HMS Bounty by thomaslambo - Artesania Latina – Scale 1:48

Hello Boyd, just saw your build log and let me tell you... I'm amazed with the quality of your work!! :)  I'm pulling a chair if you don't mind!! :) :)

Kind regards

Dimitris

Current Build: Amerigo Vespucci -Mantua- 1:100 scale

Completed Build logs: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Gallery: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Future Build: Royal Caroline -Panart- 1:47 scale

Hello Boyd, just saw your build log and let me tell you... I'm amazed with the quality of your work!! :)  I'm pulling a chair if you don't mind!! :) :)

Kind regards

Dimitris

Hi Dimitris,

Thanks for coming aboard and the kind words....your company is much appreciated.

You have quite a beautiful build going yourself....I'm amazed at how much you've accomplished in just five months  :)

Regards, 

Boyd 

Boyd 

Current Build - HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina - Scale1:48

• 2 weeks later...

I’m going to report my latest progress with two posts (First; narratives on the detail work I did with a few supporting pictures, and second; another very short narrative with several pictures of the end results).

Part one - Lower deck detailing 

I finished up most of the details on the lower decks (basically steps 1 – 11 in the instruction manual....and the additions/modifications I planned to do.

Cabin Door Grid Windows - I decided to add grid type windows to the cabin doors for a touch more detail. I cut the windows from 1mm  thick maple sheet.  Very delicate process, I broke 3 windows while building 5. 

Finish Boatswain’s Store Room - I completed what I call the Boatswain’s Store Room (added two walls to close off the room in the Bow area).

Build Ladders - I needed to build the short ladders used on the lower decks to be able to design and build my balustrade and railing system (the ladder assembly would normally be addressed in step 19 of the instruction manual).  While I was at it I went ahead and installed the lower Bow hold ladder.

Balustrade and Railing - I completed the design and construction, as well as a dry fit on the middle and lower decks.  I spent some time to decide what type of design I liked.  Basically I came up with four options; 1) brass hooks and thread – AL kit, 2) wood rails with netting, 3) brass stanchions with brass wire rails, and 4) wood rails with wood balustrades).  I ended up using option 4 and spent considerable time to design and build the system. 

As a byproduct of the above design activity, I came up with another idea to add further detail to the model.  Option 2 (wood rails with netting) will be used for a storage system inside the hold areas.…kind of like a racking system using nets, rails and ropes to hold assorted barrels, boxes, sacks, supplies, etc.   

Veneer Edging - I also added veneer edges to the lower and middle false decks to cover the ply edges (cut from the .5mm x 5mm basswood strips included in the kit).  In addition, I lined the inside edges of the three port side middle frames with .5mm x 6mm walnut strips (not included in the kit).  I’ll use this same material to cover all the frames exposed on the starboard viewing side as well. My intent is to rid the model of most of the exposed ply edges to give it a more finished look. 

Floor Molding - I also added additional floor molding under the door frames and a couple other areas.

Furniture Addition - And the last touch of detail was to add a table and chairs to the Stern middle cabin/pub.  The plastic furniture was purchased on line and then painted with a mix of colors to simulate wood.

Here are some pictures of the detail work (pictures of the finished work will be include d in the next post)....

post-17392-0-18478700-1430760689_thumb.jpg

Cutting out the the windows from 1mm maple sheet

post-17392-0-72723400-1430760723_thumb.jpg

Close to complete....little more sanding and then the stain

post-17392-0-36883500-1430761237_thumb.jpg

Installed grid windows

post-17392-0-03702500-1430760814_thumb.jpg

Needed a touch of filing on the keel to fit the ladder

post-17392-0-45696500-1430760993_thumb.jpg

Installed ladder

post-17392-0-50774000-1430761066_thumb.jpg

View from the top....also note upper right hand corner of the pic is one of the Boatswain's Room wall additions

post-17392-0-62681300-1430761311_thumb.jpg

Material options for ladder railings

post-17392-0-68071000-1430761416_thumb.jpg

Drilling the holes for the balusters

post-17392-0-99935800-1430761489_thumb.jpg

Finished balustrade and railings parts for Bow ladder/stair (lower and middle deck)

Edited by thomaslambo

Boyd 

Part two - Middle deck planking and installation (basically step 12 in the instructions).

