry Christmas, Happy Guy Fakes!!

Good to catch up and nice to see your "Post."

Yup, we have a vested interest in your "Precision" build.

My two cents worth. :)

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

• 2 months later...

Hi Boyd,

I hope you are able to pick up your build again. This build log has been a major influence in me deciding to take on this same kit. Your detail work and kit bashing is phenomenal. Truly impressive. I am attempting a little bashing of my own, but it is nowhere near your standard. Pop over and have a look at my log if you get a chance :)

All the best, Paul.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys,

A quick update...the Bounty has been in careful storage for some time now.

In the meantime, I've been working on a Garden Railroad project in my backyard (it's all Captain Al,s fault :D).....and needless to say it's taken much longer than I thought it would. 

Assuming I can get all the track installed by the end if the year.....I hope to get back to the Bounty build early in 2018.  The planking is about 2/3 done and I'm very happy with the result so far. 

I'll make another post early in the new year...one way or the other. 

Dave,

It's a fine model and I'm happy with the AL kit.

FYI - I'm applying two 1 mm layer of planks on the hull because of the wide spacing of the frames (needs more support for the level of quality I'm after - exactly like my main deck). 

I just changed out some of the building materials as noted in my log.  I'm using Boxwood for the hull planks...about 40% of them are cut from sheets to accomplish the correct lateral bends needed in the bow and stern....this is what held me up for soooo long :D

Cheers :cheers: 

Edited by thomaslambo

Boyd