HM Brig Supply 1759 by bryanc - FINISHED - Caldercraft - Scale 1:64

Beautiful work on her, but that pink box kind of turns me off a bit :o

mike

Thanks Mike,

But "pink box"! Do you mean the (bashed) cover on the tiller? Yes I did wonder if it was a bit "obvious".

Bryan

Bryan, I would consider doing your shrouds and ratlines on now while you still have finger room as your stays and back stays will get in the way. Also, if you look up the ' order of dressing the masts and yards' rigging to me and you, shrouds went round the head first before stays and back stays, however, fore stays are useful to prevent the shrouds pulling the mast out of align whilst rigging. This is something I learnt with plastic kits where I would rig temporary fore stays to higher up the mast doubling and then rig them correctly after the shrouds were in place.

Hi Thunder, Too late he cried! I've just logged on for the first time since posting the last update - to say I've now finished the yards and allied rigging and am about to start on the shrouds and ratlines!! And yes, in retrospect I do worry I will have enough room to manoeuvre. Oh well, committed now.

Being ever aware my ship building will come to a grinding halt when the shrouds are done, I actually logged on to have a nosey about for inspiration for my next build. Anyone any ideas for the "next stage up" after The Suppy?

Bryan

Completed build Caronada Francese

Completed build Posto di Combattimanto

Current build Navio Rayo - Puesto de Combate

Current build HMS Bounty

Completed build HMS Victory Cross Section

Completed build HM Brig "Supply"

Completed build The Lady Nelson

Oh dear you have some fiddly work to do. Might be worth making a jig with pins in a board set to the deadeye spacing and mast height. Then you can make them and apply in one piece. It won't be accurate to how should be rigged but your order is out now anyway.

Supply is as intricate as most kits just one less mast or more detail. If you have successfully built this then I would just take what you fancy. Hull shape of ships like the Endeavour would be tricky but not too much different. Something like Granado or Caroline?

Current Build(s):

• H.M.S Diana 1794 - Caldercraft 1:64 Scale

Completed Builds:

Oh dear you have some fiddly work to do. Might be worth making a jig with pins in a board set to the deadeye spacing and mast height. Then you can make them and apply in one piece. It won't be accurate to how should be rigged but your order is out now anyway.

Supply is as intricate as most kits just one less mast or more detail. If you have successfully built this then I would just take what you fancy. Hull shape of ships like the Endeavour would be tricky but not too much different. Something like Granado or Caroline?

Many thanks Thunder, I suspect your right re. the fiddly work so I've ordered the Amati rigging jig. Hopefully that will help me a little. Thanks for the advice re. the next ship. Needless to say I have been looking and must say HMS Snake has caught my eye!

Current build HMS Bounty

Good choice, I would have to look at other ships in the same class to change the name though.

Current Build(s):

• H.M.S Diana 1794 - Caldercraft 1:64 Scale

Completed Builds:

Nearly there...

Just a couple of photos before I start on the shrouds; the last and aurgueably the toughest lap.

post-17543-0-53226900-1435411779_thumb.jpg

post-17543-0-62255800-1435411795_thumb.jpg

But don't photos reveal detail the eye chooses not to see!? I'm going to have to tidy up the paintwork on the keel for a start. And one or two things need attention. Oh well.

Bryan

Current build HMS Bounty

Hi Bryan..... I really think you should've done the ratlines before setting the yards..... It's going to be hard to work around them.

just be careful !! :P

frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Hi Bryan..... I really think you should've done the ratlines before setting the yards..... It's going to be hard to work around them.

just be careful !! :P

frank

Yes Frank this does seem to be the general consensus, and I'm afraid its largely my ignorance, but it is a learning process. The penultimate paragraph in the manual indicates clearly that the yards are to be done first with the "rigging" being the very last paragraph in it (the manual). Of course if you read said paragraphs properly it does say do the shrouds THEN the rigging of the stays etc etc. Oh well. I'll have to see how this last hurdle develops.