Deck Alignment - First off, prior to installing the middle decks I needed to spend some time aligning the masts, bilge pipes and support beams (also using the main deck).  This required some careful sanding and fitting.

Modify Ladder Opening - I had to move the stern ladder opening two planks toward the starboard side to accommodate the lower stern cabin additions (required minor mods to both middle deck pieces).

Planking Decks - I used the same technique described in my lower deck planking (exception being I refined the nail pattern – using a pencil instead of a marker pen (a bit too dark IMO) and only simulated nails at the butt joints).

Install middle decks – this was fairly straight forward after dry fitting and doing a bit of sanding and trimming at the frame joints.  I did rough sand the decks and cross beams where they join together for better glue adhesion.   Then I just clamped and weighted down the decks while the PVA glue dried.

Install Bow and Stern Ladders – simple and straight forward as they had already been fitted.

Install the Bow Balustrades – again, straight forward as they had already been fitted.

Note; I delayed installing the lower and middle deck mast rings until I actually install/glue the masts in place.  

Here are pictures of the finished details….

post-17392-0-23764200-1430762540_thumb.jpg

Aligning the decks with masts, bilge pipes, etc prior to gluing up the middle decks

post-17392-0-72567600-1430762620_thumb.jpg

Top view of middle deck planking

post-17392-0-50932800-1430762670_thumb.jpg

Full front view, note the veneer edging on the false decks on both lower and middle decks to cover the ply edge 

post-17392-0-84098800-1430762733_thumb.jpg

Bow additions with ladder/stairs, note I left off the veneer edge on the right most frame (middle deck) to show the difference between ply and finished edging 

post-17392-0-57111900-1430762786_thumb.jpg

Lower deck Balustrades installed, note the Boatswain's Storage Room wall additions on the right

post-17392-0-12314800-1430762945_thumb.jpg

Railings will be added once the middle deck balustrades are installed.

post-17392-0-57765500-1430763046_thumb.jpg 

Stern additions with furniture.  Ladder/stairs will also have balustrades and railings installed 

Edited by thomaslambo

Boyd 

nice work Boyd,

I like those ballustrades and the furniture....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

nice work Boyd,

I like those ballustrades and the furniture....

Nils

Nils,

Thanks so much....I got plenty of inspiration from your build  :)

Once I install the middle deck balustrades I'll glue in the railings for the finishing touch....and also plan on building several pieces of furniture for the middle deck Captains Dining Cabin and Galley  :)  

Boyd 

Thanks Boyd,

BTW, are you planing to install all those Tables and racks for the breadfruit plants ?

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

Thanks Boyd,

BTW, are you planing to install all those Tables and racks for the breadfruit plants ?

Nils

Nils,

I was planning on it, but the green house will be slightly reduced in size as a result of other modifications.  I've been looking for material to build the adolescent trees with.  

Why do you ask?

Also, any suggestions on materials for the trees?

Edited by thomaslambo

Boyd 

Shame on you for using plastic furniture!  Just kidding.  Magnificent work all around.  You are taking an already detailed kit and making it into a museum piece.  I really wish I'd watched your build before starting mine; so many great ideas and your execution is great.  I'm very impressed as to how you aligned your top deck.  Harking back to mine so many months ago I recall the difficulty and frustrations in this particular step.  I don't think you need much advice from me, but here's a tidbit I'll throw your way from my experience -- you will later be placing stanchions and Samson posts in the little rebate holes along the edge of the deck.  Before you put the deck down permanently, make sure the holes are big enough to accommodate the 3x5mm stanchions and 5x5 mm Samson posts.  Mine were not and it was a real chore to enlarge them.  It would have been simple if I'd checked this before gluing down the deck.

Keep on posting Boyd -- it won't be long til you've caught up with me.  But then again, you have the planking coming up soon.

Nils,

I was planning on it, but the green house will be slightly reduced in size as a result of other modifications.  I've been looking for material to build the adolescent trees with.  

Why do you ask?

