HMS Bounty by thomaslambo - Artesania Latina – Scale 1:48

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely, and I can't take credit for the idea as many others have done these type of modifications  :)

FYI - If you don't have a copy of "Anatomy of the Ship - The Armed Transport Bounty" by John McKay I highly recommend it.  This is where many builders get ideas for upgrading the AL Bounty kit.  It's one of the most complete sources of information on the Bounty.

Good luck  :)

Boyd 

Current Build - HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina - Scale1:48

Hi Boyd,

those cabin walls on the last pic

look great, well done

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hi Boyd,

those cabin walls on the last pic

look great, well done

Nils

Hi Nils,

I was thinking the same thing....However, the picture is not my build :)  

It can be a curve ball when someone else posts there pictures on your log...I'll direct you to Gentel Giants build log of the same model  :D

Link: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/11556-bounty-by-gentlegiant-artesania-latina/page-2

Edited by thomaslambo

Boyd 

Just finished going through your build log and was truly impressed.  Very nice work.  Love the precision and detail.

How large is your ladder in your post 65 ?

There are two sizes of pre-cut ladders in the kit; parts 150 (7 step) and 151 (9 step).  The ladder in post 65 is the shorter 7 step ladder.

Also, IMO AL waits to long in the instructions to have you install the ladders.  As you can see in my log I install them early on...particularly if you're going to add a railing system in the lower decks. 

Boyd 

Just finished going through your build log and was truly impressed.  Very nice work.  Love the precision and detail.

Hi Tom,

Thanks much for the compliment....and I'm enjoying your build as well  :)

Boyd 

As i see in your post 88 you do not use this system of wall (see picture).

Hi GG,

Good eye on your part, and for the most part yes.

I realize English isn’t your native language (I applaud you for being multilingual) so I’ll try and simplify the rather lengthy explanation in my log :)   

I only used the false bulkhead plywood pieces (parts 100 and 118 fore and aft cabin bulkheads).  I replaced part 136 (lengthwise cabin plywood bulkhead) because I needed it ¼ inch wider.  The reason was to add more clearance between the aft bulkhead wall and the companion way opening to allow my custom railing system to be installed.  

Yes, I totally ignored the wall treatments (parts/suggestions in the kit) and used my own custom design (basswood wall planking, grid windows, etc).  I also eliminated the door on the fore bulkhead wall that opened into the bilge pipe  :)

See the pictures below that shows the added clearance for the railing system (basically the aft bulkhead was moved to the opposite side of crossbeam number 162, frame 36).

post-17392-0-12512600-1446558013_thumb.jpg

Note the aft bulkhead is on the opposite side of the crossbeam 162, frame 36 now.  If you look closely at the lower right corner you can see the notch that the builge pipe will fit into (this would block the opening of the door I removed - I discovered this during a trip to the Dark Side)  :D

post-17392-0-82728400-1446558077_thumb.jpg

Here is the fore bulkhead wall without the door (upper right hand corner)

Edited by thomaslambo

Boyd 

Hello Boyd, Just checking for new updates... :) The work on pictures above is great!!

Cheers

Dimitris

Edited by Dimitris71

Current Build: Amerigo Vespucci -Mantua- 1:100 scale

Completed Build logs: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Gallery: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Future Build: Royal Caroline -Panart- 1:47 scale

Hello Boyd, Just checking for new updates...  :) The work on pictures above is great!!

Cheers

Dimitris

Thanks much for following the build....and your kind words  :)

Hi Boyd  Thank you for helping me; it was very kind of you!

I work now on the walls off the second deck your log is very complete.

My pleasure....and I'm glad you're benefiting from my build log :)   

Also, a big thanks to everyone that clicked the like button  :)

Edited by thomaslambo

Boyd 

Very nice work. Keep on going !

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Very nice work. Keep on going !

Hi Nenad,

Thanks for the kind words...and in case you missed the original post of the above pictures; here's a link back to page 5 that includes the complete set  :)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10059-hms-bounty-by-thomaslambo-artesania-latina-%E2%80%93-scale-148/page-5

Edited by thomaslambo

Boyd 

• 1 month later...

Hi Thomas

Your build is very neat, excellently done and the extras are a pleasure to look at, hope mine gets somewhere near as good as yours  :piratebo5:

Hi Bob,

Welcome to the AL Bounty builders club, and judging from you're very clean start I'm sure you'll have a beautiful build.  

Thanks for the kind words as well  :)

G'day Boyd, she looking quite intricate, nice job your doing,

Best regards John.

Hi John,

Thanks for stopping back in and I appreciate the compliments  :)

Boyd 

• 2 weeks later...

It's been over 8 weeks since I made a post on the log...so here comes a major update  :cheers:

Main deck planking – and please forgive my lengthy narrative  :)

Before I begin I’d like to thank Chuck and Danny for their inspiring build logs as well as answering a few questions on 18th Century deck planking.  Also, thanks to Brian (GuntherMT) and Al (Captain Al) for your help and support  :)

Now that I’m starting the exterior (highly visible areas) of the ship I’m going to try and improve the quality of my build.

As such, I’ve replaced much of the AL kit supplied materials.  This includes the main deck and hull planking material, all the walnut material used for the masts and spars including the pre-cut pieces, the rigging ropes/lines, the cannons and carriages, and the stern lanterns.  

For starters I purchased Costello Boxwood from Crown Timberyard for the Main Deck.    I wanted harder wood and thicker planks to replace the 1mm soft Basswood that came in the kit.  This will allow me to better simulate methods used on many 18th century ships.

After some reading and several PM conversations with a few of the experienced builders here at MSW….I ended up constructing what I believe is something close to a typical 18th Century deck. 

The deck incorporates a Margin Strake with Scarph joints and commonly used Hook Planks to accommodate the major curves in the Bounty’s deck.

I used hand tools for almost all the work completed, with the exception of the curved Bow planks (used my Proxxon Scroll saw to rough cut the pieces from a Boxwood sheet).

Boxwood materials used: 5mm x 2mm strips used for the standard planks, 7mm to 10mm x 2mm strips used for the Margin, Waterway Filler and Hook Planks, and 2mm x (approx. 4 inch wide) sheets used for the curved bow sections of the Margin and Filler strakes.  

Here are the basic steps I took to complete the deck planking along with a few pictures:

Margin and Waterway Filler Strakes;

I began by installing the two outside most strakes, a Waterway Filler strake and the Margin strake.  I created cardboard templates for all the sections on both strakes and fitted them to the false deck.

Once I was happy with the template fit I cut the Waterway Filler and Margin strake pieces out of Boxwood strips and sheets. 

The Margin strakes have 3 sections on each side (held together with scarph joints), and the Waterway Filler has two planks on each side as it will be covered by a contoured Waterway strake after the deck is completed. 

I incorporated Hooked Scarph Joints on the Margin strake as this was standard practice in the 18th Century.  I first created hardwood templates for making the scarph joints.  This insured both sides of the joints were exactly the same shape.  I simply traced the template onto the plank ends and then cut them out with a razor saw and X-acto knive.  Then I carefully filed the pieces (using jewelers files) until they had a tight fit.

Once all the pieces were completed and fitted to my satisfaction I glued them in place (Waterway Filler first, then the Margin snugly up against it).  

I then laid out a grid pattern on the ply false deck to keep the planks aligned during installation.  The Port to Starboard lines are used to align the butt joints for the three shift of butts pattern, and the Bow to Stern lines are used to keep the strakes lined up evenly.

post-17392-0-23865700-1451431543_thumb.jpg

Tools used, Scarph template and rough cut Margin planks with penciled scarph joints ready to be cut out 

post-17392-0-93735400-1451431565_thumb.jpg

Margin Planks with Scarph joints cut out and ready for install

post-17392-0-25216900-1451431587_thumb.jpg

Margin and Filler strakes installed

post-17392-0-23340800-1451431603_thumb.jpg

Grid lines drawn in for planking alignment

Hook Plank Cutting and Fitting;

I calculated how many Hook Planks would be needed in the Bow and Stern (4 in the Bow - 2 on each side, and 12 in the Stern – 6 on each side). 

I then cut out cardboard templates for each hook plank.  Note; only 8 templates were needed to create 16 hook planks as the Port and Starboard planks were very close to the same size.

I used 10mm strips to cut out all the hook planks (using the template traced lines).  Once they were fitted to my satisfaction on each side I glued them up.

post-17392-0-63439600-1451431834_thumb.jpg

Tools used, and a couple Hook Plank templates with planks ready for cutting. 

post-17392-0-15891500-1451431856_thumb.jpg

Stern Hook Plank Fitting

post-17392-0-35327800-1451431867_thumb.jpg

Bow Hook Plank Fitting

Lay the Planks with #2B Pencil Simulated Tar lines;

I installed the hook and standard planks (24 feet or 6 inches to scale).  I used 5mm x 2mm planks and a couple of 6mm and 7mm planks in the center, which is fairly close to scale for about an 8 to 10 inch wide plank.

Note; every single plank laid on the main deck was beveled on at least one edge and many on both edges.  This is due to the curvature across the deck from port to starboard, and also to attain a tight fit between the strakes. 

Once the planks were cut and filed/sanded to shape I coated both edges with number 2B pencil (a method I saw in Chuck's build log) and then I glued them down with PVA.  

Also, I only glue the planks on the bottom (not on the edges)....as it allows the wood to expand and contract as the temperature and humidity changes   :)     

post-17392-0-80754800-1451432002_thumb.jpg

Stern Hook Planks

post-17392-0-89546100-1451432017_thumb.jpg

Stern Hook Planks.  Note the wider King Plank in the center, I opted not to make it proud (raised) as it would cause issues with all the deck furniture.  The two planks on either side are wider as well...similar to Binder Planks but they're placed incorrectly (Binder Planks would be just outside the hatchways with no breaks in the strake other than butt joints).

post-17392-0-13446100-1451432033_thumb.jpg

Scarp Joint in the Margin 

Tree Nail Installation;

Prior to laying out the Tree Nails I did some fairly heavy sanding with 120, 150, 200 and 400 grit sandpaper to prepare the deck for tree nail installation and finishing.   

I proceeded to carefully lay out the nail pattern on the deck with pencil and a ruler (holding the ruler in place with masking tape).  After I was satisfied with the pattern I used a sharp punch to set a very small starter hole for each tree nail.  Using a hand pen vice drill I then drilled over 600 holes (with a 0.64mm drill bit).

Final preparation was to remove any residue in the holes and then very slightly reaming the top of the hole with an Awl to clean up any ragged/fuzzy edges at the top of the holes.

Once I was ready to fill the holes I took great care to use as little filler as possible to fill the holes...trying to avoid getting the filler in between the planks.  

Then a bit of sanding with 400 grit to remove the excess filler.  Followed by a nice rub down with a clean cloth to prepare the surface for the Teak Oil (two coats did the job nicely).

post-17392-0-77543500-1451480308_thumb.jpg

Tools and material used for Tree Nails.  The X-acto makes a great putty knife.

post-17392-0-37089100-1451432563_thumb.jpg

Tree Nails Marked

post-17392-0-25370200-1451432589_thumb.jpg

Tree Nail Holes....Drilling begins on over 600 holes (note fuzzy edges on hole rims that need to be removed)

Tree Nail Method Selection;

I spent considerable time testing two different types of tree nail methods; 1) drilled holes filled with wood filler,  and 2) bamboo tree nails (using my Byrnes draw plate) stained and pressed into drilled holes.

I went with Chuck’s wood filler approach after testing 8 different colors.  I ended up using Elmer’s Golden Oak filler.  Reason I choose this method; to me the wood filler approach looks more subtle then the tree nail method….I just like the look better.  

Interesting to note that depending on the wood finish you’re using it can have a profound impact on the final color of any given wood filler.  I spent hours messing around with several finishes and different wood filler colors until I came up with the color I liked.

I ended up using my personal favorite wood treatment Teak Oil combined with Golden Oak wood filler.  Note, I was leaning toward Maple until I used the Teak Oil on the Golden Oak, it darkened it up to exactly what I was looking for.

post-17392-0-64104200-1451432720_thumb.jpg

Boxwood Un-treated (no finish) 

post-17392-0-49225700-1451432742_thumb.jpg

Boxwood Treated (with Teak Oil on left and Poly on the right)

post-17392-0-54030400-1451432755_thumb.jpg

Two favorite filler colors (Golden Oak and Maple) finished with Teak Oil

Here is the finished Deck Planking 

post-17392-0-66209800-1451432945_thumb.jpg

post-17392-0-65679900-1451432961_thumb.jpg

post-17392-0-02235100-1451432975_thumb.jpg

post-17392-0-49897000-1451432989_thumb.jpg

post-17392-0-37741000-1451433010_thumb.jpg

post-17392-0-80287200-1451433041_thumb.jpg

Edited by thomaslambo

Boyd 

Wow !! That is some mighty fine planking there, Boyd !!!

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

What an awesome job on the planking. Top notch all the way.  I will tuck this one away for future reference.

Tom

Hi Boyd,

A truly Awesome job there Chap!!

Like the use of Teak Oil.

Reckon I'll be using the 2B pencil in the future.

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

Hi Boyd.

That's a master piece of deck planking..

With a Exelent discription on how you did it...

Was waiting on your next post and it arrives at Christmas ... Nice gift.

Totally Exelent modeling skills.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Great Mate! Your enthusiasm might take me back on board, after almost 2 years of "creative silence"! My hands start itching and I am now seriously thinking of taking Her body out of the dust and restoring work on her.

Pity I did not pay as much attention on decking as you did... 

Great job, keep on!

========

Current build  -  HMS Bounty - 1:48 - Artesania Latina

Previous build    Golden Star - 1:150 - Mantua (not finished)

Incredible planking Boyd! The wait for your update was well worth it. Your bar is reaching Olympic proportions my friend.

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)