Cutty Sark by Izzy Madd - Airfix - PLASTIC - Just trying to get it to go together

Hi,

When I wrote my profile. I said I was going to be building the HMS Victory with the Cutty Sark mixed in to help me retain some of my insanity. Well after getting the Heller Victory. And realising just how detailed she is. I realise I need a lot of research before wading in. So I've started the Cutty Sark just to blow away a few cobwebs. And relearn what I've forgotten and learn all that's new. Since the invention of the Internet...

Now as I say I'm just having fun. But any suggestions or alternative methods whatever will be most welcome.

And before any one says anything yes I've started off with the wrong colour paint. Ah well...

So here she is. Sorry the pics are so naff but I'm still waiting to get my camera back from my daughter.

Not quite from day one but due to handicaps near enough please be gentle. It's my first time. :-)

But be honest

post-18378-0-68377900-1426948917_thumb.jpg

post-18378-0-01167400-1426948934_thumb.jpg

post-18378-0-67792200-1426948952_thumb.jpg

post-18378-0-07373200-1426948979_thumb.jpg

post-18378-0-93330100-1426949004_thumb.jpg

Not much I can say as a commentary but here she is. I just hope the real Cutty Sark is in better condition even after the fire.

This is one awful kit

So watch this space. Either it will grow nicely or end up in Davey Jones Locker.

Ongoing builds,

SCutty Sark Revell 1/350 (Mini Nannie)

Cutty Sark Airfix 1/130 (Big Sis)

Will (Everard) Billings 1/65 but with wooden bottom, because I can

I can see a lot of potential with this. Way too soon to think of sending it to Davy Jone's locker!

You've not seen the state of the parts. The two sides of the hull were different heights where they met. And different keel alignments and the lengths were out by nearly 5mm. Thankfully I went to art uni so I may just end up calling it Cutty Sark after Dali and leave it on the radiator:-)

Thanks for the comment. Hopefully it will look something like even if it's after the fire that resemblance is...

Ongoing builds,

It can be fitted ... depends how stubborn are you, and which measure of challenge can you deal with

Anyhow, wellcome to CS fleet. Here is another builder building CS and VIC simultaneously (Rfolsom aka Bob)

I think CS do not like radiator ;) She is not a cat !!!

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

• 3 weeks later...

I am making the Revell Thermopylae which is very similar to the Sark.Is that the Revell kit?

No sorry this is the airfix model. But I can see where your coming from as it was only when I looked at your name I realised that it wasn't CS. I think they all went throught so many changes in there careers and the design was about as good as it could get. That they were all so very similar.

Edited by Izzy Madd

Ongoing builds,

It can be fitted ... depends how stubborn are you, and which measure of challenge can you deal with

Anyhow, wellcome to CS fleet. Here is another builder building CS and VIC simultaneously (Rfolsom aka Bob)

I think CS do not like radiator ;) She is not a cat !!!

Just spotted you've done the Santa Maria. I've got that waiting in the wings. I don't think they know enough about her to even be able to quote a scale though. So should be fun as even the kit makers are guessing :-)

Ongoing builds,

Izzy, SM was done more than 30 years ago in LEGO way, knowing nothing about ship, without any resources to leatn about. Also knowing nothing about real modeling. But I kearned something - there is no damage or mistake which can not be fixed or corrected. Depends only of your time, will, patience and ambition what do ylu expect from your model. Even a small and very simplified Heller's model of CS look interesting for accidental watchers out of this hobby.

I suggest to you to organize little talk with yourself about your goals with this model you are building. Not easy conversation, but it worth.

If you want challenges, go on, man!!! It still can be good looking model!!!!

Even without radiaror !

:);)

In progress:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Izzy, SM was done more than 30 years ago in LEGO way, knowing nothing about ship, without any resources to leatn about. Also knowing nothing about real modeling. But I kearned something - there is no damage or mistake which can not be fixed or corrected. Depends only of your time, will, patience and ambition what do ylu expect from your model. Even a small and very simplified Heller's model of CS look interesting for accidental watchers out of this hobby.

I suggest to you to organize little talk with yourself about your goals with this model you are building. Not easy conversation, but it worth.

If you want challenges, go on, man!!! It still can be good looking model!!!!

Even without radiaror !

:);)

Your right of course. It was just a shock. Thirty years ago the models were so crisp and fitted together with very little effort. Apart from the intentional redesigns. Such as that crucial bit being eaten by the dog. But all I'm after from this is something I can say look I did this. I won't do my james Cagney impersonation from White Heat. Let's just say I'd be on top of the world. Warts and all. I'm getting as bad as Dafi. I'll leave you to work out what quotes are which. Just give your selves a gold star if you get it right.

Anyway back the the CS. Having looked at a lot of images throught the ages and other discussions about how she should look. I think I'll sail away from the post inferno look. And aim more for the mental image of how I think she looked. And if I'm wrong no one will know. And CS has hand so many paint jobs it's hard to say which is right anyway.

At the moment I'm struggling to grasp the basics such as glue that actually goes only where you want it. And new fangled acrylic paints. Which considering I did an arts based degree ten years ago. I should know but I'm still used to the little tin pots of enamel. But my lungs aren't. And acrylics "usually" dry quicker.

On a mixed note. My disabilities have been playing havoc with my ship building as all I've managed to do is build these two bitspost-18378-0-31024500-1428517753_thumb.jpg

I've also managed to find the only pot of White acryilic I had doesn't cover very well...

post-18378-0-16704900-1428517903_thumb.jpg

I've found the only black acryilic that won't dry...

post-18378-0-90130900-1428517972_thumb.jpg

And created a new spot the error competition...

post-18378-0-16929700-1428518036_thumb.jpg

So all in all I not only give you two movie references to wonder about I also give you added value as to what's missing. Neither very hard. But better than Dafi he only give you one quote at a time :-);-)

So I'll sail off until I've done a little more damage.

Thanks for the support

Sorry the images are upside down I blame the nut behind the camera my self...

Edited by Izzy Madd

Ongoing builds,

Just keep on moving, nice and easy, without rush, with patience and lot of thinking, and things will fit well

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Hi Ho,

Fellow nautical engineers. Just a quick update. I've at last found a paint that both sticks but also dries. I've just got remove the other paint. But that's simple enough just give a dirty look and it should fall off.

But celebrate I decided to pay homage to Nannie her self as you can see below

post-18378-0-31501900-1428717462_thumb.jpg

post-18378-0-65973000-1428717495_thumb.jpg

post-18378-0-03851900-1428717514_thumb.jpg

post-18378-0-70169000-1428718062_thumb.jpg

As you can see I've taken a few school boy liberties with her as seemed only right. After all it is my ship

post-18378-0-05952500-1428730785.jpg

Edited by Izzy Madd

Ongoing builds,

I am making the Revell Thermopylae which is very similar to the Sark.Is that the Revell kit?

Hi.

They are incredibly similar. I wonder if airfix did mine from the same parts as there are several holes in the deck and such that arnt used. Even don't to the cradles at the back which I've not added yet as I was struggling with the paints. Got that sorted now just need to crack on and hope I don't snap any more bits off.

Ongoing builds,

Hey Izzy, if you are able to do anything in this scale, you sure can make all model to be beaurifull !!!!

Just keep on playing, and think about 3x-5x magnifier

Try this

post-4738-0-73461200-1428744599_thumb.jpg

Very thin, without side hairs, and you can model tail in direction you want. Just a couple if single wires are enough

And wellcome to the "micro-surgery" world

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Izzy !!

Nice work indeed.

I would second Nenad's suggestion above !!

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Hey Izzy, if you are able to do anything in this scale, you sure can make all model to be beaurifull !!!!

Just keep on playing, and think about 3x-5x magnifier

Try this

attachicon.gif20090926_002009_power-cabel-02.jpg

Very thin, without side hairs, and you can model tail in direction you want. Just a couple if single wires are enough

And wellcome to the "micro-surgery" world

That would be perfect for the tail thanks. As for the suggestion I use 5x magnification on a good day. Most days it's 20x or nothing. Mainly because I can't find the magnifier without the magnifier. thanks for the compliments. I did this at 5 am as I couldn't sleep it took me about ten mins, thanks to acrylics, she's now had a new prosthetic just need to paint it to match and fix the tail. Great tip there.

Izzy

Finally managed to get a camera to focus somewhere near at least you can see her at her best ish and get a sense of scale

Enjoy. I hope.

post-18378-0-07752800-1428789100_thumb.jpg

Edited by Izzy Madd

Ongoing builds,

Well here's the last of the tale of the missing tail

After a trip to the hairdresser to have her hair at it glorious Celtic best.

A little plastic surgery on her arm

And even a trip to the dry cleaners to get her "Cutty Sark" freshened up.

But sadly still a little camera shy.

And even a brand new background to show her full statuesque 10mm hight.

post-18378-0-51243600-1428797277_thumb.jpg

post-18378-0-45331800-1428797295_thumb.jpg

This one shows some of her best features I thinks is the best way of putting it

post-18378-0-91408700-1428797310_thumb.jpg

Ongoing builds,

Pieces of eight, and Polly wanna want a cracker.

Hello my hearty sea dogs. I'm looking for some help in sourcing a small supply of board to make a range of box section fittings for storing tools, etc in. With the eventual idea of making a sort of work station. So it needs some rigidity but also need to be light. I was hopeful of using aluminium composite board. To give some sort of ides of strength and weight.