Boyd,

I saw fitting out of Bounty models (with partial open hull) also showing those breadfruit trees, which took quite some place on board and narrowing the  remaining spaxce for the crew. I found it amazing that this detail was taken care of. Sorry but I ca`nt tell what material the trees were made of, or if the trees have been foreseen with the kit....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

This is what I use and you can find it in businesses of scale trains,it is very good material and they come in different colors,the brand is Woodland Scenics

post-4167-0-77837900-1430844690.jpg

post-4167-0-00600400-1430845189.jpg

Edited by Captain Poison

Completed.... Charles W. Morgan,Sea Horse,USS Constitution,Virginia 1819,San Fransisco II, AL HMS Bounty 1:48

L'Herminione 1:96

Spanish Frigate,22 cannons 18th C. 1:35 scale.Scratch-built (Hull only)

Cutter Cheefull 1806 1:48 (with modifications)

Current Project: Orca (This is a 35" replica of the Orca boat from the movie Jaws)

Captain Al,

Thanks so much for stopping in and the kind words....I really appreciate your support :)    

And thanks for the heads up on the main deck alignment.  I've already spent some time with the main deck (made a full size template with the planking pattern I'll follow) so I'll carefully check the hole sizing as you recommend.

And stay tuned for the modifications on the middle deck which will be considerable...and I'll actually build some furniture myself LOL  :cheers:  

Boyd 

Nils,

Why do you ask?

Boyd,

I saw fitting out of Bounty models (with partial open hull) also showing those breadfruit trees, which took quite some place on board and narrowing the  remaining spaxce for the crew. I found it amazing that this detail was taken care of. Sorry but I ca`nt tell what material the trees were made of, or if the trees have been foreseen with the kit....

Nils

Yes, they really did a number on the Bethia to convert it for the Bounty's purpose....taking out considerable rooms for the crew to accommodate the tree plants.  

Check out these pictures....one of the things I'm wrestling with is the scale of the racks and pots (in the kit) let alone the size and look of the trees. 

Two pictures are worth a 1000 words  :)

post-17392-0-90776200-1430847141_thumb.jpg

Converted Green House

post-17392-0-10119900-1430847200.jpg

3 month old bread fruit tree which is supposed to be what they transported....pic came from Captain Al's build log  

Boyd 

This is what I use and you can find it in businesses of scale trains,it is very good material and they come in different colors,the brand is Woodland Scenics

Thanks much, I've used their products on my Railroads in the past...definitely a great place to start looking.

I'll be heading to one of my favorite hobby shops in the next week or so to look over their inventory  :)

Edited by thomaslambo

Boyd 

Really nice work, Boyd ...

I can't wait to see how your bread-fruit nursery turns out ..

Have you considered thin cardboard or thick paper for your leaves ??

For matured fruit on my Bounty Launch build, I went with small pieces of Sculpey baking clay.

(External skin dimpling was made by rolling the unbaked clay around on a bed of toothpick tips)

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Thanks much

Really nice work, Boyd ...

I can't wait to see how your bread-fruit nursery turns out ..

Have you considered thin cardboard or thick paper for your leaves ??

For matured fruit on my Bounty Launch build, I went with small pieces of Sculpey baking clay.

(External skin dimpling was made by rolling the unbaked clay around on a bed of toothpick tips)

CaptainSteve,

Thanks much for the encouragement my friend  :cheers:

I'm going to start doing prototypes on different plant ideas and see what I come up with (some bird just whispered in my ear to try Sushi plastic garnishment greenery - nice)  :)

Also, using my new scale ruler (compliments of Matt's build log) I discovered the pots included in the kit are larger than the pots used on the Bounty.

According to the Anatomy the real pots were 6 and 8 inch dia. along with some tubs and boxes (approx total pots was about 774). The pots in the kit are 12 inch scale.  I'll probably stay with them because it'll be easier to make the plants and see the display with larger pots. Only detail freaks like us will ever know the difference  :)

However, I may put twice as many pots as the kit provides....and I've also got some other ideas that will raise the bar in the Green House  :)  

Edited by thomaslambo

Boyd 

Wow Boyd, everything looks absolutely awesome! I see the force is strong with you! I really like that you're covering all the ply edges, it makes the structure appear very solid. I do like the idea of using netting and am looking forward to seeing your secret garden greenhouse.

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Wow Boyd, everything looks absolutely awesome! I see the force is strong with you! I really like that you're covering all the ply edges, it makes the structure appear very solid. I do like the idea of using netting and am looking forward to seeing your secret garden greenhouse.

Boyd 

Morning Boyd,

I thought I'd jump into the breadfruit discussion...as you've seen on my log, I left the pots empty.  I wish I hadn't but I was really in the midst of much larger problems to solve at that point.  And my rationalization for my laziness I still think is somewhat solid:  my Bounty model shows the ship on its outbound journey, prior to landing in Tahiti and obtaining the fruit plants.  Can anyone argue with that?

Morning Boyd,

I thought I'd jump into the breadfruit discussion...as you've seen on my log, I left the pots empty.  I wish I hadn't but I was really in the midst of much larger problems to solve at that point.  And my rationalization for my laziness I still think is somewhat solid:  my Bounty model shows the ship on its outbound journey, prior to landing in Tahiti and obtaining the fruit plants.  Can anyone argue with that?

Outstanding recovery and well said...LOL   :dancetl6: 

Boyd 

• 5 weeks later...

Whats up with you Boyd?  Lazy or just busy?  I found LADons log in which you posted several comments and got to wondering where you were on your build.  I'm determined to get back to the bench today.  I've been off for sometime dealing with issues.  I can't decide whether to begin work on the bowsprit or start on the launch.  Launch would be easier from the standpoint of understanding the plans and doing things I've already done elsewhere.  But the bowsprit is really next in line.  Thank you for your remarks in LAD's re. my "tips".  I never really think that I am tipping others off to a good thing; just making commentary on how I managed to get through a tough situation.

Hi Al,

Thanks for stopping in and your welcome….I also appreciate you letting me know how you’re doing  :)  

Actually, I’ve been very busy with the Bounty trying to complete the first phase of the middle deck.  I’ve probably spent over 150 hours on this phase alone and I’m only just now getting ready to start gluing up the assemblies.

This phase includes the AL kit Cabin Bulkheads; as well as a new Captains Dining Cabin and galley side pantry used by the cooks as well as two additional forward cabins (lots of detail).

I probably spent half of the above hours just contemplating the design as opposed to actually building…. I tend to over think my detail additions (many trips to the dark side). 

But for me, half the fun is researching and planning/designing the next step.

I should have a post ready in the next week or so….if the Admiral doesn’t make a course change on me :)  

Boyd 

I should have figured that it was detail and more detail that's kept you busy.  I can't wait to see the work; particularly the features that I'm sure you've added to the kit's.  I hear what you're saying about spending more time in the planning than in the doing.  That was particularly true of me with the planking where every strake was a calculated design. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Middle Deck Assembly

On the Middle Deck I planned to make extensive modifications and additions as this level has ample space/opportunity to do so.  As such, I’ll complete this work in two stages.

I’m estimating that I spent close to 150 hours on the model since my last post back in early May.  Some of the time was spent on other areas like; testing breadfruit materials, designing the main deck planking pattern, and thinking about techniques for planking the hull (I’m a big fan of Chuck’s methods and think I’ll probably give it a go….should get to it in a few months).  

So, here are the items I’ve completed in Stage One (parts of kit steps 13 – 20, along with custom modifications and additions):

Stern balusters and railings; I installed these prior to gluing up the kit bulkheads (easier to align and glue them in without the bulkheads in the way).  I assembled the three Baluster sections on a flat surface to be sure they were completely level and square.  Then I glued the assembly over the stair well.  Once that dried I attached the railings from the middle to the lower level.

Note; I’ll install the second (Bow) system in stage two after all the galley additions are completed (the assembly is already completed).

Kit Bulkheads; I moved the bulkhead assembly (kit steps 16 – 18) slightly a stern to accommodate the baluster and railing system design (basically moved it closer to center to allow traffic to pass on all sides of the stair well/railings).  This also required me to replace/lengthen the middle bulkhead panel (part 136).

In addition, I changed the window and door treatments for the kit bulkheads.  I used gratings for all the windows and paneled the bulkheads, cabin walls and doors with .06 x 5mm basswood strips.  I used a Number 2B Pencil on the edges of the strips to simulate very light tar lines.  I really like the look but it was very difficult to line up the tar lines on all the vertical walls and bulkheads where they come together in the corners (not all 5mm wide strips are created equal!!). 

Can anyone guess what I’m going to ask the Admiral to give me for Xmas  :)

Deck Gratings; this was a simple assembly for the two gratings (kit step 14).  Nothing exciting here. 

Cabin additions; this was the most significant addition to the middle deck (I spent close to 100 hours here).  Quite a bit of time was spent on brain storming design ideas and then cutting out and fitting cardboard templates. Some of my ideas for this stage were prompted from the Anatomy book...that mentions the Captains Dining Cabin (which doubled as a day room and clerks office) and the adjoining Pantry. 

The final additions included; a Captains Dining Cabin, a Pantry serving the Dining Cabin, and two additional forward cabins.  

For the Captains Dining Cabin; I added two back wall panels in between the frames. I built a dining table and wall shelf with maps and charts rolled up on the shelf.  I also framed and hung a map of Tahiti on the back wall. 

Note; I spent several hours trying to figure out the best way to open up the view into the Captains Dining Cabin….three failed template versions later the “Obvious” came to mind. 

For the pantry; I put together a shelf (also served as a bulkhead between the frames) and built a storage crate that sits under the lower shelf.  I also put some water/rum pitchers and serving bowls on the upper shelf's (they came in the furniture kit with the chairs I used around the dining table).

Here are some pictures of the finished work…..

post-17392-0-23166000-1435167128_thumb.jpg

Cabin additions (walls and bulkheads)

post-17392-0-61962100-1435167157_thumb.jpg

Kit Bulkheads (with modified wall treatments) 

post-17392-0-06896700-1435167187_thumb.jpg

Finished bulkheads and walls (dining table assembled)

post-17392-0-62062100-1435167239_thumb.jpg

View of all the finished assemblies

post-17392-0-55109700-1435167271_thumb.jpg

Green house side view of kit bulkhead

post-17392-0-20798400-1435167302_thumb.jpg

Stairway balusters and railings, note the increased space between the left railing and bulkhead wall (by moving the bulkhead to the stern side of the beam).  

post-17392-0-46061700-1435167501_thumb.jpg

Another view of the stairway

post-17392-0-48495700-1435167547_thumb.jpg

Another view of the stairway

post-17392-0-80248100-1435167324_thumb.jpg

Captains Dining Cabin

post-17392-0-25592900-1435167349_thumb.jpg

Close up of Dining Cabin, I painted the frames dark brown. Note the map of Tahiti on the wall.

post-17392-0-67247100-1435167375_thumb.jpg

Pantry to the Dining Cabin

post-17392-0-44360300-1435167399_thumb.jpg

Two Cabin additions

post-17392-0-37770100-1435167434_thumb.jpg

Another view of the additions, note the kit gratings

post-17392-0-39032500-1435167458_thumb.jpg

Hihg level overview, note the notches in the cross beam for the bilge pipes

Edited by thomaslambo

Boyd 

Boyd,

lovely work, those Details are amazing  and a joy to look at. I like those stairway balustrades and the Color giving, also that broken through cabin wall, providing sight to the interior with furniture  in it is a wonderful idea of yours

well done

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils,

Much of my work was inspired by your incredible build.  

I really appreciate your praise as it means a lot to me as a new builder.

I spent hours thinking about the way I'd open the Dining Cabin....I had three templates I didn't like and was somewhat frustrated.  Then I was looking at a picture of a finished AL Bounty model and thought....do it like the opening to the hull itself (a view within a view).

Some times the obvious escapes you  :)

Edited by thomaslambo

Boyd 

You have been busy, Boyd !! Keep it up.

I'm really liking your work on the internals ... and may even have to pinch a couple of your ideas.

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy