HMS Bounty by thomaslambo - Artesania Latina – Scale 1:48

G'day Boyd

I have spent a few enjoyable hours reading and digesting your log.

All I can say to you it's bloody marvellous.

I'll be keeping an eager eye open for your next and all the other entries. Keepthemcomingmate.

Greg

Hi Greg,

My apologies, I normally welcome first time visits to my log with a posted reply..my bad :)   

Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed reading the log, and thanks so much for the kind words....welcome aboard  :)

Ah..I already did as I missed the double post above to both you guys  :D  

Edited by thomaslambo

Boyd 

Current Build - HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina - Scale1:48

Hi Bob,

I really appreciate the kind words and your continued encouragement :)

Hi Greg,

Welcome aboard and it's always nice to hear from someone that took the time to read my log....and I'll continue to give it my best effort mate :)

Really like your Papillon Avatar, we've had the pleasure of loving two of them over the years :)

Hi Greg,

My apologies, I normally welcome first time visits to my log with a posted reply..my bad :)   

Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed reading the log, and thanks so much for the kind words....welcome aboard  :)

G'day Boyd

You did Boyd. Well anyway thank you.

Havagooday

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Hello Boyd,just catching up, the detailing looks superb.... Keep up the good work mate!! :) :)

Cheers

Dimitris

Edited by Dimitris71

Current Build: Amerigo Vespucci -Mantua- 1:100 scale

Completed Build logs: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Gallery: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Future Build: Royal Caroline -Panart- 1:47 scale

Hello all the Bounty builders , i follow all your build log. I foud full good idea in all the different build log for building mine.Last week i check the instructions and the parts , and i have a question about the single planking with the 2mm thick walnut .Watt do you think off double planking with two kind off strip more thin ?

Hello all the Bounty builders , i follow all your build log. I foud full good idea in all the different build log for building mine.Last week i check the instructions and the parts , and i have a question about the single planking with the 2mm thick walnut .Watt do you think off double planking with two kind off strip more thin ?

Hello, and welcome.

Regarding your question; to be honest, I lack experience with planking, so I hesitate to give you advice.

What I can tell you is what I plan to do; which is to apply only one layer of planks as the directions suggest.  However, I have purchased replacement wood for the kit supplied Walnut (I’m going to use Swiss Pear...which I believe is better suited for the job).

This is a difficult hull to plank....as such, one layer of planking is enough for me  :)

May I also suggest that you might post your question under “Building, Framing, Planking and plating a ships hull and deck”.  By doing so, you’ll likely get some sage advice from the experts on this forum.

Good luck with your build  :)

Boyd 

I just finished the small Bounty Launch (goes on the main deck of this model).  I used 1.0 mm basswood (kit supplied wood) to plank it...it's very thin and doesn't allow much sanding.  Under no circumstances would I use it on a single layer plank job for the larger Bounty hull.

The Swiss Pear I'm going to use is 3/32 inch thick (slightly thinner than 2 mm).  Personally, I wouldn't go any thinner...this is what a couple of experienced builders recommended to me.

Boyd 

Hi guys.... I too am building the AL Bounty kit, as a few of you know, having visited and kindly commented on my own log. I too own a wonderful little Papillon; her name is Winnie and she has blessed my wife and I for more than 7 years now. Three guys building the same ship, and all owning Papillons. Spooky, ain't it? My enjoyment and success with this kit would be greatly diminished if not for these build logs and the wisdom contained in them. I never begin a new phase without checking to see what my fellow shipwrights have done at the same stage.

Hi guys.... I too am building the AL Bounty kit, as a few of you know, having visited and kindly commented on my own log. I too own a wonderful little Papillon; her name is Winnie and she has blessed my wife and I for more than 7 years now. Three guys building the same ship, and all owning Papillons. Spooky, ain't it? My enjoyment and success with this kit would be greatly diminished if not for these build logs and the wisdom contained in them. I never begin a new phase without checking to see what my fellow shipwrights have done at the same stage.

Hi Maturin,

Thanks for coming aboard...and good luck with your build  :)

Boyd 

• 2 weeks later...

I've been doing quite a bit of research over the past 4 weeks.  But I was able to make some good progress.

Here are three items I completed  :)

A custom built anchor rope rack installed on the lower decks

Installation of the main deck.

Construction of the Launch, which was a nice diversion from the primary build… motivated by Captain Al and a couple errors he found  :)

Note: A big thanks to MattS and CaptainSteve for information provided on the Launch…as well as inspiration from their awesome MS Bounty Launch build logs.

Anchor rope rack, rope coils, and the bitts and bitter end:

This was the last detail item I needed to finish and install prior to gluing up the main deck.  This particular item (along with a couple others) could not be installed after the main deck and hull planking was completed.

I definitely took liberties on where I placed the rack and bitts and bitter end …as I wanted to place them where they could be seen. 

I built a custom rack with belay pins to hang the ropes on.  The rack is mounted on the back side of the lower deck in the Bow.  With the rack posts secured to the keel and lower deck beam.

I used a jig to coil and train the Anchor ropes in a similar fashion seen on many of the 18th century ships.

The Anchor rope is Syren product - Light Brown Rigging Rope .062 (1.57mm). 

I also secured the end of the rope (the bitter end) to large metal rings (bitts) bolted to the deck beams. 

Install the main deck:

This took 30 minutes to glue up. 

I used modified binder clips that were originally intended for hull planking.  But as I was considering the best way to hold the deck in place it occurred to me they were perfect for the job (with the addition of wood strips laid across the deck, held tightly in place by the clamps on each side of the frame). 

In the bow and stern I used metal planking clamps (they have threaded screws that hold them in place - small pilot holes were drilled for the screws).

I also left the masts in place to be sure the deck stayed aligned.

Note, the ease of installation for the main deck I would attribute to the effort that went into squaring and leveling the tops of the frames as the keel was laid.   

Launch construction:

The little launch was a fun build  :)

Note; I'm not going to use the Jollyboat because I don't like the look of the stacked launches.  Instead, I'll add additional details to the interior of the launch (rudder, sails, oars, etc).   

I made the following modifications to the launch:

1 Changed the top rails to be flat to allow Oar guide pins to be installed (instead of notches in the side rails). Along with adding a three piece top rail overlay that I stained dark to enhance the look.

2 Added a small grading panel to the bow.

3 Modified the Windlass crane in the stern  (AL refers to it as a Capstan – ????).  Either way, I shortened the support arms according to some information MattS used on his Launch build.

4 Covered the plywood deck edges with basswood strips as done on the Mother Ship.

5 Added several Belay Pins along the thwarts and top rails.

6 Planked the lower deck as opposed to scribing plank lines in the wood.

Here are some pictures of the above work….

Anchor rack and coiled ropes

post-17392-0-16104900-1444601983.jpg

This is the rope look I was trying to simulate

post-17392-0-68789000-1444601782_thumb.jpg

post-17392-0-22585600-1444601806_thumb.jpg

Note "the bitter end" connection to the "bitts" ring

Main deck install

post-17392-0-74301300-1444606991_thumb.jpg

Note; I installed dowels in all the frame/cross beam joins as I did on the lower and middle deck levels 

post-17392-0-89485300-1444602008_thumb.jpg

Modified binder clamps using wood planks across the deck to hold it down

post-17392-0-18182200-1444602026_thumb.jpg

post-17392-0-23143300-1444602043_thumb.jpg 

Completed Launch

post-17392-0-41832900-1444602087_thumb.jpg

post-17392-0-62433200-1444602318_thumb.jpg

Here is a plan sheet that shows the two sections of the Windlass - the wench and crane arms.  You can see the rope that runs from the wench to the crane arm roller

post-17392-0-93254700-1444602103_thumb.jpg

Note the basswood trim covering the plywood edge on the floorboard deck 

post-17392-0-27473800-1444602119_thumb.jpg

post-17392-0-65126100-1444602131_thumb.jpg

post-17392-0-79577800-1444602145_thumb.jpg

Note; the shortened crane arm support in the stern (AL refers to this part as the Capstan).  Also the grating in the Bow.

Edited by thomaslambo

Boyd 

G'day Boyd

Your chapters are always nice to read and understand, very well done!

Your Bounty is coming on great guns, the details are exceptional. Again well done.

Your modified paper clips are a great idea, this will go into my memory vault aswell.

Keep up the great work both on your log and your ship.

Havagooday

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

lovely Progress Boyd,

also the Launch Looks very nice..

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

That be some damn fine work there, Boyd !!

:cheers:

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Way to go Boyd, excellent job as always! Your expansive research and skillfully applied techniques are shining through. I love that the launch has been left open on one side to match the mothership.

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Gentlegiant, Greg, Keith and Dimitris...thanks very much for the kind words.

Greg, I'm glad you can use some of my tips...and I appreciate people that take the time to read the narratives  :)

Keith, yours and Captain Al's Bounty builds is what motivated me to build this model.  I also liked the fact that you left off the Jollyboat and added details to the Launch.

Thanks for the many detail ideas I got from you :)   

Edited by thomaslambo

Boyd 

Nils, thank you so much for nice comments...you sir are an inspiration yourself and I follow your builds with wonderment :)

Steve and Matt,

What can I say, you guys were the ones that pulled me over to the dark side...true masters of detail  :)

Your Launches are amazing...and half the fun of this hobby is researching and learning about these incredible ships :)  

Now the fun begins...planking the main deck and the hull :cheers:   

Edited by thomaslambo

Boyd 

Gentlegiant, Greg, Keith and Dimitris...thanks very much for the kind words.

Keith, yours and Captain Al's Bounty builds is what motivated me to build this model.  I also liked the fact that you left off the Jollyboat and added details to the Launch.

Thanks for the many detail ideas I got from you :)   

Thanks Boyd. The reason I left off the jolly boat was because it turned out to be a disaster. It was NOT a creative decision on my part! 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Hey Boyd, as usual a great log and description of all the great work you've done.  While my build may have initially been inspiration for you, the shoe is certainly now on the other foot.  You set the bar extremely high.  I can't wait to see what you have planned for your deck, planking and adornments. 

Keith,

I admire your honesty....it's funny, sometimes mistakes/disasters can lead to other innovative ideas and results :)  

I've seen a few other Bounty builds that had a single Launch on the main deck as well, and I really like the look...less crowded and more streamlined (the heck with Historical accuracy) :D   

Al,

You're very kind to be sure....and it's a pleasure collaborating with you on this build my friend  :)  

Edited by thomaslambo

Boyd 

Don't think of not putting the jolly boat on the ship as being historically inaccurate.  It all depends on when you are looking at the ship in model form.  There were many times when the jolly boat (and the launch of course) were not on the ship.  If you are presenting the model as how it looked after the mutiny, then the launch would not have been on board.  On my build (for various reasons) I chose not to include green breadfruit plants in the pots.  My rationale is that I'm showing the ship as it was before they arrived in Tahiti.  I don't think anyone would criticize a painting of the Sierras in August by saying "where's the snow?"

Al,

I would agree with you...but actually I think you know I was joking :)   

I'm putting more focus on nice detail then Historic accuracy.  

As an example; I think we all know the Bounty had copper plating on the hull the day it left on it's doomed voyage.  The records clearly note the Royal Navy had the hull plated as part of the re-fit.  But I have no intention of plating the hull with copper because I think wood looks much nicer (assuming I don't trash the planking job) :D   

Boyd 

I just saw your additions and they are a joy to behold. Exposing the inside of the launch, besides the fine work above, would make this a nice build on it's own. The rope work looks so clean, too. Very cool.

Bob

"Even while the storm raged at it's worst, my ship was wholesome and noble." - Captain Joshua Slocum

Current Builds:

L'Hermione 1780 - 1:89 - Artesania Latina   http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10261-hermione-la-fayette-1780-by-bobstrake-artesania-latina-scale-189/#entry305929<p>

Louise - 1:26 - Constructo  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/11855-louise-by-bobstrake-constructo-scale-126/?p=360370

Completed Builds:

Carmen 1850 - 1:80 - Constructo - First Build   http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10398-carmen-1850-by-bobstrake-constructo-scale-180/#entry31137

Hi Boyd,

Ditto other comments, the "Bar" is definitely raised reasonably high!!

Awesome craftsmanship!!

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

Bob and Harry,

The micro detail level of model ship building is definitely a challenge....I fall back on my model railroad and airplane experience for help  :)

I thank you both for the very kind words, the enjoyable conversations we had, and the help you're both given me :)  

Also, I thank everyone that hit the like button :)  

Edited by thomaslambo

Boyd