But I need a cheap source in the UK. Short of turning to piracy any ideas please. Not just suppliers but also alternatives.

Thanks

Izzy

Edited by Izzy Madd

Ongoing builds,

Advice please.

I'm making this model but there are several mistakes and mould issues I have with it. Now I've started it I'm really getting engrossed. But these faults are bugging me. I've got chance of a second version.

Would anyone have any comments about dry docking this version and using it for spares. And starting over again on the second model. Basically learning from my mistakes?

Be brutal but be honest. So ist or is it

Thanks

PS. Nannie will be jumping ship as well

Ongoing builds,

Are you quite sure you do not make mess in future stage after succesfuly redo this first stage? And then again from the begining? etc etc forever in circle ...

I suggest you to go forward with this build to learn a way how to fix and mask mistakes. Result can be great at the end. And you just can not know in which moment reguired patience and skill will wake up deep inside of you

But, this is your ship and your build, so means - your move

Anyhow you decide, I'll follow

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Are you quite sure you do not make mess in future stage after succesfuly redo this first stage? And then again from the begining? etc etc forever in circle ...

I suggest you to go forward with this build to learn a way how to fix and mask mistakes. Result can be great at the end. And you just can not know in which moment reguired patience and skill will wake up deep inside of you

But, this is your ship and your build, so means - your move

Anyhow you decide, I'll follow

I understand what you are getting at. And thanks for the promis to follow. And I realise the choice is mine in the end. But getting second opinions is what this forums about. Being able to get other less biased views. I may do as Dafi has with his own armada of Victories. And complete this one then having made all the mistakes first time around. I can try and make another set of different mistakes second time..

So thanks for the opinion. And as an open minded answer I feel you are right about not abandoning ship just because of a few loose screws in the crew .

Ongoing builds,

Update on the end of the missing tail.

It was an over early termination. Of the story. While I liked the curly strands they were a little over thick. They were all I had from some micro mesh. But as luck would have if lady fate has come to Nannies rescue as I've found an old USB cable. With 5 thou wires so as soon as I can untangle them enough Meg will be loosing an all new tail. And I've finally got my camera back from my daughter so I can even post in focus images of Nannie in her Cutty Sark as before and afters.

Till then calm sea and gentle winds to all.

And an extra tot of rum for all hands...

Edited by Izzy Madd

Ongoing builds,

Well here we are me hearties,

The weekend and another weekend teaser. Having a few problems locating my steel rule I decided to splash out a whole £1. And buy a new one. After all what can go wrong with a steel rule. A piece of metal with two straight edges and some numbers along the edges‽

See if you can guess what went wrong...

post-18378-0-38611800-1429365157_thumb.jpg

While it's not the end of the world it does tend to beg the question when is a ruler not a ruler?

Ongoing builds,

Nope. Can't see anything wrong with that picture, whatsoever.

(O'course, I'm used to the metric system and have no probs dividing/multiplying by 10)

:cheers:

CaptainSteve

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Nope. Can't see anything wrong with that picture, whatsoever.

(O'course, I'm used to the metric system and have no probs dividing/multiplying by 10)

Try devising the first cm by ten?

Or more to the point try measuring the first mm compared to the rest?

Edited by Izzy Madd

Ongoing builds,

Ooops ...

My apologies, Izzy. I didn't look that closely.

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Izzy,

Give some thought to continuing on with this build and then use that knowledge to build the second one.. Yes, Dafi is a good example.  I wouldn't go to the complete end though.  A few steps on this one.. then on the new one... back and forth. 

On the ruler.. I never, ever measure from the end of the ruler anyway as they get dinged up and create problems.  As long as the rest of the tick marks are proper, I'd use it.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Izzy,

Give some thought to continuing on with this build and then use that knowledge to build the second one.. Yes, Dafi is a good example.  I wouldn't go to the complete end though.  A few steps on this one.. then on the new one... back and forth. 

On the ruler.. I never, ever measure from the end of the ruler anyway as they get dinged up and create problems.  As long as the rest of the tick marks are proper, I'd use it.

As they gave me my money back its neither here nor there it's still a good strong straight edge and as you say it's simpler and more accurate to use tha middle and I've a specific rule for depth anyway. That's when I'm not just guessing

Ongoing builds,

the steel ruler I have,  has smaller increments for a short length,  at the beginning.   I see no problem using the one you have.   I also agree with the others on the future of this build.   sure.......buy another one and use this one as you test subject......should it come down to it.   if this is your first build,  it will enable you to experiment and see what will work for you.   I've had plenty of kits in the past,  that were absolutely dreadful to build.......I've gave up on only one,  my entire life  :)

should you come across another ruler in your travels that you like.....snap it up!  I have three or four of them  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch