Yacht Spray of Captain Joshua Slocum by IgorSky - BOTTLE - 1/350 Scale

Hi Igor, I know what you mean.  I carved a Slocum to sit on the cot reading, as in the picture. He never got into the boat.  Too many people said . . . .

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Hi Bob,

OK, if I am not able to make a figure of the captain Slokum, I will speak that the captain in a cabin reads the book. :)

Couple of days ago to me presented one more small bottle and now I am again compelled to choose between an old bottle and new.

You can look today's update below

Best Regards!

Igor.

post-17539-0-86816600-1428171544_thumb.jpg

post-17539-0-51571600-1428171697_thumb.jpg

post-17539-0-14769700-1428171741_thumb.jpg

post-17539-0-25460200-1428171766_thumb.jpg

Hi Igor

Wonderful. Love the seams on the sail. How did you manage to do them?

Cheers

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

I painted fabric sideways of the sail and then stretched these painted parts of threads on the sail.

I thought that the small bottle of brandy won't be superfluous :)

Best Regards!

Igor.

post-17539-0-10634900-1428345774_thumb.jpg

post-17539-0-73936000-1428345785_thumb.jpg

The brandy bottle is a wonderful touch... I can't conceive of even trying something that small.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Igor

The "Proxxon" you're referring to - would that be your new lathe? If so, very nicely done, especially as you'd still be learning how to use it.

Cheers

Patrick

No, Patrick, I still didn't even turn on my lathe. I use the usual minidrill. Look at the photos below - in some minutes I made a bottle for an example. It is really simple.

Best Regards!

Igor.

post-17539-0-58132400-1428396404_thumb.jpg

post-17539-0-53599300-1428396417_thumb.jpg

post-17539-0-53672900-1428396428_thumb.jpg

post-17539-0-34358400-1428396436_thumb.jpg

post-17539-0-65470700-1428396444_thumb.jpg

post-17539-0-62157200-1428396456_thumb.jpg

I wish everything in this hobby were that easy....  ^_^

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I second Mark's comments as well! I also recall that one of your (Igor's) many other talents is as a photographer. I can only wish I could take as nice macro shots as you do, Igor!

Definitely a skill to admire.

Cheers

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for compliment!

I think that it isn't my talent, but modern photoequipment. My camera does everything instead me. I only press the button :)

Best Regards!

Igor.

Hi Patrick,Thanks for compliment!I think that it isn't my talent, but modern photoequipment. My camera does everything instead me. I only press the button :)Best Regards!Igor.

Yer, but, I've got a pretty nifty camera, but my macro photos still come out blurred. My son just shakes his head and laughs..."Dad, I've told you how to use the camera...we've been through this many times before...blah blah blah...".

I still can't get it to work.

Oh well...

Edited by Omega1234

Fantastic Igor, very nice work.  It looks fantastic in the new bottle.

Are you planning to add sea to the bottle?  

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

She looks so good even Captain Slocum would be proud of her.  Well done.

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

I was going through some old “Ships in Scale” magazines and ran across an article about building the Spray in a bottle.  As you can see in the picture there are two boats.  One in the bottle and one in the stopper.  hanging in the neck of the bottle is a globe.  Thought you might enjoy seeing it.

Bob

A CLASSIC IN A CARAFE (SLOCUM'S SPRAY)        

Ships in Scale:

Mar-April 1995, page 33-36

May-June 1995, Page 48-52

July-Augus t 1995, Page 52-55

post-513-0-77089200-1428686627_thumb.jpg

Hi Bob,

Many thanks for this interesting information! I will try to find these magazines.

I have the bottle with hollow stopper. The stopper has an opening of 6 mm.

post-17539-0-06035200-1428695670_thumb.jpg

But I didn't solve, as I will use it.

In the process of construction of this model it became interesting to me to construct other model of this yacht in bigger scale. Perhaps I will return to it later.

Best Regards!

Igor.