Bryan

Current build HMS Bounty

• 5 weeks later...

Almost there

After a long silence I thought I'd better throw in an update, given that I intend starting a new build log of my next ship very shortly.

My "Supply" is almost finished; as several people wisely pointed out, I was going to have a lot of trouble completing the shrouds as I had already completed the masts and stays, ratlines etc. They were right! It proved very tricky indeed, and has taken a lot of time. The Amati Rigging Jig did help but that can't create shrouds that can go around all the other ship impedimentia! I was hoping to be able to say "Complete!" about now, as all eight shrouds were created and fitted, but yesterday the main mast starboard lower set collapsed as I was trying to fit the "crowsfeet" (I hope I'm using that expression correctly), and the whole think collapsed rendering the upper shroud useless to!

I'm already working to replace it, and the stays and ratlines that were inadvertantly and inevitably broken as I struggled to fit the shrouds. I estimate another day or so!

During the latter part of this build, I was foolish enough to open the box of my next project, the AL HMS Bounty. Pandora having opened the box now paid the price, and I could not resist having a good look, and even making a start while things on the Supply dried etc.

Hopefully back very shortly with pictures of the completed Supply!

Bryan

Current build HMS Bounty

• 2 weeks later...

Finished!

Well, almost an anti-climax, as I have already started on my next project, the Artesania Latina HMS Bounty, and am enjoying it so much, my previous all consuming love The Supply, sadly took a back seat.

But I wrenched myself from The Bounty and have for all intents and purposes, now finished the Supply. In all honesty, it was only replacing damaged stays and rigging which suffered as I struggled with the shrouds (as many people had predicted) plus general "fettling".

post-17543-0-15227100-1438958556_thumb.jpg

It's sat on an old chest (not an original sea chest!), and the stains on the chest are candle wax, which is somehow appropriate!

post-17543-0-61342800-1438958662_thumb.jpg

There are many weaknesses and many faults and ill conceived shortcuts that were taken, but it was only my second ship, and I'm not totally disappointed with her, and god only knows, I learnt such a lot!

Bryan

Current build HMS Bounty

Nice build Bryan...... she looks really good!!.....have a good build on your Bounty!!....

frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Congratulations on finishing her Brian. Glad to see you finally got those shrouds and ratlines under control. Best wishes with the Bounty.

Steve.

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

Congratulations on your completed build Bryan!

She looks really great!

Cheers,

Nigel.

Edited by UpstateNY

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

Thanks guys, a lot of very generous comments, and much appreciated. I think the whole point is that the whole exercise is a learning process, hopefully the things I've learnt will reap rewards with the Bounty - and it will be interesting to see if, or how much, that is true in the coming weeks and months!

Thank you,

Bryan

Current build HMS Bounty

• 6 months later...

Hi Bryan. I am somewhat ahead of you on the same build. Am about to start work on the masts and yards. Have done a fair bit of bashing of the kit though. My only comment at this stage is that the supplied timber for the second layer of planking is quite brittlle, rough and splintery, particularly on the edges. You will probably need to go through the whole lot and disregard some of them. Luckily Caldercraft provides more than enough to complete the job. I also found a very good example of this ship in the online exhibit from the Powerhouse Museum in Sydney. It is worth a look if you are considering any bashing. Use the Museum search facility - enter HM Armed Brig Supply - 24 hi res pics. :)

brilliant link, I am going to give this kit a go for my next adventure and the detailed photos will be a superb asset.

Current build: Caldercraft 1:64 HM Brig Supply

Finished builds: HMS Endeavours longboat

• 4 years later...
On 2/23/2016 at 9:59 AM, Telp said:

brilliant link, I am going to give this kit a go for my next adventure and the detailed photos will be a superb asset.

Great Job Brian!

Thanks Hornet for posting the Supply model link

Cheers

Mark

from Tasmania

Current Build:

HMS Supply - Artesania Latina - Scale 1:56

USS Kearsarge